Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boland this year - HL English LC

• 09-02-2011 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

So, we all know she didn't come up last year and I'm wondering a)might they completely take the piss and not put her on it this year or b) will they, knowing full well that everyone in the country will be expecting it, make her question much harder than normal?

Obviously it would be foolish to just study her but I'm hoping covering Dickinson and Boland will see me through as apparently a woman poet must/should come up every year - according to my teacher. What are you guys gonna do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Muggwoffin

The whole "A female must come up" logic proved to be anything but last year :P That said I'm almost definite Boland will be on the paper this year. As is everyone else I talk to, the result of that being this; most of Ireland will answer on her so the standard will be extremely high.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Yeah good point it would almost be a good idea to do someone else, get marked easier for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Muggwoffin wrote: »
    The whole "A female must come up" logic proved to be anything but last year :P

Last time I checked Rich was a woman :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

She's a Jez-bean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

It's hilarious the way "notexactly" thanked that. Am I the only one who see's the humour in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

There's no 'must' when it comes to the Leaving Cert. A female poet usually comes up, as does an Irish poet so its a good idea to have those covered but don't rely on those assumptions. Boland's non appearance last year should have taught everyone that lesson (even though a female and two Irish poets were still on the paper). 'Usually' doesn't mean 'must' so the SEC could put any of the eight poets on....the only way to be sure you'll be covered is to study five of the poets really well.

Another thing to remember - so much of the focus is on Poetry and which poets will come up etc but the Prescribed Poetry Q. is worth a max. 50 marks......the same as a Q B (ie a letter/ diary entry/ speech etc) on Paper 1. Keep that in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

What would be a good sample question for boland poetry?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Muggwoffin

Ah, right you are :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

She more than likely will come up, but feminists piss me off to no end so I'll be sticking with the lads. Did Frost come up last year anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Nailed the mock question on her anyway :D Just as well because the rest of my Paper 2 was ****e :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

RMD wrote: »
    She more than likely will come up, but feminists piss me off to no end so I'll be sticking with the lads. Did Frost come up last year anyone know?

Nope.. Yeats did though as did Rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

RMD wrote: »

She's not that much of a feminist tbh... You don't have to like the poet to write about them you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Boland & Dickenson - Cover both those and you'd be pretty much safe I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I think Dickinson is more likely than Boland to come up. Both came up last in 05, but Boland also came up in 2002 (?), while Dickinson had never come up previously. Also, Boland is on the course for next year; Dickinson ain't! So I think it's possible that they could be evil, and not give us Boland!

But people will generally study both anyway I guess so eh... yeah......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭pbffan

So, we all know she didn't come up last year and I'm wondering a)might they completely take the piss and not put her on it this year or b) will they, knowing full well that everyone in the country will be expecting it, make her question much harder than normal?

Funny, I was just thinking the exact same thing.
    Yeah good point it would almost be a good idea to do someone else, get marked easier for it...

Fadhb eile :(

There's going to be at least one female, and surely at this stage Rich has been raped for all her worth, which means Boland and/or Dickinson. The fact that they came up together last time is worrying me a bit, hard to see them doing it again (remember now, I'm talking out of my arse here, nothing but guesswork). Maybe they would throw Rich in there just to screw with us, but let's be optimistic and put that thought out of our minds.
    I'd also say that one of Hopkins and Wordsworth will come up. Haven't covered either of them, so I'd rather they didn't.
    All of that leaves two from three: Kavanagh(please please please), Yeats or Frost. Paddy & Willie were both on last year, so I'd imagine only one of them would come up this year(although looking at the papers poets don't tend to be on in consecutive years), with Frost.

None of us are ever going to be 100% spot on, and you guess is as good as mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

Or they could put all the female poets on the paper. Then again, they might not have any. The SEC are constantly arguing that they are "well within their rights" to change the format of an exam, etc... By all means try to predict who will come up just once you realise it is a huge gamble. And can you afford to take said gamble?

Poetry is only 50 marks so it is by no means the most important aspect of the exam. I would stress that you all ensure you have a cracker of an essay for paper one (worth 100 marks). This translates to 25% of your overall result so getting an A here would take you a long way. The comparitive assignments and Shakespearean drama should follow respectively. Poetry, plus the QA and QB on paper 1 are only worth 50 marks so they should have less of an importance. Always leave the unseen poem until last because its only 20 marks which is nothing. Even if you can't get a chance to do it, 20marks out of 400 is only 5% .

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

My guess is Frost/Hopkins, Dickinson, Boland and Wordsworth

Advertisement