Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Min wage cut

Options
  • 10-02-2011 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering can someone advise me what I should do now.
    I got a letter in my part-time job, handed to me by my immediate boss, and it said, that I should sign it to say I agreed with taking a cut in my minimum wage, the last line of the letter says, something to the effect, if you do not sign you will be seen to be in breach and of your contract and causing a grievance ect.

So, I signed the letter, so as not to cause a grievance.

But someone said that by law I have 14 days to rescind the contract I made by signing the letter.
    Also, is there a new body set up to try and assist people affected by the new cuts.

Any info appreciated.

- E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Does your contract say anything about pay cuts?

This is from the nera website:
    Can an employer reduce an existing employee’s pay?

An employee's rate of pay is a term/condition of their contract of employment (employees have a contract of employment or terms of employment whether notified in writing or not).

In some cases the contract or terms of employment stipulate that the employee is paid at the “prevailing NMW hourly rate”. Where this is the case then an employer may reduce the employee’s pay in line with the NMW rates. In other cases there may be a provision in the contract that provides for a reduction in pay. Where this is not the case any change would normally be by agreement between the parties. Such agreement can be expressed or implied, tacit or by acquiescence (i.e. it can be formally agreed, informally or verbally agreed or accepted by the employee).

Edit - this might be a good place to start:

Employment Rights Information Service: Lo Call 1890 80 80 90*

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This hotel chain is def not the first business to cut wage, a shop had cut the wage in Nov before it was even law in Dec.

Same shop 4 staff members have left and have found similar jobs nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I see that the hotel has been ordered to reverse the cuts.

The €1 cut in the minimum wage only applies to new entrants and NOT existing staff. Any employer that tries to implement this cut on existing staff should be named and shamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 emschlem

So does this apply to all those who signed their €1 an hour away?
    The new Government pledge to reverse the min wage cut within 100 days, but 100 days is a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If the employee signed their €1 an hour away they may have lost it forever. If they signed a sheet saying the would for the prevailing minimum wage rate then they may be restored when the wage is restored.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If the employee signed their €1 an hour away they may have lost it forever. If they signed a sheet saying the would for the prevailing minimum wage rate then they may be restored when the wage is restored.

I'm pretty sure that their wages would have to be restored if the minimum wage is increased again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 emschlem

Eoin wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that their wages would have to be restored if the minimum wage is increased again.

Thanks, but it would mean that anyone who signed their agreement of the reduction could now be working at a loss of 40 quid a week (if working 5days per week) Until the government undo the cut (if they undo the cut)

reducing a weekly income to 267.75
    Thats if a person works 7 hours a day five days a week.

pretty much peanuts, for backbreaking work.

Yes, I would imagine that's the case - the poster above me was saying "lost it forever" and "may be restored", which is what I was commenting on.

Advertisement