Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf can't be colourful

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

As a registered building they had no right to do it and got no permission to do what they did with it as far as im aware. There was a minor uproar when it happened from the council but have heard little since. Huge support from the townsfolk kinda suppresed any action against them.

Tis certainly eye catching anyway, at first i hated it but its grown on me quite a bit at this stage, hopefully they keep it nice and vibrant anyway instead of leaving it to fade, which wouldnt be long happening right in front of the sea id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Is it under the jurisdiction of DCC or Bundoran Town Council??

irish1967 wrote: »
    Is it under the jurisdiction of DCC or Bundoran Town Council??

It was on the front page of the Post at the time (cant find it on their useless site), and I think it was the town council though I really havent a clue if im honest

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Found this link on the work and the artist. Whats the signifcance of the building to make it listed?

Personally I think it looks preety awsome.

What gets me is that it obviously wasn't painted at night by a ninja painter under cover of darkness. I'm sure BTC members (one of whom works a few yards away and at least one who drives past it every morning) saw it in progress and did nothing at the time. Then some people say something and they go into council mode. Silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

Is planning permission needed to paint a building now?? :confused:

If it's listed. Yes. ... I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

I missed the part that said it was a listed building, they haven't much of a leg to stand on then so.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

They should leave the mural up, it definitely brightens up the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I thought this might be relevant.. On Vancouver Island, this town gets 500,000 visitors every year because of their murals. I was there myself a few years ago, its about the size of Donegal Town. They decided to create 20 murals back in 1981 in a bid to attract tourists after their lumber industry collapsed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

I hear Vancouver Island is supposed to be a great party spot too. I must check it out sometime soon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

inode wrote: »
    I hear Vancouver Island is supposed to be a great party spot too. I must check it out sometime soon :D

I see you are in Vancouver already! Make sure to visit Chemainus, Vancouver island is a brilliant spot, Salt Springs Island also.

Seriously though, imagine if plannng permission was granted to a few towns in Donegal to have murals depicting the history of the area, or even murals such as on the hostel in Bundoran, it really adds to a place. When a town or location promote the arts, in any of their forms, it helps raise its status of the place.
    The town I mentioned, Chemainus, went to having zero visitors per annum, to 500,000 all because of some paint, wall space, a few very skilled people, and a town council who had vision. Tourism is now their number 1 industry.

And it is officially gone, I was walking past today and witnessed its demise as three lads were attacking it with rollers with white paint on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

And it is officially gone, I was walking past today and witnessed its demise as three lads were attacking it with rollers with white paint on them.

Its a dam shame that this happened, just goes to show too, even though its yours you still can't do what you want with it! I wouldn't mind but some of the houses along that stretch of road are very dilapidated, it would fit them better to do something about them. I don't envy them painting it either, will take a good few coats to cover. With the multi-coloured theme it had before. Heres a photo i took a while back of it...

5037110381_53cba7197a_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

A pity; it went with the sea side theme. I'd rather murals any day of the week over some of the McMansions thrown up everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I find the thing quite ugly tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Just another example of the fuddy duddy country we live in thought it brightened up that town IMO.

Advertisement