Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Fein to get rid of Garda Reserve

• 10-02-2011 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭

No that I would ever vote for this thuggish economically bankrupt shower, but for any Reserves or potential Reserves out there even thinking of voting for Sinn Fein, they stated today in their Justice Policy Document that if in Government that they would scrap the Garda Reserve. Sinn Fein state that the funds used from scrapping the Garda Reserve would be put into employing full time Gardai, so with the Garda Reserve allegedly costing one million a year, what does that mean an extra 20 Gardai? Does this now mean that the GRA who are completely against the Garda Reserve will now be calling on all full time members to support Sinn Fein in the upcoming election?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0209/breaking50.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

gilly2308 wrote: »
    No that I would ever vote for this thuggish economically bankrupt shower, but for any Reserves or potential Reserves out there even thinking of voting for Sinn Fein, they stated today in their Justice Policy Document that if in Government that they would scrap the Garda Reserve. Sinn Fein state that the funds used from scrapping the Garda Reserve would be put into employing full time Gardai, so with the Garda Reserve allegedly costing one million a year, what does that mean an extra 20 Gardai? Does this now mean that the GRA who are completely against the Garda Reserve will now be calling on all full time members to support Sinn Fein in the upcoming election?

I highly doubt that the GRA will support SF. Let us not forget the Gardaí murdered by the IRA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

I was disappointed to see this included in their proposals, however I would imagine you'll be preaching to the choir, since I'm possibly the only frequenter of the Emergency Services forum who would publicly support the party in question.

Political snipes aside, from a policy basis, I think it's counter-productive and the Reserve is perhaps one of the most important areas for the development of community policing in the future. On face value, the rest of their proposals are the most sensible when compared to other parties which read like a 12 year old's essay on gangsters but contain very little substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Of course the SF policies also have their basis in gangsterism, no:eek:

Of course the SF policies also have their basis in gangsterism, no:eek:
    Nope, unfortunately for you they don't. They have their basis in the views of elected representatives who sit on JPCs and work with Gardai on issues affecting their communities everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

shampon wrote: »
    I highly doubt that the GRA will support SF. Let us not forget the Gardaí murdered by the IRA

and also let us remember republicans murdered by the security forces

• Advertisement

rasper wrote: »
    Indeed, that's the other side of the coin. Some people obviously want to view things from their own position without thinking of the others, while there's nothing I can do to stop that, I think it's inherently dishonest and self-serving.

But I think we should note the topic of the thread is not a history of any particular conflict, but the pros or cons of a particular policy position.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

Playing devil's advocate, maybe SF has a point here.

As it stands, without full police powers, how much can the GR really contribute to the full-time force?

In this time of austerity and rising crime/disorder it would seem prudent to invest any and all available policing funds into the recruitment of professional polis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

SF are the only party who come up with sensible solutions to preventing and tackling crime. This is part due to their prominence on the ground in communities. The Garda are under resourced and there's a big communication problem with Gardai and communities which has to be resolved as a lot of young people are growing up with a negative opinion of the Gardai which obviously is bad for society as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

but for any Reserves or potential Reserves out there even thinking of voting for Sinn Fein,

I think its safe to speak on behalf of Gardaí everywhere......if anyone even thought of voting SF.....dont bother applying for AGS.
    Playing devil's advocate, maybe SF has a point here.

As it stands, without full police powers, how much can the GR really contribute to the full-time force?

Their budget is quite small so it doesnt effect the coffers too much.

I personally think they are a good asset to have.....depending on the reserve.....

rasper wrote: »

Show us an example in the republic of "republicans" murdered by security forces......if you cant.....dont even bother replying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

NGA wrote: »
    I think its safe to speak on behalf of Gardaí everywhere......if anyone even thought of voting SF.....dont bother applying for AGS.

here here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Their budget is quite small so it doesnt effect the coffers too much.

