Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Goats ! whelans May

Options
  • 10-02-2011 9:49am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭

JD dropped it on twitter.

Whelans on the 22 May

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

E17.50 gig of the year for this price has made my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

excellent news. made my day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! am going to be away, plops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Tickets bought already.

When's the last time he played Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Holy cocking jesus ****.

• Advertisement

Jim wrote: »
    Holy cocking jesus ****.

+1

Harmonic presents
    The Mountain Goats
    Whelan’s
    May 22nd, 8pm

Tickets on sale Feb 11th, 9am priced €20 (including booking fee) from www.tickets.ie <http://www.tickets.ie&gt; & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide. 0818 719 300 - Republic of Ireland customers 0844 277 4455 - Northern Ireland customers 00353 1 456 9569 - International customers

The Mountain Goats' new album is called 'All Eternals Deck,' and if you're reading this, that means you've got some sort of copy of it. "The songs cluster around themes of hidden things and the dread that hidden things inspire," says singer/songwriter John Darnielle, "but also the excitement, the attraction, the magnetic draw that scary unknown hidden things exert." The title refers to an apocryphal tarot deck, though Darnielle explains that the album's fascination with the occult originates in having run across the word “occult” in a textbook in his nursing-student days. "’Occult’ just means ‘hidden’ or ‘not immediately obvious’ in medical terminology. There was a nursing directive to be aware of ‘occult blood.’ I thought it was the greatest thing I’d ever heard," he says.

Darnielle started recording songs while during his psych-nurse days in California. "I had been writing poetry pretty much all my life," he remembers. "At some point in Norwalk I bought a guitar from this really cool old music store in a strip mall, and I started teaching myself to play." Soon Darnielle was playing live, touring with bassist Rachel Ware and then with multi-instrumentalist Peter Hughes. In 2001 they became a full-time studio-and-road-show duo, releasing four albums together: 'Tallahassee,' 'We Shall All Be Healed,' 'The Sunset Tree,' and 'Get Lonely.' Superchunk drummer Jon Wurster joined in 2007, and the collaboration clicked perfectly. "Peter and I had played with other musicians," says Darnielle, "but with Wurster we were an honest-to-God trio. We played together with real glee."

The band toured the U.S., England, Australia, and New Zealand extensively, recording a new studio album called 'The Life of the World to Come' in 2009 that prompted GQ to remark: “Darnielle’s not just one of the greatest songwriters working today--he’s probably one of the greatest working writers." The album earned a 'Best New Music' nod from Pitchfork, and prompted Stephen Colbert to invite the band to make its national television debut on The Colbert Report.

In 2010, the band signed to Merge Records, headquartered within walking distance of Darnielle's Durham, NC home. The band approached recording sessions for 'All Eternals Deck' as commando raids on multiple studios with a several producers: four songs at North Carolina's Fidelitorium with John Congleton; one at Q Division in Boston with longtime soundman Brandon Eggleston; four at Brooklyn's Mission Sound with Scott Solter; and four at Mana Recording Studios in Florida, with Morbid Angel guitarist and Hate Eternal helmsman Erik Rutan.

"We wanted to see how disparate seasons and moods and locations and producers would play out in the songs," explains Darnielle. The result? "If you've ever watched, say, a 70s occult-scare movie where one of the scenes involves a few people visiting a storefront fortune teller, getting their cards read, and then they're trying to feel super-hopeful about their predicted outcome when what they're visibly actually feeling is dread, then you have a pretty decent idea of what this album is all about."

www.harmonic.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nocheerleader

Thank god I randomly saw this thread - I purchased tickets IMMEDIATELY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

This is very nearly sold out so get your skates on if you havent bought tickets yet

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nocheerleader

I very literally jumped onto ticketmaster.ie, grabbed my credit card and purchased tickets halfway through reading this thread ....I actually can't believe I nearly missed this ....almost as much as I can't believe that John Darnielle is playing in Dublin :D

• Advertisement

I very literally jumped onto ticketmaster.ie, grabbed my credit card and purchased tickets halfway through reading this thread ....I actually can't believe I nearly missed this ....almost as much as I can't believe that John Darnielle is playing in Dublin :D

Always like hearing things like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Was afraid I was going to be working for this but currently planning a sweet holiday. Over to Stockholm on the Friday before to visit a friend (will also be catching Okkervil River while over there :pac: ) and then back to Dublin Sunday evening to see John and then a bus back to Galway at 1am!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Been listening to the Goats close to exclusively for the last month, so this cannot come soon enough.

Been listening to the Goats close to exclusively for the last month, so this cannot come soon enough.

Mix it up with Bill Callahan and get along to him next week. Gigs of the year coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

cant wait for sunday, should be great, saw him in toronto 5 years ago. havent listened to his albums since though!

Almost Mountain Goats day.

pretty underwhelmed i must say, only songs i enjoyed/could hear the words were from the the sunset tree album!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really enjoyed it personally. Nice mix of songs - was delighted when they burst into Heretic Pride :) John had some crazy energy. Don't know what the 'House Guest' song he played during the first encore was, but man he gave it socks. Also loved Woke Up New - it's a song I wasn't a big fan of the few times I heard it on youtube, but really clicked during the solo section.

Was surprised that they played No Children and This Year before the encore. Palmcorder Yajna was great, and the previously mentioned song too, but was hoping for Death Metal Band instead of Thin Lizzy as the concluding song :(

Overall though, very much enjoyed it - plenty of great songs, and if there were a few they missed out on, they made up for it with an eclectic setlist.

Also, thanks to a certain two mods for taunting me from the balcony :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I think I've seen Evan Dando do that House Guest song live too. It's by a band called Nothing Painted Blue apparently.

My only gripe with the gig was the Thin Lizzy cover at the end. Great stuff besides that. The band looked like they were having a brilliant time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Was really, really hoping he'd play "There will always be an Ireland" but it's probably one of those songs he's forgotten he wrote.

• Advertisement

Was really, really hoping he'd play "There will always be an Ireland" but it's probably one of those songs he's forgotten he wrote.
    thought i noticed your username, you did the valentia tri and went to see the goats same as me, long weekend but good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

adamski8 wrote: »
    thought i noticed your username, you did the valentia tri and went to see the goats same as me, long weekend but good!

Great weekend alright, dying today. Well worth it though.

Advertisement