Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terrible DVD Visual Quality

• 09-02-2011 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place (direct me if I'm wrong) but I have a question about the visual quality of my DVDs.

I'll copy & paste from another forum where I asked and didn't get much help. (I made a few tweaks to this post VVV)

So I bought some DVD box sets over from America (I changed the region on my DVD player to Region 1)yesterday, and the visual quality of them is really bad. On parts of it, there are double lines/pixels around the characters facial features and clothes and stuff. Does anyone know if there's a cheap way to make the quality better? Is there a lead I can buy to make the quality good again? I was reading up the reviews on amazon and other people said their DVDs had bad quality as well, so it's not just something wrong with mine.

I have a really old TV with just a scart cable in the back, but I have this thing which I can put

Now, I changed the TV Type to NTSC after writing that, and it has helped a bit on the TV (It's still blurry on my HD laptop). It still happens on certain sections of it. It especially happens when I pause and fast-forward/rewind.
    Would turning on progressive scan would help it? I don't have much money to spare, but I need a new TV soon anyway, so I guess that's not out of the question.
    Also, I've opened the box set so there's no returning it to Amazon. :(
    Help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

What are the DVDs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Europe is 25fps and 576 lines (1/2 the lines alternately 50 times a second, 50Hz, thus Interlaced)

USA/Japan is 30fps and only 480 lines. (1/2 the lines alternately 60 times a second, 60Hz, thus Interlaced)

Two issues:
    1) it's 30% less resolution

2a) if film source, the transfer for Europe plays the 24fps frames at 25fps, and the transfer has the sound pitch pre-lowered at mastering by 5%, so notes stay in key. Running time is 5% less. Progress playback does nothing to quality and 24fps playback makes sound pitch 5% too low. 2:2 pulldown

2b)For USA Japan, not only is there only 480 vs 576 lines :( but they use 2:3 aka 3:2 pull down at playback time (the DVD is stored 24fps 480 line). Unless the DVD player uses 24fps progressive or 60fps progressive.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine

Bottom line: US region transfers from Film are rubbish watched in Interlaced NTSC. Better in Progressive NTSC, best at 24fps Progressive (still only 480 lines) and even then 30% poorer than "PAL region" Interlaced playback. If you watch US region DVD in "PAL" playback at least you get no pulldown artefacts, but likely even more blurry due to 480 -> 576 frame conversion!

They are bad, because they are bad.

Only buy BluRay from USA, and only if your HDTV can do 24fps for Film origin and 30fps interlaced or 60ffps progressive. Don't buy USA DVDs.

Advertisement