Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much complex carbohydrates?

Options
  • 10-02-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey folks, Looking for some advice please,

Basically I'm training to do my first marathon but not too sure If my diet is suitable,

For breakfast I have porridge with a banana and apple,
    Then for lunch some muesli, sprinkle of granola and some natural yogurt,
    I'll usually have an apple before around a hours run after work,
    Then after a run usually a fruit salad with natural yougurt or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs,

At the weekend I'll usually cook chili con carne or some curry, Changes but I'll always have my porridge for breakfast and muesli for lunch

But I heard of a friend that this diet plays havoc on my sugar levels,
    Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Is this all you eat every day :eek: as apart from the weekend, where is the protein and healthy fats in your mid week diet?

IMO there is no way that what you outlined could be considered as a balanced and healthy diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭aficionado

I figured the eggs, salmon and yogurt would give me the protein and healthy fats,
    I guess not! Any recommendations?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

You actually might get better advice on nutrition with marathon training in mind over on the Athletics/Running/Triathlon (A/R/T) forum.

However I have done some running priviously, longest distance being half marathon, and even though I ate more carbs than I do now, especially before and after long runs, my diet was more varied and I believe balanced,

This is an example of my current daily food intake. And if I started marathon training tomorrow, it would not change too much except that I would have a carby type meal a couple of hours prior to my long runs and would maybe eat slightly more carbs after my runs.

05:20 Breakfast
    20g Oats, 3 Almond nuts, 4 hazel nuts, 4 brazil nuts, 4 half walnuts, table spn of mixed seeds, 6 grapes, 6 raspberries, 6 blackberries, 3 strawberries, table spn blueberries with 200ml skimmed milk.
    200ml Cranberry Juice
    1 Mug green tea

Supplements: 1 multi vit, 4 fish oil caps, 1 Mega Cissus, 2 Glucosamine & Chondritin (for Joints)

09:00 At desk in work
    2 scoops ON Protein, 5g Creatine 5g L-Glutamine, 300ml skimmed milk
    2 generous tea spns of Peanut Butter
    1/2 Banana
    1 mug green tea

13:00Lunch
    Today will be 2 5oz chicken breasts, 350g Ratatouille (homemade)
    1 mug green tea.

16:00 At desk in work
    150g homemade Cottage Cheese and mixed berries mix.
    1/2 Banana

Workout between 18:00-19:30
    Tonight will be a SS type Compound lifts routine

19:35 Post workout shake

2 scoops of ON Protein, 1.5 scoops of Glucose, 5g Creatine, 5g L-Glutamine, 400ml ice cold water.

20:15 ish Dinner
    Tonight I will have 7oz fillet steak, 4 soft boiled eggs scooped out of their shell and mashed up with a knob of butter, and a fairly large salad (mixed leaves, mixed peppers, red onions, spring onions, grated carrot, 1 table spn cashew nuts, 6 cherry tomatoes with a balsamic vinegarette
    1 Mug green tea, 2 squares of 90% dark chocolate (my treat on lifting days biggrin.gif )

I would also get through another 3-4 liters of fluids throughout the day.

Advertisement