Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks a bunch eircom

Options
  • 10-02-2011 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

Call connection charge gone up from 5c to 9c
    Off to find a cheaper providor now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

BengaLover wrote: »
    Call connection charge gone up from 5c to 9c
    Off to find a cheaper providor now.

Hi BengaLover

I understand your frustration. However if you have a talktime package with eircom and keep within the free calls alocated with the package as much as possible the price increase should have little effect on your usual bill.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

its a joke. eircom putting up prices in a recession without adding extra value to the products.

i have been on to eircom numerous times over the last number of years in relation, to poor DSL speeds, and do they listen , eh no.

long phone lines, slow DSL speeds charging top price.

i have a backup DSL line with eircom, and now i am going to move this to another provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

A jump from 5c to 9c is pretty steep.
    I have been on the unhelpful 'help line' and was told I could get a lower package blah blah blah, and my bill just keeps on going up.
    And yes, I do have a bundled package, make no uk calls and it makes no difference.
    POOR value for money indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I can't believe that so many people are with this company.

My personal experiences with them, as well as trying to do business, just leave me tired and angry.

Just leave.

Simple.

They do not deserve your custom, take it away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭amber2

A jump from 5c to 9c is pretty steep.
    I have been on the unhelpful 'help line' and was told I could get a lower package blah blah blah, and my bill just keeps on going up.
    And yes, I do have a bundled package, make no uk calls and it makes no difference.
    POOR value for money indeed.

Sorry to hijack your post BengaLover but am also thinking of moving from Eircom was looking at Vodafone. I currently have boradband and phone bundle so the fact i have a Vodafone mobile pay monthly bill would make it cheaper, but looking at the vodafone thread on here i am not so sure if i should make the move as i do not have any problems with Eircom as a provider.
    As you say nearly doubling their charges in a recession is a bit steep. Eircom not leaving me with any option but to shop around and look at other deals out there.

• Advertisement

amber2 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack your post BengaLover but am also thinking of moving from Eircom was looking at Vodafone. I currently have boradband and phone bundle so the fact i have a Vodafone mobile pay monthly bill would make it cheaper, but looking at the vodafone thread on here i am not so sure if i should make the move as i do not have any problems with Eircom as a provider.
    As you say nearly doubling their charges in a recession is a bit steep. Eircom not leaving me with any option but to shop around and look at other deals out there.

Hi All,

eircom understand that customers are not happy with the price increases. However eircom have insured that customers currently on talktime package will not be charged extra on the free calls within the call package. There is also a wide range of different packages to suit different customers call needs. This will limit the effect on customers normal call charges.

So Why is Eircom increasing their prices?

Eircom is maintaining a strategic service for the country with the fixed line network. We’re determined to do this well; price increases are a reality we’ve had to face up to in order to do this.
    Over half a million customers are now on some form of discount package. Customers will get best value if they are on a package and we will continue to help customers to choose the best package to suit their call patterns and we will advise them on how to get the best value from their bundle.

So while eircom regret that we had to increase pricing and are allowing customers to cancel they wish. We believe that there has been a lot of positive improvements and benefits of being or becoming a new eircom customer over the lat few years.

But as always if you have any further queries let us know:)

Thanks, Mark

Personally as a customer Im not interested in a social media support team.
    Im not interested in the Hubs either, or high download speeds.
    Its simple - I want cheap calls including cheap connection rates and a reasonable monthly broadband fee.

i am not interested in study hub, or setanta sports, or streaming music.

why are you wasting lots of money on this, and ignoring the real problem, ie phone lines too long, there is an exchange 50% closer to me and you wont connect me to it, also there are many people in the same situation around me.

concentrate on broadband, and not the flowery crap like study hub, and your music store thing.......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Wow setanta sports? Let me tell you about Setanta sports, since in my area I can only get one meg broadband, when I sat down to watch the Dublin v Armagh match last saturday night, I ended up watching basically still shots of the players that update every 30 seconds. Amazing.

Personally as a customer Im not interested in a social media support team.
    Im not interested in the Hubs either, or high download speeds.
    Its simple - I want cheap calls including cheap connection rates and a reasonable monthly broadband fee.

Hi BengaLover,

I have amended my previous post to clarify the changes. I understand that the core of eircoms service would be line rental calls and broadband.

If you would like me to look at your call package and see if there is a package that would best limit the effect of the price increases for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

ingen wrote: »
    i am not interested in study hub, or setanta sports, or streaming music.

why are you wasting lots of money on this, and ignoring the real problem, ie phone lines too long, there is an exchange 50% closer to me and you wont connect me to it, also there are many people in the same situation around me.

concentrate on broadband, and not the flowery crap like study hub, and your music store thing.......:mad:

Hi ingen,

I refered to additional services simply to show that there is a wide verity of services available for eircom customers. I appreciate your point and eircom are continualy working on the broadband network and the work will be ongoing.

