Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting piece of recent history

• 10-02-2011 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I found this posted on the gate-post outside the old foundry today:

torXY.jpg

TLDR: Planning permission for 395 apartments/4 retail units/156 bed hotel/691 parking spaces/80-berth marina and 23 office units. :eek:

The timing of this application says a lot - October 2008, a month after the credit crunch hit,and the point when we realised how much damage our building boom has caused the state.

What may be even more surprising is that the application is continuing (http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/board%E2%80%99s-split-decision-on-foundry-site-plans) and going by the comments, some people still think this kind of development is warranted.

Anyway, a nice example of Celtic Tiger excess, in my humble opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭niallo76

Fair point-I remember there was a bit of a hullabaloo about this when it first came out,same as with that the development on Michael Street-these huge structures comprising shopping malls,hotels,cafes etc.,they seemed like good ideas,I think Waterford needed one or two more areas like that to get shoppers in and generate money,jobs etc.,in hindsight,maybe Brenden McCann was right to object these as maybe he was a green psychic and knew that the game was up,or just someione who wanted to obect to everything just because he could! Now they probably would be lying dormant or with the flag shop chain operating and not much else-i still cant get my head around why the Broad Street Centre had to close though-and was in town last week and it seems that George's Court is heading the same direction-no shops,units to let,but this is not exclusive to Waterford.
    just hoping that The Book Centre can keep its head above water and not end up like Waterstones-that would be an awful shame.
    I do not know the town seems a bit broken somehow,I dont get into town very often but I have been in the occasional friday evening and it seems that half the town is closed,(is this a case because like me people are just relying on the Tescos,Next,Woodies to buy stuff and hence thats why half the town is closed,is it parking,or paying for parking in the city,internet shopping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

niallo76 wrote: »
    Fair point-I remember there was a bit of a hullabaloo about this when it first came out,same as with that the development on Michael Street-these huge structures comprising shopping malls,hotels,cafes etc.,they seemed like good ideas,I think Waterford needed one or two more areas like that to get shoppers in and generate money,jobs etc.,in hindsight,maybe Brenden McCann was right to object these as maybe he was a green psychic and knew that the game was up,or just someione who wanted to obect to everything just because he could! Now they probably would be lying dormant or with the flag shop chain operating and not much else-i still cant get my head around why the Broad Street Centre had to close though-and was in town last week and it seems that George's Court is heading the same direction-no shops,units to let,but this is not exclusive to Waterford.
    just hoping that The Book Centre can keep its head above water and not end up like Waterstones-that would be an awful shame.
    I do not know the town seems a bit broken somehow,I dont get into town very often but I have been in the occasional friday evening and it seems that half the town is closed,(is this a case because like me people are just relying on the Tescos,Next,Woodies to buy stuff and hence thats why half the town is closed,is it parking,or paying for parking in the city,internet shopping?
    rents are a big issue. Some landlords are just greedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

niallo76 wrote: »
    I think Waterford needed one or two more areas like that to get shoppers in and generate money,jobs etc.,in hindsight,maybe Brenden McCann was right to object these as maybe he was a green psychicQUOTE]

Brendan McCannt objected unneccesarily to nearly every block layed in Waterford, didnt matter if it was for a creche, church extenstion, apartments, shops or houses. He lost all credibility and has turned Waterford off the Green vote.

McCannt objections delayed and stopped developments which would be a massive benefit to Waterford if going ahead. All the surveys and reports suggest that we are underperforming in retail, we cant attract weekend visitors as the shopping is not on same level as other cities. If he didnt object to the Newgate Centre and was subsequently not delayed, it would be providing work for about 500 persons, spin off business for rest of city and space for large retailers which have said they want to come here but there is not a suitable location in city. In short he stifled our economic growth.

Dont forget what a scourge McCannt and his 'green' pals were on us, he is the main reason why we have a crappy train station (objected), below standard retail experience (Objected to Newgate), he objected to the airport road, the motorway, the bypass, a creche, a church etc etc. Type in his name to Bord Pleanala search to see for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Max Powers wrote: »
    Type in his name to Bord Pleanala search to see for yourself.
    Decided to do this for the hell of it (Its quiet)

Everything he's listed as objecting to.
    232507: Former Waterford Stanley Factory, Bilberry, Waterford. (08/138)
    Mixed-use residential/retail/office/hotel development including 395 no. apartments and all associated site works.

217785: (05/445) : Retail warehouse park and associated works. Kilbarry/Ballyhoo, Kilbarry Road, Waterford.

