Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 satalite dish with 3 set top boxes?

• 09-02-2011 10:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,I would like to install Free to air in my house.

The electricain that recently rewired my house also installed a load of co-ax cable and TV points all around my house.He ran 2 co-ax cables to each TV point and then they go back up into my attic

I want to have 3 set top boxes in 3 different rooms in the house,in order to keep the family happy and keep the peace in the house.

So do I need to run 3 co-ax cables from the satalite dish to the 3 rooms,or can I just run 1 cable from the dish into the attic and then split it out via the co-ax cables up in the attic.

Would I also need a 3 way LNB too?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

Paddy,

Are you doing this yourself ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

ISAA wrote: »
    Paddy,

Are you doing this yourself ?

A friend of the family,whos big into diy is going to do the manual work for me.Well,he has offered to do it for me anyway.

I just want to know and find out what is the best and most logical way to do this.

Will 1 cable from the satalite dish to the attic,and then split out to the different co ax cables give me 3 different set top box locations.

Or do I need to use a tripple LNB on the dish,and then run 3 co ax cables from the satalite dish to the attic and the co ax cables there??

thanks.:)

Pic of 1 of the TV points during the rewire,2 co-ax cables to each Tv point.

I co ax goes back to the main living room,the other co ax goes up into the attic.

First of all I would suggest using a professional company, as this type of installation could cause you problems in the future, poor quality connector, etc.

But I would suggest a multi switch 4 or 8 output.

4 satellite inputs, 1 Terr, input, so all signals come down one signal cable in each room.

The above costs a few bob, but done the right way.

You could use a quad L.N.B, but you could have line joins in the attic, which could cause issues, if not done properly.

A few good sat suppliers on here for all equipment, and excellent advice.

Regards,
    Best of luck,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Paddy before you plaster up I'd make sure that the coax and the mains cables are kept well apart, perferebaly with a phyisical barrier bewtween the for best practice. I'd also change the patress/socket boes for a double gang so you can have double size triplexed wallplates to give you maximum flexibility.

You should run four cables from the dish to your central connection and a 5th for a terrestrial antenna. As Gerry says though you should seek professional advice, remeber the electrician does not have to make it work and it will be hard to fix things once the walls are plastered.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

paddy147 wrote: »
    Hi,I would like to install Free to air in my house.

The electricain that recently rewired my house also installed a load of co-ax cable and TV points all around my house.He ran 2 co-ax cables to each TV point and then they go back up into my attic

I want to have 3 set top boxes in 3 different rooms in the house,in order to keep the family happy and keep the peace in the house.

So do I need to run 3 co-ax cables from the satalite dish to the 3 rooms,or can I just run 1 cable from the dish into the attic and then split it out via the co-ax cables up in the attic.

Would I also need a 3 way LNB too?

Many thanks.
    A friend of the family,whos big into diy is going to do the manual work for me.Well,he has offered to do it for me anyway.

I just want to know and find out what is the best and most logical way to do this.

Will 1 cable from the satalite dish to the attic,and then split out to the different co ax cables give me 3 different set top box locations.

Or do I need to use a tripple LNB on the dish,and then run 3 co ax cables from the satalite dish to the attic and the co ax cables there??

Paddy, just to add to the two previous posts from two respected trade professionals and regular posters here - my suggestion from a non-professional diy point-of-view would be as follows

- Satellite dish with Quad LNB (4 outputs) & terrestrial aerial i.e. 5 feeds into attic
    - a min. of 3 cables from attic to the main TV (living room) - 2 satellite, 1 terrestrial
    - a min. of 2 cables from attic to the other rooms - 1 satellite, 1 terrestrial
    - connect terrestrial aerial feed to distribution amplifier to feed each room
    - satellite feeds cannot be split like a terrestrial aerial feed so connect each LNB attic feed to a room feed in the attic (2 to the main living room if you wish to use a satellite PVR)

As Tony said above I'd replace the single pattress/wall boxes with double deep boxes (done it myself, hammer & chisel job) .
    Pic of 1 of the TV points during the rewire,2 co-ax cables to each Tv point.

I co ax goes back to the main living room,the other co ax goes up into the attic.

I would run all cables from all rooms back to the attic for future flexibility instead of from room to room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

The Cush wrote: »
    Paddy, just to add to the two previous posts from two respected trade professionals and regular posters here - my suggestion from a non-professional diy point-of-view would be as follows

- Satellite dish with Quad LNB (4 outputs) & terrestrial aerial i.e. 5 feeds into attic
    - a min. of 3 cables from attic to the main TV (living room) - 2 satellite, 1 terrestrial
    - a min. of 2 cables from attic to the other rooms - 1 satellite, 1 terrestrial
    - connect terrestrial aerial feed to distribution amplifier to feed each room
    - satellite feeds cannot be split like a terrestrial aerial feed so connect each LNB attic feed to a room feed in the attic (2 to the main living room if you wish to use a satellite PVR)

As Tony said above I'd replace the single pattress/wall boxes with double deep boxes (done it myself, hammer & chisel job) .

I would run all cables from all rooms back to the attic for future flexibility instead of from room to room.

I'd agree with the above, except for I'd run 4no cables from central location to main TV instead of 3no.

A good idea to run the 2no cables to all other locations, all though you could get away with 1no, 2no is better.

I'd agree with the above, except for I'd run 4no cables from central location to main TV instead of 3no.

I agree, my suggestion was a minimum of 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

slightly off topic , dont forget to run 2x cat5 (or better) as well to the main tv ,you never know what you will use it for in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

4 x Screened Cat5e, if you want to use a pair of them for HDMI!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i'm doing the same thing one of these days too, but basically i just want to run the cables through the attic and down to the rooms before the plasterwork is done. why would you bring 2 sat cables to the main room? is that for pause and rewind?
    forgive my simplicity but all i'm doing is running cables to save trouble in the future. why recommend 4 cables altogether for the main room?

why recommend 4 cables altogether for the main room?

Because as the saying goes " You are better looking at them than looking for them"

why would you bring 2 sat cables to the main room? is that for pause and rewind?
    forgive my simplicity but all i'm doing is running cables to save trouble in the future. why recommend 4 cables altogether for the main room?

Twin tuner satellite PVR (recorder) requires 2 sat cables. Terrestrial aerial requires 1 cable.

The 4th cable would be a spare for future use, possible Saorsat use or feed back to attic, better to run before plastering just in case.

John mac wrote: »
    slightly off topic , dont forget to run 2x cat5 (or better) as well to the main tv ,you never know what you will use it for in the future.

The electrician did that,he ran 2 cat 5 cables from the attic,where the main eircom line comes in,down to the living room.He said it was for the likes of Sky and NTL in the future.

The rear of my house is south facing.

What position should the satilite dish face generally,for the freesat/freeview channels?

I dont want the dish stuck up on the chimney like some un-godly like horrible looking structure.

So where can the dish be located?Can it be located just above the sloped kitchen roof on the side wall of the house??

Please see pic attached.

My plan is to get my mate to do the labour intensiove part,and run the cables in for me,but then get a satalite professinal in to fit the various connectors,hook everything up and fit the dish and LNB in its location.

Thanks.:)

Take a look at this Paddy and fast forward to the dish alignment part just after 2 mins

Tony wrote: »
    Take a look at this Paddy and fast forward to the dish alignment part just after 2 mins

So,my house is facing south,more or less.

And in the video it states,28 degrees east of due south...Yes??

If so,then can you tell me if the dish could be placed up on the side wall of my house,over the sloped kitchen roof?

Please see pic in my post above.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

Yup. (if the pic is showing the south facing elevation ) See Below

Paddy the pic is useless without knowing exactly what direction its facing. Try www.dishpointer.com which will tell you exactly where you need to point

So,my house is facing south,more or less.

And in the video it states,28 degrees east of due south...Yes??

If so,then can you tell me if the dish could be placed up on the side wall of my house,over the sloped kitchen roof?

Please see pic in my post above.:)

Paddy the pic is useless without knowing exactly what direction its facing. Try www.dishpointer.com which will tell you exactly where you need to point

I didnt think that pic was "useless".