Thanks, Mark

Hi ingen,

I refered to additional services simply to show that there is a wide verity of services available for eircom customers. I appreciate your point and eircom are continualy working on the broadband network and the work will be ongoing.

Thanks, Mark

i spoke with a few friends today who are eircom customers, and they are switching away from eircom,

i am now doing the same, with my backup dsl line.

adios eircom.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

ingen wrote: »

i spoke with a few friends today who are eircom customers, and they are switching away from eircom,

i am now doing the same, with my backup dsl line.

adios eircom.
    :)

Im stuck with them ATM because there is no one else ,but there are a few setting up in my area and when they arrive Im gone ,line rental in this day and age ,give me a break:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

we switched from eircom to vodafone and saved 20 euros a month for the exact same package...get this.... every month or so we get a cold call from eircom trying to get us back,we say no,they ask why,we tell them and then they just say "well we cant compete with that" and then THEY hang up...great sales team there....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Hi ingen,

Thanks, Mark

I left Eircom and joined Vodafone about a year ago. The main reason that I left was because of the low speeds on my broadband. Everytime I rang Eircom I had to listen to that bloody robot talking about New Generation Broadband. I live in Raheen Limerick and it was and as far as I know is still not available there. Now Hello , I hear the rural people complaining but beside Raheen Industrial estate .... now that is ridiculous.
    And to top it all , every now and then I get a foreigner ringing me asking me if I will go back to Eircom. ??

Eircom was a fine company when you could speak to an Irish agent who would discuss your problem and assist. Then they decided to put in this robot and a bunch of unfortunate agents who are forced to read from a script.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

Not only putting up the charges but reducing the off peak times by two hours as well so there's reduced times you can use the free calls you get in a package. What's up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Why eircom do you insist in charging us a arm and a leg for phone and broadband?

I have been with eircom for over a year and I have been disappointed with the amount that we are being charged for our package...

8MB NGB with phone calls for over €50 per month.

I know people in America that get 22MB down with unlimited phone for only $30.

Why can't eircom come down to this level..Hell, even UPC have a cheaper package than eircom.

I would have at least thought that eircom being the semi-state national broadband provider would be able to give us a decent package for a decent price.

Other members might be asking "Why have you not switched?" because we can't. Eircom is the only ISP available in my area and it's a bloody joke.

Eircom has said to me multiple of thousands of times "We can offer you this for that and you get this for free and you get free access to the 'hubs'. I DON'T GIVE A MONKEY NUTS ABOUT YOUR OTHER PRODUCTS

!!!I WANT BROADBAND AND PHONE FOR A CHEAP PRICE!!

I WANT BROADBAND AND PHONE FOR A CHEAP PRICE

Do you get my message now?? My family just doesn't have the money to pay for your ridiculous prices.

/rant

PS. Sorry to the boards mods for the large text...

I took Mark up on his offer of checking my package to see if I could get a better deal, so far NO REPLY.
    Great customer service.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 simon-king

Make sure you throw all the toys out of the pram now 'VampiricPadraig' :rolleyes:

With respect to the Eircom team here who have been fantastic in trying to help me get my issues with the company resolved:

I find aspects of Eircom's advertising tactics to be completely misleading. Using the term 'ulimited' and imposing a limit of 250gb under a 'fair usage policy' is exploiting loopholes within advertising legislation and is wrong and immoral.

If you chose Vodaphone's [clearly advertised] bb package with a 300gb allowance, it's clearly more than Eircom's advertised 'unlimited' download package!.

I don't mind paying for a superior service, but in my case anyway, I cannot see any reason to stay with the company. Horrendous advertising tactics, a dreadful telephone customer service and an apparent intent to try and extract as much money out of customers as possible.

Currently awaiting confirmation of account cancellation and am going to run with one of the better options out there currently.

simon-king wrote: »
    Make sure you throw all the toys out of the pram now 'VampiricPadraig' :rolleyes:

I find aspects of Eircom's advertising tactics to be completely misleading. Using the term 'ulimited' and imposing a limit of 250gb under a 'fair usage policy' is exploiting loopholes within advertising legislation and is wrong and immoral.

Nyeh!!! *throws a fit*

250GB!! What package are you on?? I am only a 30GB allowance!!! (That is another reason why I hate eircom)

• Advertisement

I took Mark up on his offer of checking my package to see if I could get a better deal, so far NO REPLY.
    Great customer service.:(

Hi BengaLover,

I PM you a moment ago I am sorry for the wait I was making sure I check all the options available berfore responding.

Thanks, Mark

Nyeh!!! *throws a fit*

250GB!! What package are you on?? I am only a 30GB allowance!!! (That is another reason why I hate eircom)

Again with respect to the Eircom team here:
    Going on what I've experienced with the company it's understandable that someone may feel like throwing a fit :D

The 250gb is the cap on their unlimited packages. My issue is with the way it is advertised.