232884: Viewmount House, Viewmount, Dunmore Road, Waterford. (08/384)
    Change of use from residential to offices, new entrances and all associated site works (this is a protected structure).

219084: (06/235) : Revisions to register reference 04/260, including a creche, 10 no. retirement units and site works. Bishopscourt, Waterford.

226569: 31 and 31A John St, 1 and 2 Manor Street, Waterford. (06/474)
    Partial demolition of no. 31A John St, construct bar/restaurant with internal connection to 31 John St, new shop fronts, new roof, alterations to 28 John St, 32 John St (a protected structure).

212831: Waterford Castle, Little Island & Ballinakill, Waterford. (04/575)
    Demolition of existing single storey semi-basement wings attached to the existing hotel building, alterations to the existing building (protected structure).

225586: Ballybeg/Cork Road, Waterford City. (06/371)
    Mixed use development comprising retail warehousing, hotel, cinema, conference and enterprise centre, polyclinic, office/leisure uses, 753 no. car parking spaces and all associated site works.

206687: John Street/Waterside, Waterford (comprising Protected Structure) (03/640)
    Part 3, part 4-storey commercial/residential development comprising ground floor retail with 8 apartments over, roof garden and all associated services and site works.

220044: The Glen, Waterford. (05/594)
    4 storey development comprising of 4 no. retail units, 10 no. office units, 5 no. apartments and parking.

219971: Newrath, Kilculliheen, Co. Kilkenny. (05/1973)
    Retention of inert fill material and permission for site development, reclamation and development works.

224195: Custom House Quay, High Street, Keyser Street, Waterford. (06/206)
    Demolition of a shed and building, construction of office building including 3 no. restaurant units, 2 no. entrances, car park and all associated site works. Old Post Office site,

220079: Units 1 and 2, Railway Square, Link Road, Waterford. (06/335)
    Restaurant with takeaway

221060: Five Lane Alley, Ballybricken, Waterford (06/417)
    Demolition of derelict workshop formerly 3 no. houses and construction of 3 no. houses and associated works

228004: Waterford Shopping Centre, Lisduggan, Waterford (07/460)
    Alterations to previously approved planning permission 05/217 consisting of alterations to service yard entrance and relocation of unloading area/home shopping area.

RL2114: (D5/12) : Whether development comprising the diversion of a sewer and other pipes is or is not development or is or is not exempted dev. Railway Square, Waterford.

209584: Williamstown Road, Bishopscourt, Waterford. (04/276)
    99 houses and creche.

223938: Plunkett Station, Terminus Street, Waterford. (06/554)
    Demolish structures, upgrade building and extension of passenger facility, new exit on road N9, adjustment of steel canopy east side and all associated works. Platform canopy is listed structure

213047: Mary Street, Bridge Street and Summerhill, Waterford. (04/569)
    Demolition of existing buildings, including 13 Mary Street (a protected structure at time of application) and construction of new hotel and apartments.

211794: 43-44 Michael Street, Waterford. (04/530)
    Renovation, refurbishment and extension to commercial building (Protected Structure).

219771: 29 and 30 John Street, Waterford. (06/62)
    Demolition of 29 and 30 John Street, construction of new 4-storey building including retail/commercial development including hair salon and gymnasium.

236800: 10 Bailey's New Street, Waterford. (10/34)
    Demolition of uninhabited dwelling and associated works as part of works to the National Monument and protected structure the Franciscan Friary(French Church and Lady Chapel)adjoining the site.

219564: Old Tramore Road, Kilcohan, Ballynkill, Waterford. (06/280)
    Amendment to previous planning (reg.ref:03/633) to include 9 houses and associated site works.

219245: Carrickphierish, Gracedieu, Waterford. (06/94)
    406 no. houses with creche, parking spaces and associated site works.

232989: Caher, Islandikane South and East, Tramore, Co. Waterford. (08/55)
    Demolition of buildings including house, Construction of a hotel, golf course 51 golf lodges, gate lodge and all associated site works.

228617: Chairman's Arch, (rear of) Cathedral Square, Waterford. (07/248)
    Demolition of outbuildings that abut a protected structure and chairman's arch (RPS 696), construction of 2 no. houses and all associated site works.

221022: St.Marys Church, Ballygunner, Ballygunner Castle, Waterford. (06/143)
    Demolition of part of existing church, erection of a two storey extension, single storey annex and associated works.

