Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humax Foxsat Not powering up.?

• 10-02-2011 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭

Have this receiver with over 2 years and was very happy with it.
    Sometimes you would get a message on screen saying searching for updates or something along those lines..When this happened the receiver froze so it was a case of unplugging it and leave it for a few minutes,Plug back in and everything worked fine again. This happened last week and after unplugging/plugging it never powered up again..The green lights on the front are just doing a continous cycle now but getting no further..
    Any ideas as to how to fix it as it is out of warranty..

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

every now and again the foxsat searches for new channels. You should let it do that.

Normally what happens is that it takes about a minute to do that and then tells you it added channel such and such.

Your original problem therefore did not sound good.

Does anythign show up on screen now when you try to boot up. Does the word boot show up in the LCD display?

worse case is that the drive has failed but that can be replaced and others on boards have experience of how to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Trevord wrote: »
    every now and again the foxsat searches for new channels. You should let it do that.

Normally what happens is that it takes about a minute to do that and then tells you it added channel such and such.

Your original problem therefore did not sound good.

Does anythign show up on screen now when you try to boot up. Does the word boot show up in the LCD display?

worse case is that the drive has failed but that can be replaced and others on boards have experience of how to do that.

Hi,
    I understand about the updating part.. it often did update but on the occasions it failed what i noticed was it could keep searching for an update for hours on end.

Nothing showing on screen to say boot..only the continuous chasing green lights.

I did read somewhere about capacitors going faulty in the PSU,,
    I wonder could the PSU be bypassed and use something like a Laptop PSU instead??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unlikely as there are many different volatages needed. A Laptop has an internal PSU that uses the very variable voltage battery and the fixed 12V to 24V input depending on model.

OK
    Cheers

Anyone here have fixed one and would advise me on how to??

If you have never repaired SMPSUs, then consider forgetting about fixing it.

If you are experienced with soldering and mains voltages, then replace any electrolytic capacitors bulging at top or pushing out bung with equivalent parts rated 105 Degrees C or higher.

• Advertisement

is there anyone in Cork that can fix these??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

watty wrote: »
    then replace any electrolytic capacitors bulging at top or pushing out bung with equivalent parts rated 105 Degrees C or higher.

Not only 105'C but also low ESR. In addition, a few may require a high pulse current rating.

I would contact Humax and see what they say.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/contactus.asp

Liameter wrote: »
    I would contact Humax and see what they say.

Just emailed them now
    Thanks

Well,
    No reply from Humax

Opened the receiver and took a few pics of the PSU
    as you can see here there are a few bulging capacitors
    would anyone in Cork be able to repair it for me ??
    failing this i would have to send it to the UK :(

70EC22169D2045B5BA8FBEDB8863BED4-0000326183-0002161722-00800L-9BE9ECF3D36647799376DAC32E248D54.jpg

If you write down the specification for each capacitor such as:
    2200uF, 10v, 15mm dia x 25mm high.
    Email the list to Satcure and they will send you a kit that anyone with a soldering iron could fit for you.

Those CapXon capacitors are the same h.o.s. that were fitted to the Thomson boxes so little wonder that they've failed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

had u the latest software?

Nowso wrote: »
    had u the latest software?

I would assume so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

vectra wrote: »
    would anyone in Cork be able to repair it for me ??

You could try the AV service place on Fr Matthew Quay - they might be of use.

evilivor wrote: »
    You could try the AV service place on Fr Matthew Quay - they might be of use.

Just rang them there. No joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Just rang them there. No joy.

Oh dear. I feel like going home a hugging my Humax tonight for fear it will go wrong. Hope you get sorted.

evilivor wrote: »
    Oh dear. I feel like going home a hugging my Humax tonight for fear it will go wrong. Hope you get sorted.

LOL
    Thanks

Am I imagining this or is it not the case that the Philips store in Dublin was supplying the Foxsat though some relationship with Richer Sounds in Belfast?

A call to the Philips store in Dublin might give you an idea where it could get sorted. Worth a shot anyway.

Am I imagining this or is it not the case that the Philips store in Dublin was supplying the Foxsat though some relationship with Richer Sounds in Belfast?

A call to the Philips store in Dublin might give you an idea where it could get sorted. Worth a shot anyway.

Any idea of contact details??
    All is worth a shot ;);)

Did you contact satcure about a kit. I understand that if they've never supplied the kit previously, they'll do it for free if you list the parts.

Did you contact satcure about a kit. I understand that if they've never supplied the kit previously, they'll do it for free if you list the parts.

