Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Store Mullingar

Options
  • 09-02-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody knows what is happening to the store in Mullingar, I have heard rumours that the store is going to be upgraded/ expanded in the near future.

The other retail units around it look like they are winding down, or are empty. I also was told that new site notices have gone up today at the pedestrian entrances by Green Road, but obviously haven't not had a chance to read them yet!.

Just my opinon, but I think this work is long over due as the store and the car park are in a very bad state, just ask any of the staff who work there. It's a pity we don't have a Tesco's like the one in Tullamore - but then we didn't have a 'Brian' representing us did we :D!!!

Any idea anyone? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

Tesco locations are not decided by the Taoiseach. Its a private sector decision driven by profits and financial gain for shareholders. Its not like a town getting a Government department or new ring road or something.....!

Anyway, Tesco in Mullingar bought the shopping centre and are demolishing it to build snazzy new store - think its going to be a 'Tesco Extra'.

Before you get too excited about what is effectively, a supermarket, remember that Tesco is a boring corporate monster lacking any personality or commitment to the local area. Personally I would rather support independents and local delis, butchers, fruit and veg shops and fish mongers etc.... rather than given my money to British shareholders. Even if that means I get 2 tins of beans for a €1 instead of 3.

People on this website make me laugh, as if having UK corporates are a sign of sophistication in small time Ireland or something. There ain't much exciting about buying bits of plastic from a catalogue in Argos. Give me independent Ireland any day my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

That should read "small town Ireland" and not "small time Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

Thanks for the prompt reply and your views on the Tesco corporate machine taking over Ireland. My original question was about the site notices that I have, since posting, had the chance to read.

All taken with a pinch salt :D (probably bought a Tesco's).

Advertisement