218566: John Street and Waterside, Waterford. (05/476)
    Restaurant, retail unit and 6 no. apartments and associated works. The development includes a protected structure.

233972: John's Lane, Waterford. (09/52)
    Change of use of 2 no. retail units to a private members gaming club, signage, altertions and all associated site works.

224958: R708 Airport Road/Outer Ring Road, Williamstown, Waterford. (06/415)
    Mixed use leisure and retail development including 5 no. retail units, cinema with ancillary bar and restaurant, car parking, access roads and all associated site works.

231960: Blenheim Lodge, Halfway House, Waterford. (08/106)
    Construction of a marina, parking, driveway and all associated site works. (protected structure)

202992: (03/99) : Mixed Development of 126 apartments, retail and office accommodation, 174 parking spaces, demolition of 3no. houses. Railway Square, Waterford.

224299: Stephen's, Alexander, Michael, New, Castle Streets, Waterford. (06/526)
    Demolition of structures. Mixed use development incorporating a hotel, offices, 60 no. retail units and 26 no. apartments. Delevopment incorporates protected structures.

218538: Park House, Newtown Road, Waterford. (05/584)
    Retail and residential development including 10 no. apartments.

219213: 32-37 Barronstrand Street, Blackfriars Street, Waterford. (05/242)
    3 Storey building incorporating retail sales areas, stockrooms and offices.

211731: Farran Park, Waterford. (04/448)

Demolition of shop and construction of retail unit with storage and ancillary services at ground floor and 4 numbered apartments over.

212621: McEniff Ard Rí Hotel, Ferrybank, Waterford. (04/551)
    Extension to hotel and leisure centre to include 160 bedrooms, bar, restaurant etc., new 61 bed nursing home, 107 numbered apartments in four blocks, parking, access and ancillary works.

208408: 60 O'Connell St., Waterford. (03/513)
    Demolition of building and construction of 5 storey building to include a public house and 16 no. apartments with associated services and site works.

215878: (05/340) : New entrance from Tramore-Waterford road and bridge over St. John's river. Ballynakill, Waterford.

215125: Lisduggan, Waterford. (05/217)
    Redevelopment of Waterford Shopping Centre including new and revised access and egress.

Oldest I noticed is Railway Square from 2003. And these are just the ABP ones. id say absolute tonnes more never left the city/county council.
    Looking through them, some are valid to an extent (Personally I think the Ard Rí one submitted was absolute overkill but would have been perfect if scaled back a bit). Others though seem to be just him as sole appealent for tiny things or works development that was and in a lot of cases still is sorely needed.

In conclusion, rabble rabble, *punch in face* :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Decided to do this for the hell of it (Its quiet)

Everything he's listed as objecting to.

Oldest I noticed is Railway Square from 2003. And these are just the ABP ones. id say absolute tonnes more never left the city/county council.
    Looking through them, some are valid to an extent (Personally I think the Ard Rí one submitted was absolute overkill but would have been perfect if scaled back a bit). Others though seem to be just him as sole appealent for tiny things or works development that was and in a lot of cases still is sorely needed.

In conclusion, rabble rabble, *punch in face* :pac:

Any information on how many were upheld?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Its all on the site. (refused, Granted with conditions, ongoing,etc)
    I could go back but my work laptop nearly went on a sh!tty with so many tabs :pac:

I did notice a lot of withdrawn appeals from him but I have a feeling they were withdrawn once time had done the damage to the planning

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭niallo76

The Council must see him as a crackpot,but thats not to say that he will not object to anything that may be constructed/planned in the future.

Doesn't he have to pay a fee everytime he objects to a planning application-how much has he spent on these objections-he's clearly touched

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Isn't the developer gone wallop now anyway? Never happen now anyway. Something is needed there though but not that. Something more subtle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Isn't the developer gone wallop now anyway? Never happen now anyway. Something is needed there though but not that. Something more subtle.

How about a sledge hammer??
    Get real; Waterford ain't part of the Cote a'Azur & the River Suir sure ain't the River Seine. Admittedly it's got a few good points but its bad points outnumber them. It's only when you travel throughout the world you realise what a small insignificant place we chose to settle in. Taxi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Where was he on the high rise appartments down the end of o'connel street and that area.

Id like to meet the person who though that was a good idea. 'Tomorrows getto today'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

How about a sledge hammer??

Not a bad idea! Thats what I meant really. Flatten it and put anything there. That development is way too big and out of place for there. A promenade or something like the quay in Wexford would be more suited.

Advertisement