Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

convert wifi to wired

Options
  • 10-02-2011 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Okay, so I have just moved house, and have not got broadband yet.

I have an android phone, and can create a wifi hotspot with that.

I have a couple of devices that do not have wifi, and was wondering how to use the wifi ands laptop to provide ethernet to my wired devices.

I do have access to a dd-wrt router, but it is being used at my old house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

kierank01 wrote: »
    I do have access to a dd-wrt router, but it is being used at my old house.

You need something like a wireless etherent bridge. DD-WRT can operate in this mode so any device that supports DD-WRT can do the job you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Also known as Station mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

cheers.

I got another linksys router on ebay, and have setup ddwrt on it, and set it up as a wireless bridge as per these instructions.

When I finished setting it up, I was only able to ping the ip of the AP router, and anything on my local network.
    I rebooted the router, and was able to get onto the internet. I confirmed that this worked on vista, and linux.

Then something happened (I don't know what), but I con only get local access now, I have rebooted both routers, and booted into vista, and linux, but can't seem to find out whats wrong.

I know this is not much to go on, but does anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Got back home, set everything up again, and all seems to be working now.

Advertisement