The pic is for a "general" visual reference and I was asking about placing the dish up on the wall above the sloped roof.

I am well aware that the dish will have to be at the corect angle and degree (fine tuning),but I asked about a general location in regards to the wall and being south facing.

• Advertisement

John mac wrote: »
    Yup. (if the pic is showing the south facing elevation ) See Below

It is (rear south facing),thanks.:)

Well since you already know more than me Paddy i'll leave you to it.

The pic is actualy not useless,as you claim.

Well since you already know more than me Paddy i'll leave you to it.

I never said that did I?????

So please dont act like that towards me.

I said the rear of my house is south facing.

I said that my mate was going to do the cable laying for me,to cut down on labour costs.Also there are still some floorboards up,so access for running co-ax cables is handy to get at,at the moment.

I merely asked was the wall above the sloped kitchen roof a good general location in which to place a satilite dish with regards south facing and standard freeview channels (also for cable running and location purposes).

I then said that I would most probably get in a professional installer to fit the connectrs,hook up the dish and LNB and make it all happen.

Thats exactly what I said.

If you dont wish to help me or dont want the connection/hook up work,then that fine by me,and Im sure that there are other professional TV/Satalite installers that can gladly help and oblidge and will want the work and the fee.

regards.

I merely asked was the wall above the sloped kitchen roof a good general location in which to place a satilite dish with regards south facing and standard freeview channels

And its impossible to answer that question accurately from the picture you supplied. I suggested you look at dishpointer.com which will answer your question with 100% accuracy, did you take a look at that site?
    If you dont wish to help me or dont want the connection/hook up work,then that fine by me,and Im sure that there are other professional TV/Satalite installers that can gladly help and oblidge and will want the work and the fee.

regards.

Paddy I and many others have been helping people here on this forum for more years than I care to remember and its not about looking for work, frankly I resent the suggestion. If you ask for advice, ignore the advice and then argue with the answer you are given then there is very little I or anyone else here can do to help you.

I wish you well and hope you get what you need.

And its impossible to answer that question accurately from the picture you supplied. I suggested you look at dishpointer.com which will answer your question with 100% accuracy, did you take a look at that site?

Paddy I and many others have been helping people here on this forum for more years than I care to remember and its not about looking for work, frankly I resent the suggestion. If you ask for advice, ignore the advice and then argue with the answer you are given then there is very little I or anyone else here can do to help you.

I wish you well and hope you get what you need.

Well you just come straight out and "state" that my pic is useless.

The house is south facing as stated a few times,and your video stated 28 degrees east of due south for satalite location.

I then asked you was that correct,and with regards general dish location and a fixing point of it.
    I im the IT/Networks sector and know a few things about cabling,networking and running cabling and also drilling holes and running very long cable and fibre optic runs,as do some of my mates.

Im not a professional TV/Sat man,so my intention was to get all the messy cabling work done,and then have a professional sat installer pop by my house and make it all live for me and my girlfriend,so that we could have 3 different set top box locations in the house

So I kinda resent your comments towards me with regards the the term "useless" and then this post of yours.

Maybe we have got off on the wrong foot,so to speak???

P.S-I dont want cables all over the exterior of my house and just bashed in any auld way,I had that before with NTL in another house and it was a horrible mess and holes drilled everywhere,both externally and internally too.2 damaged stud walls to boot.Total bunch of useless gobshytes.:mad:

This time my mate is doing the cabling and I want and expect a discrete and neat job with no unsightly cables visible on the house.So hense him doing the physical cable instalation work.

Appoligies to Tony,for any offense caused to him,not intentional on my part.

Maybe we can start again on a clean slate??

Paddy I think you perhaps misinterpret what I meant by the term "useless". I meant in so far as determining whether the dish location would work or not it was of little value.

I know you said the house is south facing but I did not want you to be disappointed down the road if the installer arrived and then at that point discover the location would not work as you would have liked. Over the years I've arrived at many houses where a short run of cable was run to a point that did not work.

