Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soligor lens...

• 10-02-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I've been constrained by my setup for far too long!!!!

I'm shooting with a Canon 10D and a 35-80mm lens for over a year. I have a (very) small amount of cash to splash on a new(ish) lens. I can't afford to buy new, and I can't afford more than about €150 MAX. I briefly toyed with the idea of upgrading to a 1000D, but tbh i'd rather go with glass since when I used an L lens on the 10D the shots were really awesome, so even though my camera is a dinosaur (and a very big one at that) there's still life in it yet. 6mp is more than enough for me right now.

My main interests are landscape/cityscape, so I'm feeling pretty peeved by the 35mm at this point...

My big problem is that the 10D won't take the newer ef-s lenses, so picking up a kit lens on adverts is a no-go. Conns have a 19-35mm soligor for €99 at the mo... I don't know much about them, have people here used them? Conns tell me it'll work fine with my 10D and the AF will work (my eyesight won't let me use manual), but I'd like some feedback from someone who's not trying to sell it to me, if you know what I mean?

Anyway tl;dr- are soligor lenses any good, or does anyone have another recommendation for a wide angle ef mount lens for around €100?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

zoegh wrote: »
    My big problem is that the 10D won't take the newer ef-s lenses, so picking up a kit lens on adverts is a no-go. Conns have a 19-35mm soligor for €99 at the mo... I don't know much about them, have people here used them? Conns tell me it'll work fine with my 10D and the AF will work (my eyesight won't let me use manual), but I'd like some feedback from someone who's not trying to sell it to me, if you know what I mean?

Anyway tl;dr- are soligor lenses any good, or does anyone have another recommendation for a wide angle ef mount lens for around €100?

Soligor is one of those mysterious lens manufacturers that pop up with budget offerings every now and again. There are identical 19->35 lenses branded Cosina and Voigtlander, so it's probably either a Cosina offering, or they've all sourced them from the same place. The price is pretty low even for a Cosina lens so I'd say the latter rather than the former. Never used one, I'd say you gets whats you pays for. IE I'd say it's probably reasonable enough, probably distorts and vignettes a little at the wide end, probably soft wide open, but maybe not. Do a flickr search for examples and if you like them then just buy it. €99 isn't too much anyhow.

-edit- apparently the Vivitar and Tokina 19-35mm lenses are the same lens aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Cheers Daire! At this point I just want something usable that's wider than what I have.

Will try find examples, even though flickr confuses me! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

zoegh wrote: »
    Will try find examples, even though flickr confuses me! :p

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=19-35mm+soligor

Advertisement