Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inistioge Puppy Rescue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Riley is our jack russell, she is three years old, sits on my lap whilst I am on the computer in the mornings, she can see into the wood from the window and talks to anything that moves.
    When our 12 year old goes to school she has to look out at the school bus and sits on the window sill, licking the window.
    Before Riley we had Moses our cat who came away at weekends.
    There is a history of dogs and cats but that is outside this post they were London and Buckinghamshire animals.
    Have a nice day, at least the sun is shining.

I am very surprised that there has been no response from the rescue centre or indeed any one who lives near to Ballygub regarding the saved puppy well dog now in the UK.
    Surely we must have a boarder, now there is a good title down in the beautiful Nore Valley.
    Anything would help, are we going to be beaten, of course not.

What a shame we are getting no reply from anyone in Ballygub or Inistoige about the puppy rescue, lets hope someone reads the thread before too long

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

I know someone who knows Brenda and I'll see what I can do about getting the query to her.

You are a treasure to be sure, hopefully MrsHeber is still reading our boards over in the UK, once again so many thanks, regards and a couple of barks from Riley, Foxy

• Advertisement

Hi, is there any further news on the rescue centre? I might pop in when next we go Karting at kiltorcan, but anything might help. Regards

MrsHeber wrote: »
    Hi Autosport, nooooo not at all - now I am worrying incase I implied you were rude ! Oh dear .... ! Sorry if I implied you were being rude, which I didnt think you were in the slightest ....
    I'm incredibly grateful for any help, advice, comments, time given reading my waffle etc.
    What sort of dog do you have ? And Foxy, how many dogs do you have ?
    Hi if you can go into facebook Brenda is on, Inistoige Puppy rescue, regards Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Got my dog from there too 7 years ago. Travelled from Laois to get her. Saw about 50 dogs there and she stood out to me. Lab/German Shepard. She was certainly abused before she was rescued and to this day can be a little nervous but she's turned out a fantastic loving creature. She's been best friends with my st.bernard from day 1. She uses her as a pillow! The St. Bernard is getting on in age now and she's gonna be lost without her. I'd say I'll be paying another visit up to inistoige in the near future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Think I'll be going soon. Need another dog for company for my little dog now since my old girl died. Hard to see the dogs you leave behind at the shelter though.

Oh, and thanks to foxy for strangely replying to their own year old post to resurrect this thread.

Funny thing about pets how they become an important part of life, you never forget them when that ghastly time comes, yes I shed tears for a departed pal.
    I often wonder why there are so many unwanted pets, surely people are aware a pet is for life, all they want is love like all of us.
    I guess we are coming up to that time when people buy pets as a present, please don't unless it is a commitment on your part to make the pet part of your family, with equal rights, what's this well there are injections to be undertaken, micro chipping in the event of the unexpected and training and of course exercise.
    Apparently pet owners have an advantage over well being with those who do not, something to do with calming.
    Give a cat or dog a good home if you can.
    Foxy
    By the way if you have lost a pet, your new one is a whole new ball game
    it will never replace the lost one, so expect new ideas and habits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 MrsHeber

It's been a while - where does time go?
    Anyway hope you're all well and your hounds.
    My fluffy pal, Prince (formerly Benji from Inistioge) is still enjoying life, now doing a bit of agility training at a local rescue centre.

Not sure how to put a photo on here. I had an email via Facebook from Brenda saying she couldn't remember him :( but I'm not surprised as they must rescue many dogs x

