Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSAP EXAM

Options
  • 09-02-2011 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey I was just wondering if anyone had any hints or tips for sitting the msap exam?
    I am a 26year old mum of one(a four month old boy)so getting the time to sit down and do one of the essays is pretty limited!! I'm afraid that my essay writing skills are not up to standard,while I know the structure of the essay and am pretty good grammar-wise, I fear that my knowledge of public affairs might not be so great!!:eek: Also I don't think that my vocabulary is that varied!! :confused:
    I am wondering if there are any books that I might be able to buy that would cover such topics, that may be aimed at sitting the MSAP!? I bought the book that you have the option to buy when you register for the test, but there are only eight different prompts on that and all relating to more or less the same topic.(2 different topics for each essay) Also I was wondering if there was anywhere I might buy or find more of the short questions in the second part of the test??
    I am a bit frazzled at the moment, as this is something I desperately want to succeed at. Any help or advice will be very much appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Hi, I sat this exam last year so I know what you're going through!
    The first essay is on education, it's usually about your experience of education or why you want to return to education. So give it some thought on what your answer could be to these questions. Some books on essay writing would definitely help. There's a book called writing better essays, that could help with grammar and how to write during exams.
    The second essay is on a social isssue- not much you can prepare as they don't really hint at all but once it has a good structure you should be fine.
    The second part of the exam is quite different, the only way to prepare is to practice with the sample paper and maybe order the extra paper. The best way to do well in this section is to manage tour time. Only spend around a minute and a half per question, don't read the whole text, pick out the parts that the questions relate to.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bananamama

Bobby42 wrote: »
    Hi, I sat this exam last year so I know what you're going through!
    The first essay is on education, it's usually about your experience of education or why you want to return to education. So give it some thought on what your answer could be to these questions. Some books on essay writing would definitely help. There's a book called writing better essays, that could help with grammar and how to write during exams.
    The second essay is on a social isssue- not much you can prepare as they don't really hint at all but once it has a good structure you should be fine.
    The second part of the exam is quite different, the only way to prepare is to practice with the sample paper and maybe order the extra paper. The best way to do well in this section is to manage tour time. Only spend around a minute and a half per question, don't read the whole text, pick out the parts that the questions relate to.
    Best of luck.

hey bobby42, thanks a million for that information. I have the book here that I got when I registered, on it it has sample prompts and the two different categories have four different prompts, all relating to similar topics in each prompt!!
    The first prompts lead to you writing an argumentative type essay on social issue ie. violence in media should be prohibited and censored and the second set of prompts would lead to you writing a personal essay. but I would have thought that it could be on anything, as the four different prompts are regarding childhood being difficult and children being mean, that sort of thing.
    So there definitely will be an essay type question on returning to education and why or something along those lines??!
    Thats great if I knew that for sure I would be much better organised for at least one essay!!:D

When I did it the personal response was going to be on education as all the sample papers had something on education but that may have changed so don't tie yourself to it. The first part of the exam is only an hour long so realistically you're going to get 2 to 3 pages per essay so focus on quality rather than length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Where / what time is this held in Dublin on 19th? I registered but got no information on anything...

Where you're doing your exam should be on your ticket which gets sent to you about a week before the exam.
    I did mine last year in the Blackrock UCD campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

I don't want to sound like an ass or put you off applying to college but if you don't have the time to practice for one essay you're going to be in big trouble when you start college. There will be lots of times when you'll need lots of work in and exams to study for. I'd start getting used to time management now to have the best chance in college.

Best of Luck. It's tough but worth it.

GSOIRL wrote: »
    I don't want to sound like an ass or put you off applying to college but if you don't have the time to practice for one essay you're going to be in big trouble when you start college. There will be lots of times when you'll need lots of work in and exams to study for. I'd start getting used to time management now to have the best chance in college.

Best of Luck. It's tough but worth it.

I understand the time and commitment that comes with college! I don't know if you have kids,but the first couple of months are quite difficult (i imagine the rest of it won't be a walk in the park either) but there are routines to get in place, feeding patterns to establish,teething and weaning! Throw into the mix that i'm flying solo and just recently moved house,then you might be able to understand my predicament further! Finding time at this moment in time is hard,but i've managed somewhat!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Wineport

The MSAP test will go well for you. You sound determined and focused. Best of luck to everyone on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Confused2011

Hi bananamama hope today went well for you!