I personally think they are a good asset to have.....depending on the reserve.....

ireland is a functioning democracy is it not , does this also apply in the gardai ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Not really. Rank and file members don't get to vote for their next Commissioner. Not too sure what you mean?
    danbohan wrote: »
    ireland is a functioning democracy is it not , does this also apply in the gardai ?

psni wrote: »
    Not really. Rank and file members don't get to vote for their next Commissioner. Not too sure what you mean?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gilly2308
    but for any Reserves or potential Reserves out there even thinking of voting for Sinn Fein,

posted by nga

appears that if nga is a member of an gardai or the gardai reserve he does not believe members should 1 vote for any party the so choose to do , 2 that members of sinn fein should not be members of gardai /reserve .

hardly the comments one would expect from somebody tasked with upholding democracy in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

Quote:
    appears that if nga is a member of an gardai or the gardai reserve he does not believe members should 1 vote for any party the so choose to do , 2 that members of sinn fein should not be members of gardai /reserve .

hardly the comments one would expect from somebody tasked with upholding democracy in this country

So by your logic if a member of the Nazi party wanted to join AGS they should be allowed to do so?

In the real world membership of some political groups is incompatible with a career in the police.

So by your logic if a member of the Nazi party wanted to join AGS they should be allowed to do so?

In the real world membership of some political groups is incompatible with a career in the police.

course if you look at the history you will find very close nazi links to the gardai

sinn fein are a political party in this country , they have support of maybe 10-15% of the population , so you are happy to exclude those people from policing ?

course if you look at the history you will find very close nazi links to the gardai

sinn fein are a political party in this country , they have support of maybe 10-15% of the population , so you are happy to exclude those people from policing ?

Yes, I seem to remember members of the Guards fighting at the battle of the bulge and helping evacuate members of the SA/SS from the tough fighting in Stalingrad..../Sarcasm

Nobody should be excluded from the process of having their community policed, regardless of their political views, I find the fact that Sinn Féin think they could even implement a policy in the South as laughable, the members of SF couldn't catch the clap in a mexican whore house let alone run a country, a rag tag bunch of thugs yeah, but a country dont make me laugh Sir.

The issue I have with Sinn Féin is their vigilante ideas of justice and their links to the IRA, I feel the same way about all Republican groups who I see as been counter-productive and lack any real goals other then 'ridding their communities of drugs' while selling them at the same time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I find the fact that Sinn Féin think they could even implement a policy in the South as laughable, the members of SF couldn't catch the clap in a mexican whore house let alone run a country, a rag tag bunch of thugs yeah, but a country dont make me laugh Sir.

I don't support Sinn Fein but im staggered at how you think the elected parties did a good job?

Fianna Fail may have set the country up for a fall unwittingly, but they absolute fu~~ed every single tax payer in the ireland with their response to the recession. They've driven us into a very deep hole we'll be in for the next 10 years.

How could Sinn Fein have done any worse?

I don't support Sinn Fein but im staggered at how you think the elected parties did a good job?

Fianna Fail may have set the country up for a fall unwittingly, but they absolute fu~~ed every single tax payer in the ireland with their response to the recession. They've driven us into a very deep hole we'll be in for the next 10 years.

How could Sinn Fein have done any worse?

I didn't vote for FF or the Greens I never have and I never will vote for them. They did what they could, they ****ed up royally and I could care less. What do you expect from a bunch of barristers and teachers (;)) anyway?

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot we were all starving, famine was rife and were on the brink of our third civil war in the last twenty years. Tell me, is the glass half empty or what? Your not eating grass to survive which, if Sinn Féin ever got into power would be a rare delicacy considering their North Korean model for economic growth.

Alright I was taking the piss above. I think it's time that we as a Nation recognized the fact that we must push on regardless and stop moaning about every little thing that effects us. I cant stand negativity.

Anyway, It's not the politics forum.

Nobody should be excluded from the process of having their community policed, regardless of their political views,
    Woah, thanks for re-assuring me, for a minute there I thought the ghost of Eoin O'Duffy had taken over this thread.
    shampon wrote:
    The issue I have with Sinn Féin is their vigilante ideas of justice and their links to the IRA, I feel the same way about all Republican groups who I see as been counter-productive and lack any real goals other then 'ridding their communities of drugs' while selling them at the same time...
    I really wish you and your cohorts would stop painting people with the one brush. I don't have any links to the IRA, nor have I have any draconian knee-cap blasting theories on the criminal justice system. So I despise being stereotyped because I support a lot of the current policies of a particular political party.