Actually posted this on their forum yesterday, They did reply aking for a list of capacitor values..
    BUT

Where would I start :eek:

Do they mean every item on the board or just the ones that are blown..and yes you are right..They did say free,,
    I was going to post the board to them so as they could verify the correct ones.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

Ok, Ring R & M Electronics, their in Johnstown Industrial Estste Waterford, Ask for Adjidio or Ollie, Their very good, Give as much info as you can, ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Have you tried contacting Humax themselves? I think the PSU is a seperate unit that could be purchased from them.

Premier wrote: »
    Ok, Ring R & M Electronics, their in Johnstown Industrial Estste Waterford, Ask for Adjidio or Ollie, Their very good, Give as much info as you can, ;)

Will do that shortly
    thanks
    Have you tried contacting Humax themselves? I think the PSU is a seperate unit that could be purchased from them.

Emailed them twice and tried to ring several times. Just cant seem to get them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Emailed them twice and tried to ring several times. Just cant seem to get them

I have got a response from them. I would try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

R&M in Waterford are closed for about the past two years

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

ei9go wrote: »
    R&M in Waterford are closed for about the past two years

Or have they moved? well i havent been in there in a long time, Pity if they are, just tried to ring them phone is off

Any idea of contact details??
    All is worth a shot ;);)

See here for Philips store contact info
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055515600

and read down through the posts on this page
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056135620
    They are def a source for the Humax so may have servicing info

See here for Philips store contact info
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055515600

and read down through the posts on this page
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056135620
    They are def a source for the Humax so may have servicing info

Thanks for that
    Worth a phone call to see if they could supply a new psu and be done with it ;)

I have had a few other offers to get it sorted and one especially from one good member on here

Well,
    Rang philips center
    Told them whta was wrong..Still need me to send to post it to them to have a look and pay them €40 for that :rolleyes:
    Then another charge to fix it,,
    Scrap that plan

next i rang tech support for Humax.
    Got on to a very nice guy.
    he is checking to see if a replacement psu is available and if I could get it under warranty,, or at a low cost.
    waiting Phone call.

Fingers crossed..:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kelsca

Hi,I have the same problem with my Foxsat.
    Did you get your box fixed
    Any info much appreciated...Thanks.

It seems that Satcure is still waiting for a list of parts. See http://notonyourtelly.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2524
    Free kit to the first person.

kelsca wrote: »
    Hi,I have the same problem with my Foxsat.
    Did you get your box fixed
    Any info much appreciated...Thanks.

Hi,What age is your one?

I rang Foxsat and explained the situation to them
    They offered me a replacement psu for I think around £38 sterling inc.VAT/Delivery

I asked them if they would have any goodwill gesture as the unit was less than 2 years old.
    They have organised a courier to collect my unit and take it back to them to repair it under warranty.
    BUT
    The said courier has not been seen since :o
    I have sat in all this week waiting for him.

Going to ring tham again Monday and stay on it.
    Will let you know the outcome.

It seems that Satcure is still waiting for a list of parts. See http://notonyourtelly.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2524
    Free kit to the first person.

Yeah,
    That is me they are waiting on.
    I couldnt read the values on the Caps. Eyesight not what it used to be.:(
    BUT
    on saying that..it was going to be plan B failing Humax fixing mine.

Yeah,
    I couldnt read the values on the Caps. Eyesight not what it used to be.:(

Snap. I have to use a magnifying glass and a torch just to read my credit card number. Why do they have to emboss it with metallic silver on a pale grey background?

I do find that bright light helps so maybe an LED torch and magnifier...?

Actually, I carry one of those LED forehead torches with me at all times. Like the old miner's lamp. Useful for hunting snails, too. ;)

Hi,my Foxsat was bought may 2008 online from satbuyer.
    I do not think humax will entertain a warranty replacement.
    As to reading the values of the electronic components and soldering this is a definite no go area for me.
    As to getting a replacement PSU unit from Humax-would this involve soldering,etc or is it just a case of swopping it out-as you would with a hard drive on a pc?
    Also,could you post or pm the contact details that you used to contact Humax.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi,my Foxsat was bought may 2008 online from satbuyer.
    I do not think humax will entertain a warranty replacement.
    As to reading the values of the electronic components and soldering this is a definite no go area for me.
    As to getting a replacement PSU unit from Humax-would this involve soldering,etc or is it just a case of swopping it out-as you would with a hard drive on a pc?
    Also,could you post or pm the contact details that you used to contact Humax.
    Thanks.