How did people find the exam today?

I thought the multiple choice part was pretty tough. It felt more like a vocabulary exam than an apptitude exam. I didn't think it was as much a case of taking information from the text and applying it to the suggested answers as it was a case of understanding the context of what was being asked...

I thought the essay part was ok, but really didn't enjoy that exam one bit!! haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

[Jackass] wrote: »
    How did people find the exam today?

I thought the multiple choice part was pretty tough. It felt more like a vocabulary exam than an apptitude exam. I didn't think it was as much a case of taking information from the text and applying it to the suggested answers as it was a case of understanding the context of what was being asked...

I thought the essay part was ok, but really didn't enjoy that exam one bit!! haha

Yea, I honestly flew threw the prep questions online and in the extra booklet but I found this test particularly hard. II had the bookley one finished in around 45-50 mins. This one as much toughter imho.

Plus the exam in Galway had lots of tiny distractions, like bloody phones ringing in bags left at the end of the hall (how can people not remember to switch phones off... how many years are mobile around now?)

Ah don't mind me anything would have distracted me.

I got bogged down on the puerto rico part in sec. 2, was more like a diagrammatical problem than anything else. that thing threw me completely, and then i had to rush the end. I honestly don't know about the results I fear i may have done badly-- am a bit down, had expected things to go much better.

Essay part was ok, ah pretty good, was happy with the questions overall, the first essay I did had a decent structure, i did waffle a bit towards the end of the second one but got off an ending in both.

Well, to all who took the test well done and I hope everyone gets the results they want.

woops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I did the test this morning. I was satisfied with the second section however I feel I did poorly in the first section. My mind went blank on several occasions while writing the essay. Being meticulous with my written English I generally don't work well off the cuff under a small time constraint. At least I feel I didn't make too many spelling or grammatical errors.

I did the test this morning. I was satisfied with the second section however I feel I did poorly in the first section. My mind went blank on several occasions while writing the essay. Being meticulous with my written English I generally don't work well off the cuff under a small time constraint. At least I feel I didn't make too many spelling or grammatical errors.

I completely understand about working under constraints. Most people work better knowing they have time to edit sloppy grammar etc. and the test pressure really makes you write amateurly (well in my case) although in retrospect I'd say a prudent move (and a very disciplined aproach, too) would have been writing out 3-4 really general essays for each section. Bit harder for the first section but if you covered things like progress, human society, and one or two borader themes you could probably work in well crafted paragraphs.

But I, being young and lazy, would not do it. (yeats would be happy with that :rolleyes:)

As i said in prev post above, very dissatisfied with myself overall performance in section 2, prob ensured i got a few middle questions right but at the cost of the whole paper. I used to read widely, and now have become lazy, and the difference is obvious as you lose little tricks and shortcuts to clarity and understanding. I learned something about myself today: i'm not half as smart as i had always assumed.

Were spelling and grammar that important in the test?

I was sure they weren't, and neither were the subject content of your essay, it was mainly to do with how you structure and present it?

I don't know. Feck it, it's done now, so all I can do is wait it out.

Best of luck to everyone who took it, hope we all report back getting the courses we wanted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 samo2011

hey guys how did the test go today?? i was thinking of doing next years test, im travelling this yr but i was looking at the sample paper on the MSAP website and i was wondering what prompts they gave for the 2 essays?? i might be doing a similar test very soon to get into college abroad and this cud be good practice material!? hope you can help me out and hope the test went well for u all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sineadoc

Hi,
    I have done the test today as well... I thought it was very tough, but I am a non-Irish, so you can imagine how difficult I have found it to fully understand what I was reading. Overall my comprehension was ok, but as somebody else said, it was not simply looking at the text and getting information from it, there was some "guessing"..
    Essays were fine

The prompts were about technology... I don't remember the others, but the one I have developed was something like "the car has been as much of a curse as it has been a benefit".
    The second one was about friends and family... the one I have done was "the family is the basis for growth and development, but it can also be a limitation"

Anyway I think essays are not half as difficult as section 2... that was really hard. I also did well on the sample questions I have seen on-line, so I was quite reassured, but the real one.. I don't know.. there are very few answers I am sure of.
    Good luck!

hey i was wondering how people got on today doing the MSAP test how did they find it? im thinking of sitting it next year as i am not around this yr but may be doing a similar test abroad and want to use the essay prompts as practice as well as being curious as i was going to do it!? if u can let me know it would be very helpful ! thanks john!