Some Gardai need to catch up with the times, and the fact that they are supposed to be a non-political force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I didn't vote for FF or the Greens I never have and I never will vote for them. They did what they could, they ****ed up royally and I could care less. What do you expect from a bunch of barristers and teachers (;)) anyway?

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot we were all starving, famine was rife and were on the brink of our third civil war in the last twenty years. Tell me, is the glass half empty or what? Your not eating grass to survive which, if Sinn Féin ever got into power would be a rare delicacy considering their North Korean model for economic growth.

Alright I was taking the piss above. I think it's time that we as a Nation recognized the fact that we must push on regardless and stop moaning about every little thing that effects us. I cant stand negativity.

Anyway, It's not the politics forum.

I fear that there's little difference in the calibre of candidate between the parties. They are equally as stupid and corrput, to draw comparisons between them as worlds apart is imo foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cash_123

Guys, I cant see this thread heading in a good direction. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and to express it, but lets not get into a debate over political history and try to keep this section of boards.ie directly related to those interested in The Garda Reserve.

cash_123 wrote: »
    Guys, I cant see this thread heading in a good direction. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and to express it, but lets not get into a debate over political history and try to keep this section of boards.ie directly related to those interested in The Garda Reserve.
    Yeah I agree that its a good idea. But for a seemingly established member of a supposedly non-political force (a poster, who I might add has previously appeared reasonable and whom I held some respect for), which we all depend on to express such a bias is unacceptable and unreasonable.

ILA wrote: »
    Yeah I agree that its a good idea. But for a seemingly established member of a supposedly non-political force (a poster, who I might add has previously appeared reasonable and whom I held some respect for), which we all depend on to express such a bias is unacceptable and unreasonable.

I understand where your coming from horse, I consider myself apolitical and if we were to discuss any political party I would have more grievances with the established centrist and center right parties and their views on how the criminal justice system is administrated, funded and how their policies effect the mules, probation officers, prison staff and the even the criminals. I believe in political and personal freedoms regardless of community background or past political/ paramilitary actions. SF in their credit have shown that they can embrace change when fought to a stalemate and their acceptance of the PSNI and Patten reforms are to be commended, as thirty years ago these changed would be laughed out of any SF party meeting. Change is good.

Where I draw the line is criminality, I do believe that every major political party in this country has or is engaged in some form of criminality and dishonesty, from Haughey and the Arms trail to the cover up of abuse and political interference in criminal cases, the political system of this state is rotten to the core. IMO the new SF are still reeling from the past and their leadership needs to come clean on their past involvement in the murderous campaigns of yesteryear, just like FF must come clean with their involvement in the multitude of scandals they have become linked to.

Now all that said, If SF can be seen to embrace and come clean on all that happened during these years, I can see them making huge gains within the middle classes. The poster was right if SF have 10/15% of the vote in this country, then representation at all levels of government and policy is right. A member of AGS is asked are they a member of a political party before they join, at-leat I was. I can see how being a member of a party could hinder an officers judgement. I think that the political appointing in the Guards should stop as it is a disgrace that any political party can have a say in policing in this day and age it's a joke.

ILA wrote: »

AGS is non political....however while SF continue to assist murders and criminals and fail to condemn, I will always be against them.....as will the vast majority of AGS.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sinn-fein-backs-ferris-role-in-mccabe-killers-release-1879121.html

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055577197

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

AGS is non political....however while SF continue to assist murders and criminals and fail to condemn, I will always be against them.....as will the vast majority of AGS.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sinn-fein-backs-ferris-role-in-mccabe-killers-release-1879121.html

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055577197

Amen brother!

For those who say they are a changed party.. I for one have not, and will not, forget the 'operation' that was put in place to conceal Jerry McCabe's killers release that involved decoy cars etc. An elected member of the Dail spearheaded it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mod Note: I am locking this thread as to be honest folks, this is the Garda Reserve forum and not the Politics forum! If their is anyone in here who wants to discuss Sinn Fein or their policies for this upcoming general election, please feel free to contribute to the discussions or start your own threads over HERE in the general election 2011 forum.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement