Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Give Blood!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

irish-stew wrote: »
    Because of the CJD risk from mad cow disease in the UK during the 80's and 90's. If you lived in the UK during this time, you cant give blood.

I cant give blood for the same reason.

I think the rule may extend to people who received blood in the 80's as stocks also came from the UK.

Me too :( Some possibly good news in last week - http://www.medpagetoday.com/InfectiousDisease/GeneralInfectiousDisease/24683 - whereby researchers are a step closer to detecting vCJD in asymptomatic folks.

In any event, if you're originally from the North and you've still access to a residential address, your parents perhaps, the NIBTS (http://www.nibts.org/) aren't as picky. Gave blood in December for the first time in twenty years and it felt good to help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Takes about 600calories to make a new pint of blood. So if going on a diet thats a few mars bars.

I really want to, but I'm not allowed 'cause I lived in England from the late 80's to very early 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marcia Lustley

women can't donate either if they have cervical pre cancerous cells fyi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭cython

Gave number 12 on Tuesday, and put myself on the bone marrow registry. It's something that I've been considering for a while; after seeing my dad pass away while waiting for a heart transplant, I realised/decided that I would hate to think that someone might go through similar suffering for want of a transplant of my bone marrow, especially when the side-effects of donation are short-term.

Funnily enough I had been giving blood for a few years before he passed though, and have considered platelets, but with the limited donation times/locations, it makes more sense for me at the moment to stay with blood donation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Has there been a drop off in the number of mobile clinics around the country? I live in Meath and used to see them every three months or so, and would always go, but there hasnt been a notification now for about 6 months, and looking at the site online, there is still no dates planned for anywhere in Meath. Anyone else find this around the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Recently did number 7, am due for number 8 i think now, but never actively sought to give blood, just whenever it was around and I was free.

I've never noticed giving platelets and marrow before though? And I would like to get that Pin for 50 donations.....hmmm

My dad got the 50 donations dinner last year and was chuffed with himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

I did a quick check as im A+, no clinics near me in shannon atm. Be an idea with the election coming up to have clinics in polling stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I'm off to give some tonight. Do it every 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

i haven't donated blood in over a year. i went on hols to malaysia, had to take a break for a while, and i've had a cold the last few times they've been around.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

I do it every 3 months. It's handy to drop into D'Olier St and I don't mind giving up half an hour to do it.

My dad recently told me that he will be coming up to 100 donations in a few years time. :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I've given blood 7 times. Couldn't do it last time due to low iron in my blood! Added my diet so hopefully I'll pass the requirement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

I'm back in the platelet clinic in james next Wednesday for donation number 21, ( Gold a gold chain from them 4 weeks ago for my 20th donation )

For anyone who is wondering about donating platelets they make it very easy for you to get into them and home, they will pay for a taxi to collect you and drop you home. It's also very comfortable and they give you a portable dvd to watch while your donating.

Was watching the last series of the inbetweeneers on my last visit so apologies to anyone I annoyed with my laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I Gave blood for the first time recently. My second time will be soon when it comes to Gorey again. 21st February.

For me it's an honour to be part of Ireland's most exclusive club.

I don't care what anyone says but giving blood is extremely easy, basically pain free and can save lives. It takes less than 5 minutes to donate the blood.

I urge anyone who can give blood, to give it. You never know who may need it.

No amount of money can buy this blood if you or a loved one needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

just saw that they were in my town 2 days ago. missed it last time as well because i was sick :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

For anyone who wouldn't do it for purely altruistic reasons, there are health benefits to donating blood (especially for men) as blood-letting is the only way your body can dispense with excess iron.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/96891-health-benefits-donating-blood/

http://healthmad.com/health/the-incredible-health-benefits-of-donating-blood/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

A kind of side issue.....

When a person donates blood to the bloodbank, do they (bloodbanks) DONATE the blood to the hospitals, public and private?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Merrick wrote: »
    I do it every 3 months. It's handy to drop into D'Olier St and I don't mind giving up half an hour to do it.

My dad recently told me that he will be coming up to 100 donations in a few years time. :O

porcelain pelican ftw! you can put it on the sideboard in the parlour and point it out to people when they visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

do u get payed? i heard they give u coke and sambos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

partyndbs wrote: »
    do u get payed? i heard they give u coke and sambos

Some food in the form of chocolate, cake, a sambo and a soft drink or tea. Just incase your feeling faint to boost your sugar/energy levels afterwards.

Some times you might even get a guinness so I beleive, for the iron.

But no, you dont actully get paid. Hence donating blood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭shu

I've given blood twice, the first time I went on my own and the last time I brought my boyfriend along. Giving blood is a really easy, painless and quick way to give something back, and I would strongly recommend anyone do it who is eligible! Also the staff in there are always so nice and friendly which helps :) I'm due to donate again, so will be off to D'Olier St next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Current blood supplies for A+ blood is at 7 days... which is low by their standards but not as low as during the ice/snow of this year and last year.

You can check supply levels for all blood types here.

I haven't been able to give in two years since I've had two babies in the last two years but on the 24th of February this year (my daughters first birthday :D) I shall be in D'olier St donating. I miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I was so annoyed when I found out I was unable to give blood because I was born in England in the 90's, I'd love to though it's such a simple way to save someone's life!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Would like to give blood but am not eligible. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Apparently i'm good at bleeding, so i donate every 3 months or so.

