Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

has zoo hair salon closed down?!

• 10-02-2011 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29

is it true zoo hairsalon has closed?!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

I heard it was going to close down - very strange considering they are a very busy and popular salon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 siobhan.m

ms. Liza wrote: »
    is it true zoo hairsalon has closed?!:eek:

Yes, I just got a text from them telling me it was closing down and if I wanted to see my usual stylist he is now at The Grooming Rooms - a mens only salon unfortunately so I'll be looking for a new hairdressers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dj21

I heard it too and just got a text, but I think The Men's grooming rooms does women's too despite the name, so the hairdresser gone there I'm sure would work with women too. Check out to be sure. Sad Zoo has closed though was a great hair salon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 siobhan.m

Dj21 wrote: »
    I heard it too and just got a text, but I think The Men's grooming rooms does women's too despite the name, so the hairdresser gone there I'm sure would work with women too. Check out to be sure. Sad Zoo has closed though was a great hair salon.

Thanks, I'll give them a call, I was really disappointed when I thought I wouldn't be able to go to him any more.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5 Carlinfella

Hiya folks,

Maybe I can help..I might possibly be the stylist in question. As of tomorrow evening Zoo hair salon will close it's doors and cease to exist . It's a sad day for all involved, my employers and colleagues have worked so hard over the last 13 years in our current location to build a very successful, exciting salon and a fantastic place to work. However, as we see every day around us now, even well established, popular companies are going out of business (Mermaid cafe/ Gruel amongst others). This is the case with Zoo. Thankfully I think all of us have work lined up so that is something to be grateful for.

In my case, I have joined with several former members of staff from Zoo and also colleagues of mine from my previous employer Robert Chambers, to form a co-op under the Artistic Director Andrew Dunne. We will be called 'Mane' and we are situated on the second floor of The Grooming Rooms. The Grooming Rooms did indeed start life as a Men's grooming emporium. I think last year the two owners, John and Cian, decided to diversify and added an entire range of Womens treatments - Eve beauty. The premises is a beautifully restored period building and the staff are absolutely smashing, I can claim this confidently as a former/current client:)

So, I can assure you, we will be catering for both Women and Men. Personally (am sure my new colleagues would agree) I will be looking to offer a more personal level of attention. It is my intention to offer my clients a relaxed experience in a gorgeous setting. It is an exciting new venture.

My apologies if this reads like an advertisement - it is not. When we send the SMS out to our clients, we are confined to 160 characters -not an awful lot of scope to explain our story and assuage any doubts or answer any questions our clients may have. Indeed my phone hasn't stopped since. I am trying to answer all the queries but I just thought I would pop on here and fill you guys in. I hope you will let anyone interested know what the situation is, as quite often there are a lot of rumours and gossip and that leads to confusion.

If you are clients of mine or just clients of Zoo I would like to extend my gratitude for your custom and loyalty, we would be delighted to welcome you to our new project, I am pretty confident you will love it. Anyway..I have taken up enough space here, I hope I have cleared things up.

Carlin Doran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hiya folks,

If you are clients of mine or just clients of Zoo I would like to extend my gratitude for your custom and loyalty, we would be delighted to welcome you to our new project, I am pretty confident you will love it. Anyway..I have taken up enough space here, I hope I have cleared things up.

Carlin Doran

PHEW! Hi Carlin, sorry to hear about the salon, it's a pity. Thanks for the update, I couldn't find any news about the closure online and I (and my sister) were having a mini panic!

Will be calling in soon for a taming of the mane, it's long overdue and I was putting it off until after Christmas.

Best of luck in the new venture, and it's great news to hear everyone has themselves sorted elsewhere.

Orla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Hi Carlin

Best of luck with the new salon..quick question though, does your price structure reflect peoples reduced incomes?

I know loads of people just crying out for a good salon with reasonable prices..if so, I might try you out too!

Hi Pixied,

Thanks for the best wishes. In response to your question about our pricing structure. Our salon is a co-op, we are all self employed and rent our chairs. So I can only speak for myself and my approach to my work. . I am focussed on improving the quality of the experience a client has when visiting me, I believe I will be offering a more personal service to my clients and allowing more time to do this. I will be providing even better value for money than my previous salon but I don't have any plans to lower prices. I think my pricing currently is a fair reflection of my work.

As for value, I think there is something out there for everyone, I really do. There are so many good hairdressers available these days to suit all budgets. As there are restaurants etc.. Hope this is of some help.

Thanks again
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 8 songbot

Hi there, could someone tell me did Cara go to the grooming rooms too? and if not, where did she go?

thanks

Deborah

• Registered Users Posts: 1 8jmac

Hi there,
    Both Cara and Aideen have gone to Salon Zeba on South William St..
    Jean has gone to Joseph Kramer on Wicklow St. and Paul has gone to Sit Still on Drury St. Is sad to see such a gr8 team split up. Hope ye all get to find your stylists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

As a long time customer of Zoo (and Carlin in particular), I was very worried when I was told Zoo was closing down, as Carlin is the only one who can tame my bush of head.

I had my first cut in the new premises on Thursday and I have to say overall I'm impressed.

It took me a while to find the grooming rooms and I was unsure if it was the right place as there are no signs for Mane outside or inside when I go there. However, the girl on reception was friendly and sent me upstairs. I met Carlin and it was his normal great service as usual (even got a little tour).

Good points:
    Coffee has gotten better, win!
    Decor is lovely (zoo was starting to get a little run down)
    Carlin as always was great craic and did a smashing job (the cut gets two thumbs up and a wolf whistle from the missus)

Bad Points:
    No sign outside, so I was 5 minutes late :(
    They don't have a laser card terminal set-up yet (but they promised it will be installed by my next appointment).

So all in all, its all worked out fine :)

Hey!
    I thought I better pop back on here as I have had a load of clients new and old in recently who found me through this thread eventually. I have moved out on my own as of the 26th of October last year. I had been temporarily renting a chair with the guys in Mane for 6 months in the aftermath of Zoo closing down. The opportunity arose for me to take the brave step of opening my own space in The Grooming Rooms building and it was too good to ignore. I have worked in some fantastic salons in my career but I suppose I have always wanted to put my own stamp on something. To apply all that I have learned as regards customer service and experience as well as ability to cut and style to my own pet project.

So I have opened my space called Flatiron after the New York Building on the top floor of this building, it's a great room with a very New York/London feel to the operation (not just my words, clients too) and a very personal level of service on offer. I am currently on my own but would love to take someone on later in the year when it is financially viable for me..I cut both Women and Men's hair and am one of the main stockists for Bumble and Bumble in Dublin city centre.

I have had outstanding support so far and hopefully this continues. Already the Sunday Business Post ran an article about me and a couple of other publications are intrested in running other pieces in the coming months.

Many thanks to all who have helped spread the word. It's always daunting starting off on your own, especially in these times, but people have blown me away with their efforts to find me and also to recommend me. I feel we are custodians of a very special little project and hopefully a very cool brand.

Thanks a mill again.

Carlin Doran - Flatiron
    www.flatirondublin.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread closed - due to age.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement