Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many here actually play ball?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

nicklauski wrote: »
    You managed to leave out the result. So maybe it was :pac: :P

well we lost obviously.2nil :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Astro.ie of a Tuesday in Crumlin at the moment. Looking forward to the Summer league again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

So would anybody be interested in a soccer forum game? Maybe a one day 5-a-side round robin tournament if there was enough interest between us with a random draw for the teams?

Or an already organised tournament for charity:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70402177&postcount=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Play 5-a-side Mondays and Fridays and 11-a-side astro in UCD Superleague on Sundays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

VW 1 wrote: »
    So would anybody be interested in a soccer forum game? Maybe a one day 5-a-side round robin tournament if there was enough interest between us with a random draw for the teams?

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70402177&postcount=1

as i mentioned earlier i'd be up for getting a game together, either a just soccer forum thing or a soccer forum team in that tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Well if there is enough interest in the one day charity tournament above (7 or 8 [EMAIL="players@10"]players @ [/EMAIL]10 euro each for the tournament) I will sort out the entry, either reply here or drop me a PM with your details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

I play football regularly, but I'm young.

I have U15 training Tuesday and Thursday, U17 training Monday and Wednesday, Goalkeeper training on Wednesday, School Training on Monday, U15 match on Saturday, and U17 match on Sunday.

I'll let you know when I make it professionally. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

play each week with my team in Carlow. Bottom div of Carlow lge so not best standard!! Also play astro once a week in Dublin.

Would def be on for that astro tourny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I played in the Galway Ladies District League for 2 years with Cregmore (Greg Cunninghams first club) and also did training with the Galway Ladies team for a while.

Then that finished and I got lazy and put on about 2 stone.

Then the summer before last, I got my arse in gear and got a team together and wahey, Tuam Celtic Ladies had a team. Last summer we played in the "development league" which was essentially a rebellious and illegal league! When it was plugged, we were in top position.
    I played through shin splints (what a bitch they are!) by training twice a week and a match too.

We started up two weeks ago but I'll have to wait 'til april to go back training when I'm finished college.

I'm a 5 min walk from the college astro turf but I don't have anyone to play with. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Played for collage teams till final year (lectures late every day ruined that year for me.)

Since then has just been astro games as often as I can manage, up to 4 times a week at the best of times, down at 1 or 2 at the moment (well, actually at 0 right now thanks to another groin injury - plagued by them over the past 3 years!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Only ever just kicked around with mates and in PE, I was always pretty sh!te, played rugby for a good while, prop and second row, lost weight then and was too small to play those positions, broke my collarbone then and havent played since finishing secondary last year, in first year college, no sport at all, I really should do something although I doubt many would be impressed with some 19yo who can barely kick a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Nope, I'm built for rugby.:P

Which I don't play either.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

7 a side astro twice a week for me. The rain this week did not help ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I played football for 8 years, training every tuesday and thursday and a game on Sunday. I played for a few teams in that time. I loved playing when i started and still do even now. I stopped playing because i hadn't the time anymore. I played Astro for two years every Tuesday and Thursday evening but i stopped that after i changed jobs, didn't have the time again. I play Astro every other Saturday now for an hour but it depends on how i feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Boards.ie SF posters are a bunch of crocks.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Just play a little 5 a side on astro turf either once or twice a week on a Tuesday or/& Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Playing the last 5 years in the UCFL here in Dublin.

Played div 1 for a few years and moved local to help a mate with a startup team in Div 3.

Also have the odd game of astro in between training session but it's a killer on my knees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Play three times a week (elevens twice and 5s once) and ref twice a week. Then coach a bit.

Still enjoy playing more than anything else, will be gutted when my body tells me to give it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

playing since the age of 6..
    haven't lost that yard of pace yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

syngindub wrote: »
    playing since the age of 6..
    Wait till you hit your twenties lad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

syngindub wrote: »

Sell me a few yards of pace will ya?

VW 1 wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70402177&postcount=1

I live in the sticks plus im crap tbh............other than that yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

flahavaj wrote: »
    Boards.ie SF posters are a bunch of crocks.:pac:

Tell me about it... lost about 2 years worth of play time due to three major knee and ankle injuries. Tore the ACL in my right knee, tore my LCL off the bone :eek: on my left knee and broke my right ankle. All happened in matches from the ages 11-15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Played from 8 till 33ish, crushed ligament in my ankle and seemingly no Dr in the world can fix it.

Scored for Boardeaux :cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I forgot to say in my post last night, the posters on the Limerick City forum play a game of 5-on-5 on astro-turf every Monday evening. Anyone (especially if living in the Limerick/Clare/west Tipp area) is welcome to come along. PM me for details. :)

/end of spam :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Played high levle schoolboy football till I was 18 then left football as I didn't think much of the senior setup and was starting to struggle with a hamstring problem.

Went back at the start of this season and got my sharpness back quickly and had a REALLY good pre season, was buzzing playing ball. Then last friendly before the season started I had a pretty bad hamstring problem.

Took 4 weeks off, came back and lasted 10 minutes in training and it went again.

4 months later , still having hamstring injury went for scans etc and it turns out I have some damage to the bottom of my back that spreads down to my hamstring causing the muscles to be very weak and loose and subject to tear and strain.

Packed it in. Every Sunday I wake up I sit in bed for 10 mins wishing I was kitting up, couldnt miss anything more :(

Only saving grace is that I got a good 12 years at my local club and can honestly say I had the pleasure of playing with some of the most talented lads I've ever seen and had some fantastic trips with success to England, France and Holland.

Don't even have a photo anywhere of me during my footie days, sigh :9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Play at Junior level, training 2-3 nights a week now with a game each weekend. Pre-season - the joys!