As you will see here.
    It is all plug & Play
    Here is a pic I took of mine
    6C268AFD71C048E5AC105E9804EFA71B-0000326183-0002161719-00800L-3F8AE1CFBC3A4B6BA9B43F9F1FF76779.jpg

I will locate contact details for you
    *EDIT*
    Here you go

Adam Smith

Humax Customer Support

Tel: 0844 669 8800

Fax: 0203 014 5353

Thanks to vectra

Well,
    After weeks and several attempts by Humax to get a courier to collect my receiver and deliver it to them in the UK. I got a welcoming phone call from the today offering to post out a new PSU to me if i can install it myself.
    Will update you on the outcome next week
    *Roll on 2011 F1 season in HD* :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

and the fixed 12V to 24V input depending on model.

Wish you would tell that to Dell Watty,they recently charged me e65 for the only input power unit which the site claimed was the only input lead i could use for an Inspiron 1720.
    input 19.5 volts!:)

There are 3rd party PSUs (fixed and adjustable) with adaptors to suit ANY Dell. I have a 3rd party 90W 19V adaptor with 3 pin Dell Laptop plug, runs cooler than original 19.5V adaptor. The missing 0.5V is only 2% drop. Laptop Tolerance is about 5% to 10%.

There is no such thing as an "exact" PSU. I also had a 120W variable 14V to 24V "universal" laptop adaptor with every laptop connector you ever saw. The 3 pin DELL one was missing the "high power" link so laptop thought it only 75W. Made new adaptor by cutting plug and part of cable off broken PSU. I use that PSU now for a 24V radio transmitter.

PS. I can see two bulging capacitors in the photo to the right. They are likely faulty. The "scores" on the top of case is to let them split rather than explode when they go faulty. Heat makes them fail. Replacement parts should be 105C rated not the cheaper 70C or 85C types which are no good for PSUs.

• Advertisement

PS. I can see two bulging capacitors in the photo to the right. They are likely faulty. The "scores" on the top of case is to let them split rather than explode when they go faulty. Heat makes them fail. Replacement parts should be 105C rated not the cheaper 70C or 85C types which are no good for PSUs.

Not only that, the printed circuit board is discoloured showing overheating, probably from the active parts nearby - probly the parts attached to those heatsinks. Replace the PSU, it is not worth trying to troubleshoot as it needs more than a couple of capacitors.

Yes,
    Replacement PSU on its way to me on Monday ;)

Thing is. This was sitting in a shelf on its own all its life.. it never got shut down though.. Left on all the time.. Maybe I should consider turning it off each night.. Give it a break :o

Yes,
    Replacement PSU on its way to me on Monday ;)

Thing is. This was sitting in a shelf on its own all its life.. it never got shut down though.. Left on all the time.. Maybe I should consider turning it off each night.. Give it a break :o

Perhaps you could put it on a time clock that turns it off every night. The Humax needs to be on at 3 am every night to check for updates. A cheap mechanical clock might be worth it.

Perhaps you could put it on a time clock that turns it off every night. The Humax needs to be on at 3 am every night to check for updates. A cheap mechanical clock might be worth it.

Does it check at 3am every night?

Well,
    After weeks and several attempts by Humax to get a courier to collect my receiver and deliver it to them in the UK. I got a welcoming phone call from the today offering to post out a new PSU to me if i can install it myself.
    Will update you on the outcome next week
    *Roll on 2011 F1 season in HD* :pac:

Hi,I e-mailed Humax,they replied and quoted £31.60 for the part and carriage.
    The part number they are quoting is
    01403-00018
    POWER SMPS PW714S (1.0/A.2)
    Is this the same as yours Vectra?

I phoned yesterday to confirm & order the part,however they took my phone number & said they would phone back.....still waiting,but hopefully will hear from them soon.

Hi,I e-mailed Humax,they replied and quoted £31.60 for the part and carriage.
    The part number they are quoting is
    01403-00018
    POWER SMPS PW714S (1.0/A.2)
    Is this the same as yours Vectra?

I phoned yesterday to confirm & order the part,however they took my phone number & said they would phone back.....still waiting,but hopefully will hear from them soon.

Hi Kelsca
    I have no idea as to the part number.. I gave them the serial number off my receiver.

Does it check at 3am every night?

Yes, and it needs to stay on long enough to download. However, if you do not have it on, it will download when you turn it on, it just takes time.

Yes, and it needs to stay on long enough to download. However, if you do not have it on, it will download when you turn it on, it just takes time.

So maybe i leave it on one or two nights per week?

So maybe i leave it on one or two nights per week?

Not a bad compromise. I think it is only for software updates, because my one asks to rescan on power-up when there is a change. My one is always left in stand-by, not fully powered up.

Well,
    New PSU arrived today finally.
    5 minutes later it was fitted and all is well again.. Formula 1 in HD this weekend..woohoo :D

Thanks everyone for your input.

• Advertisement
Advertisement