Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Photographers

• 10-02-2011 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi guys

Not sure if this is the right place but i'm looking for a photography studio around the Malahide area that does portraits. My sister in law just had a baby and they have everything they need so i'm thinking a voucher for something like this would be a good pressie? Also just wondering how much something like this would cost?

Any help/comments appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

This the one http://www.gigglesandsmiles.com/

Prices seem on par for a studio, €80 for shoot and €62 for a framed 7x5. Budget for around €140-150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Borderfox wrote: »
    €62 for a framed 7x5.

:eek: You're not serious?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

What do you think it's worth colonel?

Seems like the usual prices I see for studios, rent and rates to take into account not just the cost of a print and frame

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ascuteasabutton

Excellent suggestion some of the pics on the website are fab think it would be well worth the money!! Thank you :D

• Advertisement

Hugh_C wrote: »
    What do you think it's worth colonel?

Well I don't know, but certainly not €62! It's cents to print the pic and a few € for the frame. OK, one has to factor in the studio costs, but isn't that included in the €80? :confused:

Rip-off Ireland at its very best, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Photography is an expensive game.

Check out www.moments.ie the girls aremembers here and are absolutely brilliant at baby portraits as is davidos, maybe someone can link to his site as I cant remember the address but he is great too, both do house calls and take stunning baby portraits and family shots.

Photography is an expensive game.

Check out www.moments.ie the girls aremembers here and are absolutely brilliant at baby portraits as is davidos, maybe someone can link to his site as I cant remember the address but he is great too, both do house calls and take stunning baby portraits and family shots.

After seeing those prices I really don't have anything to say on the matter... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

colblimp wrote: »
    After seeing those prices I really don't have anything to say on the matter... :eek:

For the quality of their work the gals at www.moments.ie are great value.

Their lower priced package lists out - as long as the photo takes until they're happy, all the processing involved, a 12x16 print in frame and 2 5x7's in a frame, along with a CD with copies to print off as you choose.

And considering the photos they take, it's more than worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Fajitas! wrote: »
    For the quality of their work the gals at www.moments.ie are great value.

Their lower priced package lists out - as long as the photo takes until they're happy, all the processing involved, a 12x16 print in frame and 2 5x7's in a frame, along with a CD with copies to print off as you choose.

And considering the photos they take, it's more than worth it.

So true, if I went again Id be calling the girls out myself, always amazed by their work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Well I don't know, but certainly not €62! It's cents to print the pic and a few € for the frame. OK, one has to factor in the studio costs, but isn't that included in the €80? :confused:

a few euro for the frame? please let me know where you're getting frames for a few euro - maybe ikea, but i'd expect they're supplying a better frame than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I think there is a real perception that most photography is a "rip-off".

Maybe it stems from the abundence of point and shoots and facebook. i have no idea. Anyway, not de-railing the thread, but moments.ie are really really good. It may seem expensive, but in the end what you get is well worth it (in my humble opinion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Some costs:

Labour. Even churning a single photo out takes more than a mere few minutes. A shoot could take many more.
    Downtime
    Rent
    Space light heat
    Professional fees (accountants and the like)
    Rates
    Admin overheads
    Advertising/promotion/marketing
    Materials
    Depreciation
    Electricity
    Equipment purchase and maintenance
    Insurance

What else have I missed?

It's the old real cost of a cup of coffee canard. The product isn't so cheap when all the factors in its production are properly considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Labour. Even churning a single photo out takes more than a mere few minutes. A shoot could take many more.
    Downtime
    Rent
    Space light heat
    Professional fees (accountants and the like)
    Rates
    Admin overheads
    Advertising/promotion/marketing
    Materials
    Depreciation
    Electricity
    Equipment purchase and maintenance
    Insurance

You're 100% correct here.

Someone recently posted an article (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70027999&postcount=21) where the photographer in question attempted to compare the value of an expensive burger and chips (based on portion size and price) to his great value for money wedding package.

He simply want to compare the portion size and cost of the meal to the lifetime of happy memories the photos could provide.

The thing is... he seemed to completley disregard all of the hotels operating costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

A few cents to print makes me laugh.
    Have you seen how much a refill cartridge costs for just a cheap printer, even cheap photo paper. Then take in to account expensive archival pigment ink and papers and it costs much more than a few cents. What would yo think if you hung your lovely new baby pic on the wall and in a couple of months the picture had vanished and you just have a frame on the wall.

After the cost of printing you have to make sure you use an acid free mount and backing board, frame in beautiful high quality wood and then seel it from moisture. The frame may even be hand made (but probe not) this all costs more than a few euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

You could stick to your point ansdshoot combined with a cheap home printer and you'll be able to churn out those priceless memories and save your few cents. They may very well fade as time goes on...

Alternatively you could pay a professional to do it and the prints will last.

Framing can be expensive but if it is done well it can make a big difference to a photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

would people let someone who has "good tools" work on the brakes of their car

do people buy cheap chinese parts for their car or washing machine etc

its kind of the same thing, although i guess if you buy a cheap picture frame and photo, its not like someone is gonna die or anything

but, people book professionals to do professional jobs, so why do people not think its the same for photography

I get a lot of that Steve, taking pictures indoors in an pitch black showjumping arena and people are giving out paying €15 for a picture. One person was giving out to me with the usual "sure a print only costs 10c" took all I had not to hit her over the head with €6500 worth of camera :)

Advertisement