Had a decent season last year winning a League Cup (with reserves) but was a bit of a balls trying to commit to it alongside work (that and one of the lads came back from Australia in my position who is 5 times the player I am) so played for the reserves most of the year at right-back and center-half. Going to try sort out work this time around to give myself a better chance.

The couple of years before I didn't exactly see eye to eye with senior manager so coached the U18s instead, reaching two cup finals with them - unfotunately losing both to teams who reached All-Ireland U17's and U18's finals. Was only just out of U18s myself at the time so was handy to know the lads. I'd advise anyone who maybe can't play for one reason or another, get involved in youth football and coaching - believe me, one of the best moments of my (sporting) life was as a coach.

Edit: For anyone aged 17-19 talking about that yard of pace.. wait another couple of years, it leaves just as the beer belly starts!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

After reading this thread I've really thought about all the fond memories so I contacted a few local clubs from the Kerry District league and decided to give it another shot. Gotta get back up to speed now with fitness and hopefully my knee wont break down again :pac:

Yakult wrote: »
    After reading this thread I've really thought about all the fond memories so I contacted a few local clubs from the Kerry District league and decided to give it another shot. Gotta get back up to speed now with fitness and hopefully my knee wont break down again :pac:

Good on ya!!....keep us posted

Initially thought this thread would be pointless but turned out reasonably ok

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Nononolan

Was away from 11 a side for about 6 years and built myself back to a good level of fitness and went back playing in Waterford.....first match was on a pitch full of cows who were hearded off before kick off and for the 2nd half after they raided the pitch again...s**t everywhere, the missus still doesnt believe that I went playing soccer that day! I think I ll stick with the astro! If anyone is interested in playing astro in waterford city send us a pm, usually play twice a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

mars bar wrote: »
    I played in the Galway Ladies District League for 2 years with Cregmore (Greg Cunninghams first club) and also did training with the Galway Ladies team for a while.

Then that finished and I got lazy and put on about 2 stone.

Then the summer before last, I got my arse in gear and got a team together and wahey, Tuam Celtic Ladies had a team. Last summer we played in the "development league" which was essentially a rebellious and illegal league! When it was plugged, we were in top position.
    I played through shin splints (what a bitch they are!) by training twice a week and a match too.

We started up two weeks ago but I'll have to wait 'til april to go back training when I'm finished college.

I'm a 5 min walk from the college astro turf but I don't have anyone to play with. :(
    I play with Cregmore now! Well, Cregmore-Claregalway. THE best club in Galway!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Played with St Pats from U14 until U18, had to give it up with dodgy ankles - broke both at different times. Only play the odd game of astro now but might join the local club soon and see how the ankles get on. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I play with Cregmore now! Well, Cregmore-Claregalway. THE best club in Galway!:p

Well I'll always have fond memories of my time there when we'd be lucky to get 6 people turn up for training. Tuam Celtic is a better club though! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Training Tuesdays & Thurdays usually on grass but during the winter we use our astroturf pitch on thursday nights to save the training field from too much damage. I also play on astroturf for an hour after thursday's training and play on friday evenings also. Matches on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Astro 3 nights, but legs giving up now, longer sessions between the sticks these nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

played up til i was 17 and had to retire coz of a glass foot, was a pretty decent keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Still play for my local team, unfortunately with the GAA I find myself cutting back more and more on soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

Just reading the whole thread there, and it's actually quite depressing. The amount of people who had serious injuries or had to quit because of injury is unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Just reading the whole thread there, and it's actually quite depressing. The amount of people who had serious injuries or had to quit because of injury is unbelievable.

id say its a case of people who had to stop playing continuing their interest in the sport in other ways, and therefore being very active on things like message boards etc

all in all id say the number of people who have to give up any sport because of injuries/medical conditions is higher than you might think though. everyone knows 4 or 5 people who had to give up at one stage or another im sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Went about 6 years hardly playing (persistent knee injuries from the age of 14 made worse by some **** physios/docs then college lifestyle got in the way). Been back playing regularly (as in 3 times a week) for the past year. Mostly 5 a side with the odd 11 a side astro league match thrown in. Hoping to work on fitness between now and the end of the summer and join a more competitive team for next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Helix wrote: »
    id say its a case of people who had to stop playing continuing their interest in the sport in other ways, and therefore being very active on things like message boards etc

all in all id say the number of people who have to give up any sport because of injuries/medical conditions is higher than you might think though. everyone knows 4 or 5 people who had to give up at one stage or another im sure

Those that do reach a level where they can get a professional contract rely on alot of luck in just been born with good genetics, a local club that can actually educate and encourage kids to play, then some more luck not getting a bad injury or reoccurring one growing up and then developing the work ethic and thick neck not to fall into the traps of drink and criticism from nobodys.

There was a few players around my age that came close to getting picked up by clubs in england, if only the standards were better they probably would have and they could have been easily earning a living playing soccer for a living.

I think my club suffered alot, when I was growing up, from alex ferguson wannabe management, nepotism, overbearing parents and the '2 laps and a match' attitude to training. I'm glad to see a vast improvement in how our club does training and educating players at all levels, cant comment on the rest. Shane Long & recently Michael Rafter (both from the same parish) are two players that played for my local club and that have signed pro contracts, a good indicator of how much the club has progressed.

Kids mostly play on astro till 12 or so now which i believe helps the pass and move element of the game.
    Passing,control,one touch soccer is encouraged where my boy plays so all this teaching can only help when they get to play on turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

Play a weekly 2hr game on the astroturf for the last 11 yrs. Play in defence mostly.

Advertisement