Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a donedeal or no deal?

Options
  • 10-02-2011 8:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Just wondering on what peoples opinions of donedeal are? I see people advertisting coal, turf, timber etc. on there but what are the alternatives?

Do people still use the buyandsell?

Are there any alternatives to donedeal, bendunne.com didn't last long!

I get the feeling a lot of people are starting to use donedeal anyway as a benchmark to compare prices to when buying anything from turf to cars.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It's a horrible looking site and people seem to tag their sales with everything they can.

Adverts is a far superior website to all of them imo and it would be my first port of call if buying/selling/browsing for 2nd hand items.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

In Fairness it has to be said Donedeal is by far the strongest site out there for buying and selling, it may not be the most eye pleasing but it does exactly as it says on the tin, It sells and if your price is realistic it sells quick.

The 2 biggest problems I can see is

1. As rainbowdash metioned is TAG's. edit: Sorry Kinetic
    Its a joke really as you search for passat and everything from Lada to Porsche appear. I believe it was said that the ads are being submitted so fast and in such quantities that they just can admin each one anymore.

2. The Price, There are soo many buy and sell sites in Ireland nowadays which offer free Ads, (mine included) and yet people just dont try them out. €3 IMO is a bit of an ask but then thousands each day pay it over and over so really DD can't be blamed for charging it..

I know my Adsense clicks pay enough to cover my hosting fees for the year but then I've not had a website which demands such servers so I cant really comment on how much that may be..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

tombull82 wrote: »
    In Fairness it has to be said Donedeal is by far the strongest site out there for buying and selling, it may not be the most eye pleasing but it does exactly as it says on the tin, It sells and if your price is realistic it sells quick.

The 2 biggest problems I can see is

1. As rainbowdash metioned is TAG's.
    Its a joke really as you search for passat and everything from Lada to Porsche appear. I believe it was said that the ads are being submitted so fast and in such quantities that they just can admin each one anymore.

2. The Price, There are soo many buy and sell sites in Ireland nowadays which offer free Ads, (mine included) and yet people just dont try them out. €3 IMO is a bit of an ask but then thousands each day pay it over and over so really DD can't be blamed for charging it..

I know my Adsense clicks pay enough to cover my hosting fees for the year but then I've not had a website which demands such servers so I cant really comment on how much that may be..

Tombull can I have a link to your own site please.

Donedeal should restrict the number of keywords in a search, Ebay for example only match words from the title.

€3 is pricy depending on the value of your product / margin I guess.

I advertised on Bendunne before, paid my €2 and was getting calls and making sales for ages because there was no bumping required.

Are donedeal getting 1000 ads per day would people think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Poppydee

tombull can send me a link to your site. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Poppydee wrote: »
    tombull can send me a link to your site. thanks.

www.adspace.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fishy21

Are donedeal getting 1000 ads per day would people think?

I know they were getting 1500 a day about a year ago, and since then i think they have experienced growth so may be more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Iron Hide wrote: »

Thanks Iron.

Feel free to send feedback if anybody wants.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 chook

I use donedeal quite a lot, mostly when I'm looking to buy something, and for the occasional sale. What I like about it is the multiple (large) photos and plenty of space for text and the County filtering.
    The charge is a bit steep alright but I don't mind paying something for the service they offer.

I quite like adverts.ie too which I only discovered quite recently.

The online version of buyandsell is a lost cause IMHO. It's been terrible for years and every time they make changes it gets worse - absolutely unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

tombull82 wrote: »
    Thanks Iron.

Feel free to send feedback if anybody wants.. :)

it looks a bit boring.Also it puts people off when they see very few ads on a site.Also don't see why people would have to register with you,DD is much simpler this way,just call them up and your away.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭BearsyBoo

Done deal is probably the best at the moment regarding sales, imo its worth the €3, Gumtree was the best but the updates to the site really have ruined it and the number ads placed each day has declined dramatically, adverts is good if your a buyer but imo not if your a seller, too many people offering rediculous prices or time wasting it has a good volume of buyers but from my experience its just not worth the extra hassle that comes with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I think Done Deal is the best, by far - I wouldn't be suprised if they were getting in excess of 3000 ads and 'bumps' per day - nice earner!! The thing with done deal is - it works. As long as you have something people want to buy, at a good price it'll sell quickly on DD. I don't mind paying the €3, knowing my ad will be seen and whatever i'm selling will be gone by end of week.

Gumtree is far too dublin-centric and has its fair share of scammers. Buy and sell is used very lightly these days.

Tom, I have to admit - I've never used your site but I wouldn't want to waste all the time signing up etc. for a site that I don't know and for one that I am unsure will work for me. If you implement a system similar to DoneDeal and keep it free then you'll clean up (in other ways - advertising, trade ads, equity)- there's no point in trying to charge less - €1 might as well be €3 when you've to make the effort to put in your CC details or pick up the phone.

The other free sites in Ireland aren't used enough by serious buyers and over used by scammers and time wasters.

Advertisement