Reading Mrs Hubers post, which is brill that the dear lady has responded and has been successful contacting Brenda.
    I was thinking about this Christmas present thing with puppies, the puppy is for life, unfortunately children only see the fun loving ball of fur, I want one.
    Well, it is up to parents and older siblings to make sure the children are aware of the responsibility of owning a pet.
    Feeding with fresh food and water in clean dishes is a first, it has to be strictly controlled there is no I cannot be bothered, the pet cannot feed itself.
    Then we come to the area no one discusses, something we all do and every other pet, yes toilet, in the main cats are cleaner than dog's however if you have a cat that stays indoors you will need a toilet tray, this must be changed everyday, no ifs and buts, you want a pet and this is essential to the health of the pet and everyone in the house.
    Dog's need to go walking, again no way round this, by the way I would personally not allow a child under ten years of age to take my dog walking, a bit over the top but a dog has great strength and could well pull a child into a road or other dangerous situation, better safe than sorry.
    We come to the toilet, dog poo when left is somewhat disgusting and even worse when trod in, the child does need to be trained in clearing the poo and disposing of it hygienically, with out doubt the need to carry plastic bags is an essential part of the kit and a small bottle of hand sanitiser.
    It is not even a chore if you love your pet, it is an honour to make sure no one can complain, this also includes your garden at home.
    Treat your pet as a person, remember the bigger the pet the more poo.
    If a child cannot come to look after this aspect of a pet I would say sorry you are not ready to have one, let someone who is going to love the pet have it.
    Hope this makes sense, Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

We got a rescue dog from Brenda about 14 years ago, he was a little Maltese terrier and we called him "Pip" because he was tiny. We were short cash at the time, I only had about a tenner on me and I gave it to Brenda.....I still feel kinda bad about it all these years later.

Pip lived in a Tayto box that had a towel in it for a few weeks until I got my first wage from a new job. It was around November I think because the first thing we did was we went to Argos and bought him some toys and a tartan beanbag for him to sleep on. We also bought us our first Christmas tree.

Pip died about 3 years ago of heart failure. He had a bad start in life, I personally think he was abused or hit by a car because I really think he had brain damage.......he just used to always walk in circles, and always anti-clockwise!! :)

We still have that same Christmas tree and my wife wants a new one but I won't hear of it.......I keep saying that we got that tree when we could barely afford the rent and Pip lived in a Tayto box......it brings me back to reality.

Anyway, that's my little story. Hope it didn't bore you!

What a lovely story about Pip and the Tayto box, so there went a lucky dog, lets hope they have found another Pip from Brenda, love makes the world go round.
    Any more stories like that one, so beautiful after all the other things which are really not nice, funny we keep our Christmas decorations in Tayto boxes, ideal for storage.
    Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

He had a bad start in life, I personally think he was abused or hit by a car because I really think he had brain damage.......he just used to always walk in circles, and always anti-clockwise!! :)

I saw a documentary about dogs recently that explained that this is a form on compulsive behaviour in dogs. Usually brought on by stress, conflict or frustration. So I guess you're right that your poor dog had a poor start.

Well done to you for giving your pet such a great life afterwards.

When I was younger we had a little King Charles called Frasier that lost an eye when it was attacked when it was just a little puppy. When we got him first he wouldn't come out from behind the couch with fear. Little by little he grew to trust us and made himself comfortable in our home.

He was the most loving dog and I like to think that we gave him a happy home to live in. He passed away 10 years ago from old age. Heartbreaking. He really was a part of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

We have another little dog now, a Yorkie and we love him to pieces. We have a ritual every time I com home from work.....I park up the car and my wife opens the door of the house, he runs out and jumps into the car and onto my lap. Then he jumps out again and waits on the third step of the stairs for a belly rub. When I rub his belly I'm "officially" home! :)

Little dogs have more humanity than most humans. One of my favourite quotes:

"A dog is the only animal that will love you more than it loves itself" - Josh Billings.

This is a pic of our dog......

You won't find more love than the little Yorkie, in many ways the love of a pet is pure, it might be based on the food and warmth you provide, but what you give you will get back.
    However be careful what you feed your pet, apparently chocolate can be fatal, actually no visitors to the home are allowed to give titbits, especially young children, onions are also supposed to be a no go area, they can be in stews and such like, if you are going to buy a pet buy a book on that particular pet to make sure what you are feeding.
    But most of all enjoy the love and affection, word of warning do not smack your pet it will not understand, if you have little puddles in the home, it was your fault for not taking it out.
    Foxy with his favourite friend Riley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

food and stuff bad for a dog

garlic is a no no

lily of the valley flower every part of is deadly to both cat and dog

even the lilys you get in flower shops...

most flower bulbs

the pith ie seed of peaches and plums bad too...if broken cyanide poisoning

all chocolate

onions

too many bananas.. small amount is fine...

banana skins

etc...