"Unlimited - (adjective) Not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent" - Oxford English Dictionary

How can Vodaphone's advertised 300gb package be more than Eircom's advertised 'unlimited' package! That's just a world gone topsy turvy :confused:

Again with respect to the Eircom team here:
    Going on what I've experienced with the company it's understandable that someone may feel like throwing a fit :D

The 250gb is the cap on their unlimited packages. My issue is with the way it is advertised.

"Unlimited - (adjective) Not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent" - Oxford English Dictionary

How can Vodaphone's advertised 300gb package be more than Eircom's advertised 'unlimited' package! That's just a world gone topsy turvy :confused:

250GB for a Unlimited package??? That does not seem right.

Eircom, please stop hiding and tell us what the hell is going on?? Do we have to take this to a legal level, because I am very close to doing such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Speaking of allowances ours is a stingy, mean, scrimping, miserly, tight-fisted, tight 10GB. What's even more stingy was when NGB was introduced (at last), the allowance went from 10GB download to 10GB upload and download, effectively reducing the allowance by over 5.%. That is tight wad of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

I TOTALLY AGREE....what a stupid way to charge people for uploads too..what a clever way to make money off people goin excedding their monthly usage..im on 8mb ngb with peak calls for 50 a month and im only getting just over 4mb which is very bad as im not getting what im paying for..im only with them 2 months and have to stick with it for a year and i think ill be leaving too cos of 3 reasons.NO PIRATEBAY.STUPID UPLOAD/DOWNLOAD USAGE CRAP AND NGB NOT LIVING UP TO WHAT ITS SUPPOSED TO BE

I TOTALLY AGREE....what a stupid way to charge people for uploads too..what a clever way to make money off people goin excedding their monthly usage..im on 8mb ngb with peak calls for 50 a month and im only getting just over 4mb which is very bad as im not getting what im paying for..im only with them 2 months and have to stick with it for a year and i think ill be leaving too cos of 3 reasons.NO PIRATEBAY.STUPID UPLOAD/DOWNLOAD USAGE CRAP AND NGB NOT LIVING UP TO WHAT ITS SUPPOSED TO BE

A 30GB cap can be exceeded just by doing normal web surfing and not downloading anything.

Whoever decided to put 30GB as a download allowance should get fired!

I'm surprised that no one from Eircom has actually said anything here. Eircom:Mark or whoever, can I please get a email address for someone that I can talk to (non-support) who will listen to the customers about the state of the company and the products that you are providing??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

yes true tottaly agree...eircom mark and whoever makes these decisions need to change the 30g allowance to unlimited for the 50 euro package..people could use that in a week so plz change it cos ye are gonna lose a lot of customers over this so PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Im on the same package as yourself and im getting the 8Mb but after doing a speedtest im clocking in at 4MB even though i was told my line can get over 20mb. The 10GB of usage is rubbish... i work from home and i could use that much in afew days only sending emails.

I was told that Xbox live and youtube use up alot your 10GB allowence so i had to pay 5 euro extra to get the 30GB and its the middle of Febuary now and im nearly over my limit.

Can i get my old 1mb line back that had the unlimited usage. Sigh :mad:

I fairness the Eircom guys that are here on Boards are really helpful. I was dealing with Tony before and he was really helpful so keep up the good work guys

Do we have to take this to a legal level, because I am very close to doing such a thing.

There is nothing illegal about what they are doing and some of the other service providers are advertising this way also. The limit for the unlimited package (lol) is clearly outlined in their 'fair usage policy'. As far as I know though there is a High Court challange currently underway against this form of advertising.

250gb is a massive amount per month but why not just state it instead of trying to make it sound catchy for people who may not have a full grasp on download limits vs their usage etc ...

I really think Eircom would benefit from fully factoring in the lifetime value of a customer rather than what they can extract in 12 months.

Maybe all the Eircom guys here should be promoted up to the most senior positions and replace the oulfellas that have been with the company since they were 16, and who make decisions like laying copper wiring instead of fiber optics because it was cheaper .. well done lads :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

There is nothing illegal about what they are doing and some of the other service providers are advertising this way also. The limit for the unlimited package (lol) is clearly outlined in their 'fair usage policy'. As far as I know though there is a High Court challange currently underway against this form of advertising.

250gb is a massive amount per month but why not just state it instead of trying to make it sound catchy for people who may not have a full grasp on download limits vs their usage etc ...

I really think Eircom would benefit from fully factoring in the lifetime value of a customer rather than what they can extract in 12 months.

Maybe all the Eircom guys here should be promoted up to the most senior positions and replace the oulfellas that have been with the company since they were 16, and who make decisions like laying copper wiring instead of fiber optics because it was cheaper .. well done lads :D

Actually, they decided to lay aluminium wire instead of copper, because it was cheaper.

Of course it was unsuitable for data, and could only cope with voice.

Meh.

Plug time: I use premier broadband, very low on selling and marketing, but very high quality service, owner operated, no land line - and actually supply what they offer.

Consistent 2mb down, except on Sunday afternoon(?)

Happy customer.

Advertisement