Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrel threading..

Options
  • 10-02-2011 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

I will probably get my .243 threaded for a suppressor this year, funds permitting & heres a few Qs for U's...

Who is good at this work ?
    How much?
    Whats the most popular thread size/cut?
    Should I shorten the barrel when I'm at it? (by much).
    Does it (supressor) reduce the kick by much/alot?

On firing I completly loose position and sight of Quarry until I can reposition and focus again, Im usually only concerned if I dont here the thud before this.
    Can anyone hold their view to see their quarry drop or is this just for the movies and scope cams.

Tanx cc 30...........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

I will probably get my .243 threaded for a suppressor this year, funds permitting & heres a few Qs for U's...

How much?

On firing I completly loose position and sight of Quarry until I can reposition and focus again, Im usually only concerned if I dont here the thud before this.
    Can anyone hold their view to see their quarry drop or is this just for the movies and scope cams.

Tanx cc 30...........
    If i were you i would go to a gun smith and not to a back street workshop. You could reduce the barrel length to 20" or less with not much effect on accuracy . A moderator will reduce kick and flip by a lot making keeping your eye on shot a lot easier .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Who is good at this work ? Ferghal White
    How much? Get a quote
    Whats the most popular thread size/cut? 1/2 UNF
    Should I shorten the barrel when I'm at it? (by much). What length is it now?
    Does it (supressor) reduce the kick by much/alot? Yes

Tanx cc 30...........

I would be inclined to think about a Muzzle-break. Ferghal made me one and it's the business!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Fergal White and John Green are the two main men for getting rifle work done. There are others that can do it, but these men are custom rifle builders and spend all their time doing precision work so go to either of them.
    How much?

Its not too expensive, but i'd say between €70 - €90 max.

1/2" unf or 5/8" - 20 would be the two i would think off. However it depends on the moderator, and barrel thickness. You cannot put a 5/8 on a thin barrel. Same way as you wouldn't (not couldn't) put a 1/2" thread on a heavy barrel rifle.

Not really necessar unless you want to. If its a T8 or another mod that comes down over the barrel then i wouldn't see the need for it. If its a Ase Utra that protrudes from the end of the rifle and causes excessive "tipping" (makes its front heavy) then it might be an option. As to minimum length, a rifle barrel cannot be shortened to less than 50cm (20" -ish). So depends on the length of your barrel now.

Usually yes. Can reduce felt recoil of a .308 cal to that of a .223 or there abouts.

Tanx cc 30...........

You can overcome this with practise on your hold and follow through, but the mod will make this much easier.
    Glensman wrote:
    I would be inclined to think about a Muzzle-break. Ferghal made me one and it's the business

+1 to that.

Its another option as its gives the same reduction in recoil as a mod (if not a bit more), but does not provide any noise reduction. Only bonus is no need for "S" on the license to have one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Ezridax wrote: »

Its another option as its gives the same reduction in recoil as a mod (if not a bit more), but does not provide any noise reduction. Only bonus is no need for "S" on the license to have one.

I actually have a mod on my ticket- I just prefer the muzzle-break! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Same as that.;)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Once you go Modded, you'll never go back.

I fell in love with the Roedale mod when I first clapped eyes on it.
    almost 1/2 the weight of my Reflex.

The Mod reduces the recoil on my .308 a lot. Similar to my .223.
    the mod on the .223 makes recoil almost non existant.

The mod on teh right of fram is my favourite (alumimium black and screws apart)
    DSCN5094.jpg[/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Top advice from Ezridax +1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

.243 isn't a hard kicking round by any measure, I think you would be better off trying for a Moderator and the *S* on your license, if you are having trouble getting one then fit a muzzle brake but they aren't the most sociable things and if you do any lamping with a buddy good ear protection would be very advisable unless you want to suffer hearing loss.

Advertisement