Hi jack the lad! What puerto rico part? I can't remember seeing anything about puerto rico! Thanks

Hi jack the lad! What puerto rico part? I can't remember seeing anything about puerto rico! Thanks

The informal/formal peice, you know where you had to identify wheither the speaker communicated formally or informally. Totally fecked me up.

• Advertisement

thanks sineadoc! i hope u did very well and u get what u want in the end! can any1 else remember what the prompts were that they wrote about???????????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sineadoc

just curiosity, samo2011, what test are you going tomorrow and where do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 xlaurenx

I have been waiting on someone to put a post up on this. section 1 was grand , there is no right or wrong answers as its your opinion on whatever topic / prompt u choose to write on. As for the diagram in section 2 HAHA (the diamond one) ..... i dunno :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 trollster

Hi alls, did the MSAP at UCC yesterday, some of it was double edged.....the Puerto Rico question looked like a science table equation lol.

The essays were not too bad......altho I made a counter argument as to the prompt statement on travel being the greatest advancement of the 20th century.........wasnt sure whether they wanted compliance or debate, so being a kranky old git I went with debate....have to see what way that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I thought the Puerto Rico schoolchild question was confusing at first. I got the gist of the thing after re-reading the terminologies for each of the terms within the triangles.

Overall I felt the second section was not as hard as the one on the sample paper on the MSAP site, and I was glad to not see any poetry.

The informal/formal peice, you know where you had to identify wheither the speaker communicated formally or informally. Totally fecked me up.

Oh yes I remember now! I was totally confused when I first looked at it but I think I made it out at the end but on saying that I could have been totally wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mona Olsen

I found the second part of the test ok-ish, although I found myself making a guess more than I did on the sample paper online. I was delighted not to see any poetry as that's my weak area. I thought the question on Porto Rico was pretty straightforward, as long as you understood the diagram there was a very clear right/wrong answer! But I spent ages on the one with quotes on experts, and the passage about science/hypotheses; I found there was just subtle differences in the answers and changed my mind a few times!
    The essay titles didn't suit me. I though my first one was good (by my own standards!) but my second one was terrible, really childish writing and I kept drawing a blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dozydora

Anyone who thought it was easy must be genius or else I am thick as two planks. I thought the paper itself was rather difficult compared to the sample paper which I had purchased. The two graph questions were double dutch to me but having said that I am out of school more than 30 years. I made some sense of one, the other I just took a guess at. The first part was fine even though I know I could have done much better, should have put in some practice writing essays. I dont think anyone can really judge with the 2nd part, not unless you had the paper in your hand to analyise it which one doesn't as they take everything back so you dont really get a chance to do a postmortem. Anyway will just have to wait and see. Would be interested to know how everyone else got on.

I too, am super disappointed with my approach to the whole exam!!I done too much on the first essay,leaving me short of time for the second one! That question on the puerto ricans just had me completely bamboozled!!I couldn't figure it out!!I'm not holding out much hope in getting a college place and am already looking at other options!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mona Olsen

bananamama wrote: »
    I too, am super disappointed with my approach to the whole exam!!I done too much on the first essay,leaving me short of time for the second one! That question on the puerto ricans just had me completely bamboozled!!I couldn't figure it out!!I'm not holding out much hope in getting a college place and am already looking at other options!!

Hey, don't lose hope. Nobody seems to have come out thinking they did great. You're graded in comparison to the rest of the applicants, so you don't have to do great - just better than the others!
    Plus your personal statemnt is also taken into account. Don't write yourself off just yet.

Advertisement