I am sure Brenda at the puppy rescue Inistoige provides a complete list of do;s and don'ts for our little furry friends. However what Pegasus posts are very real problems once you have your rescue puppy home.
    One thing that amazed me was do not throw sticks for your new pal to retrieve, apparently it can cause all sorts of problems from splinters and broken teeth, the same goes for cooked bones again, they can splinter and jam up in the little and come to that big dogs tummies.

Facebook status update --John O'Dwyer small animal hospital

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=728098353926773&id=187114268025187

These are a few extra poisoning risks associated with the Halloween season.

Good to know..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Fwank wizzo

pegasus1 wrote: »
    food and stuff bad for a dog

garlic is a no no

lily of the valley flower every part of is deadly to both cat and dog

even the lilys you get in flower shops...

most flower bulbs

the pith ie seed of peaches and plums bad too...if broken cyanide poisoning

all chocolate

onions

too many bananas.. small amount is fine...

banana skins

etc...
    Wouldn't be so sure about Garlic being bad for a dog.Ive often heard its excellent for them.My own fella recently had a rash all over his stomach and was listless.Tried all the creams/vets etc and nothing worked until we gave him 1/2 a clove mixed in with his food for 3 days straight.
    Result-back to his best.
    Maybe he just came out of whatever he had himself,I dunno but whatever happened,he was fine after it.

Wouldn't be so sure about Garlic being bad for a dog.Ive often heard its excellent for them.My own fella recently had a rash all over his stomach and was listless.Tried all the creams/vets etc and nothing worked until we gave him 1/2 a clove mixed in with his food for 3 days straight.
    Result-back to his best.
    Maybe he just came out of whatever he had himself,I dunno but whatever happened,he was fine after it.

Are you serious???

http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Garlic-Toxicity-and-Pets.aspx

as an edit I'm adding these...

http://www.petguide.com/health/dog/the-shocking-truth-about-dogs-and-garlic/ Read the comments at the bottom!

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/garlic/

and more poisonous stuff here

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/foods-are-hazardous-dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Fwank wizzo

I am indeed.
    And it worked a treat.
    The dogs eyes are crystal clear,his coat shines and he is back to his old hyper self.
    Garlic and it's benefits have been around an awful lot longer than the Internet,vets and pharmaceutical companies :)

We have certainly learnt a lot as a result of Mrs Huber's query, thanks my lady, as least our dogs will be better protected, and we have been able to give Brenda some well deserved space, it is impossible to say what a brilliant person she must be caring for our little unwanted furry friends.
    They may not be pedigree dogs but the love they give to their owner's no we are not we are minder's, they become part of the family and should have the same respect.
    The response has been really super from all of you, thanks so much.
    Foxy with Riley our Jack Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Damer

Serious questions to be asked following the viewing of this bbc programme
    http://youtu.be/2M5o9dcomsk (hope this link works)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Representative from the puppy rescue in inistigoe was on the radio yesterday and came across very badly I though.As you say Damer serious questions to be asked,and answered.

Representative from the puppy rescue in inistigoe was on the radio yesterday and came across very badly I though.As you say Damer serious questions to be asked,and answered.

I didn't watch all the video. Was inistigoe mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Dtp1979 wrote: »

I dint watch it either but according to excerpts from it that were played on the radio yesterday it is mentioned. There is something unnerving about puppies being transported from here to the UK and being handed over in a motorway services. I will watch it this evening though.

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Yes, it was...I have known what was going on for months, there are also other places involved..dogs would be released from pounds before the five days...sent to england to be sold for cash...no vac. shots inc. oblicatory rabies shots and no passport...

• Advertisement

That's pretty shocking to be honest

Advertisement