Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Incident

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Hogzy wrote: »
    I live 4 miles to the east of the airport. Fog around 10am was unbelievably bad up on the hill where the airport is.
    Where i live i couldnt see houses that were 70m from our house

I agree...I left home at 7 this morning and the fog (in places) was the worst I have seen in a long long time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭HooterSnout

I live 4 miles to the east of the airport. Fog around 10am was unbelievably bad up on the hill where the airport is.

Added to the fact that Cork Airport has it's own weather system. Overcast in City equals floods in the Airport and Business Park. Rest in Peace to those who lost their lives today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Condolences to all those involved. Terribly terribly sad. I gather from the Garda talking at the televised press conference that the deaths were most likely from physical injury than burns as the fire didn't spread to the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Some people have real class…

"@IsaacsCork We are offering cheap accommodation room only €50 or €35pps B&B. Our sincerest condelences for all in todays Tragic accident at Cork Airport"

http://twitter.com/IsaacsCork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends who have lost loved ones today in this terrible tragedy. And to those who work in front line services within Cork Airport, HSE, Gardai, Firemen - it must be a horrendous day for them having to cope with this. Stay strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,560 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP all who died, tragic news, god help all the family and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/feb/10/cork-plane-crash-latest-news

A cousin of Ireland's President Mary McAleese is reported to be among the six who died in the Cork plane crash.

Brendan McAleese is among the fatalities according to reports from Belfast City Airport where his wife arrived this afternoon.

The President's cousin runs a laundry business in Northern Ireland and was on his way to a meeting in southern Ireland when he joined the flight.

News broke about President McAleese's personal connection to the tragedy just hours after she had sent her sympathies on behalf of the entire Irish people to the victims' families.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

My deepest condolences to all the families of the dead today and my thoughts with the injured and their families....terrible tragedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I was coming down from the Military Hill direction this morning just before 8 and there was the odd spot where I couldn't actually see, visibility was that bad.
    evilivor wrote: »
    Some people have real class…

"@IsaacsCork We are offering cheap accommodation room only €50 or €35pps B&B. Our sincerest condelences for all in todays Tragic accident at Cork Airport"

http://twitter.com/IsaacsCork
    Holy ****ing sh1t...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

And they cant even spell condolence right!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

How far back do you have to go in Irish history for a similar scale of tragedy - Excluding the Air India plane which was way out over the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

i think it was an aerlingus flight near tuskar rock off wexford in the 60's, bout 60 died in that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

wispyman wrote: »
    How far back do you have to go in Irish history for a similar scale of tragedy - Excluding the Air India plane which was way out over the sea.
    Unfortunately, only last July. The 8 lads killed in the car crash in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Unfortunately, only last July. The 8 lads killed in the car crash in Donegal

As you rightly highlighted I did not specify air crashes!! I was just curious as to any notable air related incidents over the last 50 odd years in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I would suppose the worst disaster in modern times(excluding monaghan and dublin bombings and the stardust) in the republic was the buttevant train crash in 1980 and again the emergency plan had to be activated in cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Rest in Peace

eastbono wrote: »
    I would suppose the worst disaster in modern times(excluding monaghan and dublin bombings and the stardust) in the republic was the buttevant train crash in 1980 and again the emergency plan had to be activated in cork.

Betelgeuse incident and wasn't there a ferry up the country that turned over? I'm not sure how many died.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

wispyman wrote: »
    As you rightly highlighted I did not specify air crashes!! I was just curious as to any notable air related incidents over the last 50 odd years in Ireland

Tuskar Rock in 1968, that was an Aer lingus flight from Cork to London, 68 were killed in that crash.

After that then the Air India bombing in 1985 where 329 died but it was in the middle of the sea so not really in Ireland though it did happen in Irish air space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

eastbono wrote: »

You're probably right about Buttevant being the worst transport accident we have had - in terms of the other disasters we should also mention the Betelgeuse / Whiddy Island explosion from the late '70s.

Such an amazing response from all the emergency services, made all the awful news that little bit easier to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

themonboys wrote: »

Betelgeuse incident and wasn't there a ferry up the country that turned over? I'm not sure how many died.
    Tuskar Rock in 1968, that was an Aer lingus flight from Cork to London, 68 were killed in that crash.

Oops, missed these posts for some reason. Yeah, that capsized boat was at New Quay, Co. Clare.

http://www.clarepeople.com/wordp5/201007021873/north-clare-remembers-its-worst-boating-tragedy/

More recently / locally, there was a ferry accident at Castletownbere in 1994.

http://folk.uio.no/erikro/WWW/corrgr/insurance/incident.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Been thinking of all the disasters with Cork connections; all those already mentioned and the Titanic's last port was Cork, and the torpedoed Lusitania off Cork, add in the subs and other warships ~ we've had a hand in most of the major incidents, hate that word actually too but.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Anyone else think what the funk were Cork County Council doing giving statements and interviews ?.it didnt look right in the papers and on the news channels.Surely this was a job for the head of the gardai,fire department,cork airport,HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

They're local government. I'm assuming the airport is technically outside of the city bounds. If something like this happened in the city I'd expect the mayor to be dealing with the press, I don't see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ballyphehane

A Holy mass will be offered at twelve noon tomorrow at The Church of The Assumption, Ballyphehane, Cork for those who died on Thursday at Cork Airport, for bereaved, for the recovery of the injured and in recognition of the emergency staff involved in the rescue.
    The principal reverend will be Doctor John Buckley, Bishop of Cork and Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Anyone else think what the funk were Cork County Council doing giving statements and interviews ?Surely this was a job for the head of the fire department

Local councils are responsible for the fire departments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Just on the news there that in the Preliminary report showed that there was no fault with the Aircraft's systems.

Advertisement