Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many here actually play ball?

• 10-02-2011 1:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious how many of ye play soccer?

Is it just sunday soccer?junior soccer?
    Or like me just an astro turf warrior twice a week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Play 3 times a week, twice with mates on astro Mon/Thurs and then in an 11 a side league with astro.ie on Wednesdays (top of the league with 4 games left!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Retired from club football. Astro turf warrior twice a week like yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I usually play in the Amateur Premier League of Western Australia. Not right now though as I did my cruciate :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i play meath and district league with my local club but nothing too serious the GAA comes first for me at the min but considering giving soccer a good lash for next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I usually play in the Amateur Premier League of Western Australia. Not right now though as I did my cruciate :rolleyes:

Whats the recovery for a non millionaire player?
    Same time frame?
    Bloody hard injury for an amateur to recover from given the medical exp. invovled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Wish i could to be honest but not sure how the knees would hold up these days.

The problem with knee issues is that it makes it harder to get back into football, 5's is a no no for me due the the more intense sprint-turn-sprint scenarios.

Eirebear wrote: »

The problem with knee issues is that it makes it harder to get back into football, 5's is a no no for me due the the more intense sprint-turn-sprint scenarios.

Well 8 years ago i could barely walk for 5/6 weeks,diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis,had stopped playing at 18 ish,16 years later due to good meds and lost weight i can now play twice weekly on astro if i look after myself.

If medically you cant play so be it but dont leave the mind stop you like i did for years.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Im still trying to cling onto the dream on the astro once a week :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

dahat wrote: »
    Well 8 years ago i could barely walk for 5/6 weeks,diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis,had stopped playing at 18 ish,16 years later due to good meds and lost weight i can now play twice weekly on astro if i look after myself.

If medically you cant play so be it but dont leave the mind stop you like i did for years.......

Thats good advice i reckon, maybe a lot of it is down to being all in my head.

Ive not played for about 5 years simply because of the pain i was going through after games, and i suppose it has built up in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I used to play about 3 stone ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

dahat wrote: »
    Whats the recovery for a non millionaire player?
    Same time frame?
    Bloody hard injury for an amateur to recover from given the medical exp. invovled

I did it in July last year but following three wrong diagnosis, I didn't find out I'd actually done it til November (I'd be trying to play in between cause apparently it was just strained ligaments :rollyeyes:). Had the op then and it's about a 9 month recovery all up. You just have to make sure you do all your rehab and stay motivated. My surgeon/physios look after the AFL and Super Rugby players amongst others here so I'm getting the best help.

Expense wise I was so lucky I had private health insurance. Total cost of the op was just short of $10k but I only had to pay about $2k of it.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I used to play about 3 stone ago

Stop eating like i did!!!
    Pleasure of attempting to play is great,got no speed at all,can be turned in a jiffy but still cute enough on the ball and before one attempts to turn me so i can play for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

I used to play for Lakelands FC when I was a kid, went off football for a few years but played five-a-side with friends during the past two summers. I've made up numbers a couple of times for a friend's uncle's astro team and seem fairly handy at scoring. :) I just wish they needed me for numbers every week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Play astroturf as often as I can, injuries permitting. Still get the odd twinge in both my knees and my right ankle

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Back when I was 17/18/19 I was playing a game every weekend.

22 now. I've been playing 5- and 6-a-side astroturf games (an hour or 90 minutes per week) for the last six months, and occasionally filling in for one of the local Junior teams whenever they've been stuck for a goalkeeper. I'd love to play and train every week, but other commitments have had to take precedence over the last few years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Stopped playing years ago due to knee ligament damage that went on for 2 1/2 years. Wouldnt mind committing again to a local club or 5-a-side kinda stuff. Would prefere coaching at this stage tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Play astro turf twice a week, getting back from patellar tendonitis this past few months, its great to play and not be in pain after. My brother had been playing with me recently but did his left cruciate 2 weeks ago after doing his right in august 09'. Poor bastard is only 18 and plays with castlebar celtic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Train Tuesdays, Astro.ie 6 a side on Thursdays, CCFL game on Sunday, had stopped playing for a couple seasons after college so getting back into things now. Can't wait until the season is over though, knocked out of all the cups already and fighting near the bottom of the table... and i miss my Saturday nights out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Retired from club football last year due to dodgy knees (They make sounds like Rice Krispies )
    Play astroturf soccer now twice a week .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Playing since under 9's til senior level , but a bad break to my right Tibia ended things when I was probably playing my best ball when i was 23/24.

Went back playing Sunday league and enjoyed it but couldn't give it the all due to work commitments etc .

Now I'm a twice a week astro warrior .
    5-a-side Mondays ... Full size Wednesday .

I'm slower but loving it .

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Play a fair bit myself. Astro warrior of a Monday and Wednesday. Train with the local club here and games of a Sunday.

Once the league kicks off the astro will be down to 1 night a week though.
    Pre season is a killer!
    Especially after the Christmas I had :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Play 5/6 a side on Monday & Wednesday and have training on Tuesday & Thursday with a match on Sunday.

By the time Thursday comes aorund its taking its toll but its worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Stopped playing about 3 years ago, due to moving. Only used to play Astro league, and 5-a-side 1-3 times a week. No scouts ever turned up to any of my games, or maybe they lost my number.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Currently injured, stupid ****ing groin will not heal up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

was thinking of trying to get the Soccer vs Poker forum game going again, would anyone be interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Wow,the amount of injuries!

Play Wicklow League but with work its hard to make training,also astro once a week with mates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Used to play Astro leagues with my mates up till last year we kept finishing second so we got fed up :( . I love indoor football play most Mondays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Only Astro/Indoor these days - twice a week usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

When I'm not injured I play astro 2-3 times a week with different crowds and it can vary from 7 a side to full pitch. Hopefully the group I play with at home are going to be entering a team into the CCFL next year (lowest league possible probably) and we'll see how that goes. Even if that doesn't happen I wouldn't mind starting to training and play with a proper team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

was thinking of trying to get the Soccer vs Poker forum game going again, would anyone be interested?

There's nobody left in the Poker forum, you'd have to go to their new forum to ask them :D

Played Intermediate LSL for 10 years or so until a succession of injuries and surgeries took their toll.

Masquerading as an Astro Warrior at this stage although I'm about 6 years and 3 stone out of shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Iago wrote: »
    There's nobody left in the Poker forum, you'd have to go to their new forum to ask them :D

Played Intermediate LSL for 10 years or so until a succession of injuries and surgeries took their toll.

Masquerading as an Astro Warrior at this stage although I'm about 6 years and 3 stone out of shape.

really? bah!!

well there may be enough for soccer vs soccer!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm too rubbish to play :( Wish there was a league for people who can't play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Used to play/ train 4 nights a week.
    Monday and Wednesday was Astro.
    Tuesday and Thursday training with the local team ( over 35's) ...dont laugh.
    Game on Sunday.

Damaged a small ligament in the knee, hard to get at/bad blood flow to the area. MRI scan and the Doc said no operation just 2 years rest.
    Im nearly 40 for Gods sake 2 years rest means retire.

So now I train the guys while standing around...tis very hard to watch when ya really wanna play.

Sorry longer answer than first anticipated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

play astro football Wednesday and Thursday, with a full size game on a Sunday, play in goals for the sunday game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Used to play in the LSL but had to stop training due to an illness. Just astro and gym now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Eirebear wrote: »

Hey, I was kinda similar too, had a couple of repeating ankle problems / fractures with the sharp turning involved in 5-aside. But have shed nearly 10 kilos recently in the past few months, and its done wonders. I'm playing astro 5- and 7-aside twice weekly now with no issues to report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

played in munster senior league til last season...at 18 i hung up the boots...but now im back. started off by getting to the final of the ucc cup...not bad eh? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

played in munster senior league til last season...at 18 i hung up the boots...but now im back. started off by getting to the final of the ucc cup...not bad eh? :cool:

You managed to leave out the result. So maybe it was :pac: :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Play 11 a side astro league tuesdays and thursdays. Was playing 7 a side on mondays up til recently also.

Also play 11 a side UCFL on saturdays. 29 shortly but i'm in good condition and pretty fit. No injuries really a few strained muscles here and there and a bout of shin splits but been pretty lucky tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Played for St Kevins (Whitehall, Dublin) up to about 14 and quit for another sport.

Back for the past year or so, playing astro monday lunchtime, thursdays, and saturdays as well as training on friday and a match on sunday for an LSL team.

Aim for September is to get back into a team thats more competitive and in higher leagues. Kinda hard to squeeze in around my boxing training which is Mondays Wednesday and Fridays but great for the fitness levels overall training so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

MOG7 wrote: »
    ... CCFL game on Sunday ...

What club are you with? I made a glorious comeback in the lower regions of the CCFL 2 seasons ago but done my back in so packed it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

This thread needs more poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Used to play astro 3 times a week but now only managed one game. Would love to make that 2 games a week though.

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    What club are you with? I made a glorious comeback in the lower regions of the CCFL 2 seasons ago but done my back in so packed it in.

Clonmore Utd, 3rd from bottom in Division 1 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

MOG7 wrote: »
    Clonmore Utd, 3rd from bottom in Division 1 :o

I was with Monksland United ... B team though so we were in the lower regions of D3 :)

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I'm too rubbish to play :( Wish there was a league for people who can't play.

FIFA 11 Xbox or PS3 whatever you choose!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

lordgoat wrote: »
    Currently injured, stupid ****ing groin will not heal up.

One of the worst injuries you can get. Two years ago mine got so bad it felt like I was ripping something everytime I kicked a ball. 6 months of going to a physio I still couldn't shake it properly. Eventually it went but it still comes back alot!

Had shinsplints at the start of last season for about two months! And last night I found out my knee that's been bothering me for awhile has tendonitis!

And I'm Only 23! Still though love playing despite the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Kilkenny and District Soccer league is where its at :cool:

Kilkenny and District Soccer league is where its at :cool:

What team do you play for? We played Evergreen in the cup a couple months ago, we got hammered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Ya I play....

And if by play you mean rooting it from the back up to the big lad up the front.

Then yes I play.

• Advertisement
Advertisement