Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI Radeon HD 4250

Options
  • 10-02-2011 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have the following Laptop, anybody got any idea where I can get an update for the graphics, there is no support on the ATI website for that model, I am having an intermittent problem with the graphics on the computer which is really frustrating. I occasionally use the laptop for Video DJ work and I keep getting a message saying Invalid version of DirectX, please download at least DirectX 9, you can download it from the microsoft website, I have the latest updates for DirectX and like I said, it is an intermittent problem, works perfectly probably 70% of the time, the other 30% I get the above message, would updating the graphics make any difference or am I on the wrong track, my knowledge of computers is average I am afraid, if anybody can help I'd be really grateful, all replies appreciated.

Toshiba Satellite L650D-102 500GB HD, 4GB Ram, 2.10Ghz Dual Core Processor

Processor type : AMD Athlon™ II Dual-Core Processor P320
    clock speed : 2.1 GHz
    2nd level cache : 1 MB
    Operating system
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Design Colour colour : Precious Black with black full-size flat keyboard
    System memory standard : 4,096 (2,048 2,048) MB
    maximum expandability : 8,192 MB
    technology : DDR3 RAM (1,066 MHz)
    Hard disk capacity : 500 GB
    drive rotation : 5,400 rpm
    DVD Super Multi drive (Double Layer) compatibility : CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-R(DL), DVD-RW, DVD R, DVD R(DL), DVD RW, DVD-RAM
    maximum speed : Read: 24x CD-ROM, 8x DVD-ROM/ Write: 24x CD-R, 4x CD-RW, 10x HS CD-RW, 24x US CD-RW, 8x DVD-R, 6x DVD-R (Double Layer), 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD R, 6x DVD R (Double Layer), 8x DVD RW, 5x DVD-RAM
    type : DVD Super Multi (Double Layer) drive
    Display size : 39.6cm (15.6”)
    type : Toshiba TruBrite® HD TFT High Brightness display with 16 : 9 aspect ratio and LED backlighting
    internal resolution : 1,366 x 768
    Graphics adaptor manufacturer : ATI
    type : ATI Radeon™ HD 4250 Graphics
    memory : total available graphics memory can be up to 1,405 MB with a 32-bit operating system and 3 GB system memory or 1,917 MB with a 64-bit operating system and 4 GB system memory
    memory type : shared

Internal video modes The following internal video modes are supported:
    resolution : 1366 x 768
    Max External Video Modes Max Resolution : 2,048 x 1,536
    Max Refresh Rate : 100 Hz
    Non-interlaced resolution with max refresh rate : 1,600 x 1,200

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Did you try installing the x64 mobility catalyst control centre?
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/11-1_mobility_vista_win7_32-64_ccc.exe

Type "windows experience index" into the start menu to get it to re-check your computer after you've installed and rebooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Monotype wrote: »
    Did you try installing the x64 mobility catalyst control centre?
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/11-1_mobility_vista_win7_32-64_ccc.exe

Type "windows experience index" into the start menu to get it to re-check your computer after you've installed and rebooted.
    Just did that, no luck, still getting the error message, I'm not a gamer as such but it won't allow me to play any games either, if you insert a Gaming CD and click to play nothing happens, very frustrating as it is an excellent machine in every other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Go here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Notebook Graphics > Radeon HD Series > Mobility Radeon HD 4xxx Series > Windows 7 64-bit

Zillah wrote: »
    Go here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Notebook Graphics > Radeon HD Series > Mobility Radeon HD 4xxx Series > Windows 7 64-bit
    Had given up on this thread cheers, I have done that repeatedly and I get told that "ATI catalyst cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware / software on your computer. The version of your graphics adaptor is not supported"

I have since found out that many other users of this particular GPU have had similar problems. Had sort of parked it for a while, but will contact Toshiba customer helpline, machine is out of warranty however so won't be holding my breath for a satisfactory conclusion. I may sell the machine to somebody who only needs one for emails and light usage etc, as medium spec gaming laptops are now available for very reasonable money in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oh. That's really weird. I would do the following, in the following order:
    1 - Wipe the graphics drivers completely and try a fresh install with the newest ones. If that doesn't work, go back to the old one.
    2 - Wipe directx and reinstall the latest version. If that doesn't work;
    3 - Reinstall windows.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No support on that site for the Radeon 4250 either. May just end up reinstalling. Thanks guys

Advertisement