Unfortunately i'm of the most common blood possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

They're way too picky about what blood they want..
    I wish I could donate tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

irish-stew wrote: »
    Some food in the form of chocolate, cake, a sambo and a soft drink or tea. Just incase your feeling faint to boost your sugar/energy levels afterwards.

Some times you might even get a guinness so I beleive, for the iron.

But no, you dont actully get paid. Hence donating blood.

No guinness in the Sligo clinic anyway, don't know about anywhere else. You get cheese and onion taytos, snack bars, packets of biscuits, any sort of fizzy drinks and as many free pens as you can smuggle :)

I've donated twice but still haven't been sent the card with my blood group etc on it. Wonder do they still do them? The second time I went they had all my details on file so maybe they go by that now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They had bottles of guinness in the D'olier St clinic the last time I was there but I'm not sure if they do it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Been donating for years luckly enough.

One of the newer questions on the form makes me laugh

"Have you ever handled Monkeys" Yes/No

So no Monkey Handlers need donate :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

TheZohan wrote: »
    I donate platelets every 4 weeks or so, so won't be donating blood.
    So selfish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Muckie wrote: »
    Been donating for years luckly enough.

One of the newer questions on the form makes me laugh

"Have you ever handled Monkeys" Yes/No

So no Monkey Handlers need donate :pac:

Totally forgetting it mentions their bodily fluids too:cool:

Platelet donor so no blood giving for me. Got my 50th donation just last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've been meaning to, but I'm sick at the moment, I understand that rules me out for two weeks or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I was out of the country the last time they were here but i'm not a fan of their texts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Autosport wrote: »
    I was out of the country the last time they were here but i'm not a fan of their texts
    They continued to text me for at least four years after I became ineligble as a donor, despite my contacting them several times to tell them to remove me from their contact list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Sardonicat wrote: »
    They continued to text me for at least four years after I became ineligble as a donor, despite my contacting them several times to tell them to remove me from their contact list

its the texts they send, they worded the text to make me feel guilty for not being able to donate :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

This thread reminds me - I'm due a bleed this month.

It will have to wait another week and a half - I have a Judo competition on the 19th :-D

Just wanted to say, many thanks to all of you who do donate. My Mam died last august. She needed three blood transfusions.Unfourtunately, they couldnt save her. But I sincereley thank all who give blood.

Im due a visit myself soon. hate the thought of it, but just for emotional reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Due to give my 100th donation next month, I never imagined reaching it when I first donated...

Jake1 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say, many thanks to all of you who do donate. My Mam died last august. She needed three blood transfusions.Unfourtunately, they couldnt save her. But I sincereley thank all who give blood.

Im due a visit myself soon. hate the thought of it, but just for emotional reasons.

Sorry to hear about your mum :(

Thanks for coming on and showing your support, and I'm delighted to hear you're going to donate despite it all - keep it up, man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Plumbers

So what blood type are you?

I'm Rhesus B neg

Sorry to hear about your mum :(

Thanks for coming on and showing your support, and I'm delighted to hear you're going to donate despite it all - keep it up, man!

Thank you. The reasons for giving blood certainly hit home for me personally. I always thought, 'I hope one of mine never needs it.' Then My Ma did. I was so so grateful.
    Its great what the Blood service do. Really great. We should all do our best to support them, if and when we can. You never never know , what the day will bring, and if you or yours might need it.

Cheers . :)

O+ by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I'm proud to say my father has donated blood over 60 times, could be 70 by now (haven't asked in a while).

Someday I hope to donate blood, but I only turned 18 a few months back and my iron is so low I doubt my blood would be taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭thecleverone

Another platelet doner here so can't give blood as well. Would encourage anyone who can to go to the platelet clinic in St. James's. It's so much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

Oh and can we not have a debate over why Gay people can't give blood, and all that malarky, cheers.

Straight forward right wing bigotry at its finest. Just dismiss the discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't think you read his post very thoroughly...

• Advertisement

door wrote: »
    Straight forward right wing bigotry at its finest. Just dismiss the discrimination.

Jesus, relax the cacks, I think the OP was just trying to promote blood donation without sparking up a debate, not promote right-wing bigotry.

I'm as left as you can get without getting on some sort of government watchlist, but even I didn't see any harm in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

door wrote: »

It isn't. There is a place for debate about whether gay people should be able to give blood, but it's not in this thread.

This is about encouraging people who are eligible to give blood.

Anyone who is eligible should make the effort and attend a clinic.

For more info

http://www.giveblood.ie/Become_a_Donor/Give_Blood/Can_I_Give_Blood/

Or call 1850 731137

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Popped in yesterday and donated, took a whole 45mins from walking in the door to walking out again. It doesn't take long at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

i'd love to give again(gave 10 pints) but the last time i went 4 years ago i got a false positive for hep c (i got a cold sore the day after i gave and the virus is similar) and now i can never give again which is a shame as i would willingly give 3-4 times a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I started giving blood again recently after a long absence; first thing I missed was the Guinness in bottles! Lots of tea/coffee/7-up and chocolate though!

Pleasant experience overall, they do everything to make you comfortable.

Not sure if they ever get use for my AB+ - only 2% have it apparently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement