Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Flat Burnt Down

Options
  • 10-02-2011 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this should be in legal or accommadation forum...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12401660

My flat burnt down two nights ago, we got out just in time because a neighbour banged on our door. The alarm, which was supposedly tested in January, never went off. The Fire Service believe that a fryer in a restaurant below started it. I haven't been in yet but from the looks of it, everythings destroyed.

This is where it gets complicated, I was due to sign the lease today (Friday). I moved in three weeks ago and therefore was living there whilst not on the lease. I haven't got my own insurance but the restaurant should have public liability insurance. I reckon I lost about £3000 in the fire. As I'm not officially on the lease, anybody know if I will be entitled to compensation from the restaurants policy? I know it's hard to say without any knowledge of the policy, but assuming the restaurant has good insurance, can I make a claim? Also, if anyone has any advice on how to proceed from here, it would be greatly appreciated. Friends have been generous and sorted me out with a few weeks accommadation and telling the story down the pub has got me a lot of free beer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You should see a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You should see a solicitor.

This, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I think you should have had contents cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I agree that you should see a soliciter. You may have a claim to sue for a faulty smoke detector. As the restaurant downstairs was an increased risk it may work in your favour.

The landlord may not of been 'above board' when renting out and might not of registered, informed his mortgage provider or had the right insurance. Possibly to your advantage.

However, contents is always the tenants responsibility. The landlord is insured for the building, fixtures and fittings (if it came with any.)

But all your stuff is yours to look after and protect as you see fit. You may have a case to argue that you were looking around for it but that wouldn't work if you had a car would it?

Doesn't look that good, but on the plus side your alive and all that stuff can be bought again.

I'm off to test my smoke alarms! As we all should.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Your case happened outside Ireland so its possible (nay, likely) that the law is different there so you should see a solicitor.

In Ireland, the law states that you and your insurance are liable for damage to your premises even if a fire starts in an adjoining building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

aujopimur wrote: »
    I think you should have had contents cover.

Another helpful 'in hindsight' post.

Solicitor - go straight to one.

EDIT: Jeez you were lucky to get out alive, they pictures are shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Not sure about the UK.

Here, the public liability of the restaurant would not cover your apt. You were not in the restaurant.

Your contents would not be covered either, since you would require your own insurance policy for that.

So, you really need to speak to a solicitor and see what can be done. You may get nothing in the end though.

Mad images so you're lucky to be alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

thanks for the advice. getting that sorted today! spoke with the agent yesterday and he doesn't seem very hopeful. However, my flatmate spoke to a solicitor on the phone and he said we may be able to get the people on the lease to make a claim on our behalf. I'll keep you updated and once i own anything again worth insuring, i'll insure it! The main thing is is that everyone got out ok, everything else is just stuff.

and Mr Hindsight, I'm sure when you were early twenties and a student, the first thing you thought of was home insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

my flatmate spoke to a solicitor on the phone and he said we may be able to get the people on the lease to make a claim on our behalf..

tell your flatmate to get a new solicitor then. Thats not possible, any solicitor that tells you that has questionable ability at best,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

markpb wrote: »
    Your case happened outside Ireland so its possible (nay, likely) that the law is different there so you should see a solicitor.

In Ireland, the law states that you and your insurance are liable for damage to your premises even if a fire starts in an adjoining building.
    Unless other parties are neglient towards you in the manner that the fire originated, then it IS their responsibility. Don't be so specific unless you expand further

• Advertisement
Advertisement