Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Manhole

Options
  • 10-02-2011 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I am looking for advice and estimates for a manhole cover.

I just drilled my water well and was advised I could cover with a manhole.
    I should keep it slightly elevated so no run-off water runs into the well.
    It is not ideally located, i.e. it is likely that cars will have to drive over it, so a light galvinised manhole is not what I am looking for.

Any advice on where to buy something stronger, and how much?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The local builders supply yard should be able to provide one with a 20 ton load bearing capacity. Wouldn't be sure of cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

They arent cheap unfortunately, I was quoted a huge price when I looked for one last year, around 460 euro if I remember correctly, from a local hardware. I didnt even bother looking for a second quote.

I built in removable concrete lintols across the manhole (by recycling heavy reinforced concrete fence posts I had taken up). Like concrete slats in cattle sheds basically.

I then covered with a cheap manhole cover. Did the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

I am looking for advice and estimates for a manhole cover.

I just drilled my water well and was advised I could cover with a manhole.
    I should keep it slightly elevated so no run-off water runs into the well.
    It is not ideally located, i.e. it is likely that cars will have to drive over it, so a light galvinised manhole is not what I am looking for.

Any advice on where to buy something stronger, and how much?

Thanks

A 20tonne 600mm x600mm x150mm deep double triangular ductile cover, code ma60, should retail at around 140euros, give or take 20euros, which can be sourced at any decent builders providers, plenty strong the type used on main roads.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ronanw

Ma60 sounds about right. Don't know what they retail at in the south but I work for a merchants in co. down and we sell them for £70 + vat which works out at about €100 all in. Phone a few merchants and do a bit of haggling!!!:)

Advertisement