If dish pointer does not clarify the exact direction you need to point I'd sugest you leave several metres of cable spare at the point where you wish to install the dish, then as a worse case scenario a bracket could be used to get the dish working. Your pretty much covering all the bases then.
    Appoligies to Tony,for any offense caused to him,not intentional on my part.

Maybe we can start again on a clean slate??

Yes of course

Paddy I think you perhaps misinterpret what I meant by the term "useless". I meant in so far as determining whether the dish location would work or not it was of little value.

I know you said the house is south facing but I did not want you to be disappointed down the road if the installer arrived and then at that point discover the location would not work as you would have liked. Over the years I've arrived at many houses where a short run of cable was run to a point that did not work.

If dish pointer does not clarify the exact direction you need to point I'd sugest you leave several metres of cable spare at the point where you wish to install the dish, then as a worse case scenario a bracket could be used to get the dish working. Your pretty much covering all the bases then.

Yes of course

Thanks for the advice regarding leaving extra cable.

better to be looking at it,than looking for it.;)

First of all I would suggest using a professional company, as this type of installation could cause you problems in the future,

Paddy as I said :

• Advertisement

ISAA wrote: »
    First of all I would suggest using a professional company, as this type of installation could cause you problems in the future,

Paddy as I said :

Whats the problem with getting the cable run in,and ready for the "professional" to come in fit the connectors and hook it all up??

Ive run in fibre optics,cat 5s,50 and 100 pairs and alarm cable before,so whats the problem with running co-ax cables??

It would take the time consuming and expensive part of running the cables,out of the cost.

Or am I wrong on this?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Amazingly it may not safely bend any tighter than fibre without internal screen or dielectric damage. Pretend it's fragile fibre.

Hydrophobic Foam filled copper foil + copper braid is best. TX100, PF100 etc, 75 Ohm satellite grade cable. The RG58 type 50 Ohm "Cheapernet" type coax and its RG 59 75Ohm cousin (used for FM Radio and VHF cable TV indoors) are much more robust and can bend about x4 or more tighter radius. Sat cable is also easily damaged by Tie wraps or cable clips too tight. (RG58 and RG59 are fairly useless for UHF TV/Radio which is up to 864MHz, never mind Satellite IF which is 950MHz to 2100MHz).

So do any experts want to come over to my house and advize me on the correct bable to use and give me a quote for the work too???

Please feel free to PM me.Im in Artane Dublin 9 area.:)

So do any experts want to come over to my house and advize me on the correct bable to use and give me a quote for the work too???

Useful sat cable link - http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page8.htm#H109

Can anyone help me to use this website to find out the satalite location in my area.

http://www.dishpointer.com/

I understand that I put my address into the top box,but I havent a bloody clue as to what satalite Im supposed to be looking for,from that massive list below.Looking for what ever satalites will give freeview and all the usual channels that come wth it

can anyone help me out here please??

Its astra 2 Paddy as mentioned in the video

• Advertisement

Its astra 2 Paddy as mentioned in the video

Thanks for that.:)

Can I ask,the green line that is in the pic,does that indicate the line/angle away from the house towards the satalite location??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Thanks for that.:)

Can I ask,the green line that is in the pic,does that indicate the line/angle away from the house towards the satalite location??

Yes, it does.

Rippy wrote: »
    Yes, it does.

Great,means that my dish can go exactly where I was hoping it would go.:)

Right,next question.

What cable should I use/install?

Went to an electrical wholesalers,but they were not that helpfull,as I think the chap behind the counter didnt really know much.

So what cable and where to buy it please?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Copper on Copper
    CT-100
    WF-100

• Advertisement

scaller wrote: »
    Copper on Copper
    CT-100
    WF-100

So either 1 of those will be fine then with regards satalite and being on an external wall??

I think the electrician who wired up my house used WF-100 for the various TV points in the house.

Or even Triax TX-100

So either 1 of those will be fine then with regards satalite and being on an external wall??

I think the electrician who wired up my house used WF-100 for the various TV points in the house.

I would say that your sparks used RG6 coaxial cable Instead of WF-100 to wire up your tv points

Advertisement