Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Price Gouging Effective 12 March. Get Out Of Contract Free

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,566 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Got my letter today. Quick question, does this mean I can just cancel my service over the phone. BB and Phone gone no more bills?

I will be doing this, but who to go with is the next question. I live outside Fermoy, Co Cork. WiMax are available but I need the External Install. Vodafone are available, but they seem to only be able to offer the same as Eircom BB speed wise.

Where outside Fermoy are you?? I am in Fermoy and am with Vodafone "up to 8mb + Talk anytime for 52 per month"
    When it is good it is excellent.. When it is slow it is shocking *which seems to be from Midday to Midnight recently*
    I am hoping they can sort I may have to get them to explain to my solicitor exactly how my line/speed can be 7mb + during the night and 1mb- during the day using exactly the same equipment..:rolleyes:

What is this external Install for Wimax?? I was going to change to them but they never mentioned this to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭chrislynch8

vectra wrote: »
    Where outside Fermoy are you?? I am in Fermoy and am with Vodafone "up to 8mb + Talk anytime for 52 per month"
    When it is good it is excellent.. When it is slow it is shocking *which seems to be from Midday to Midnight recently*
    I am hoping they can sort I may have to get them to explain to my solicitor exactly how my line/speed can be 7mb + during the night and 1mb- during the day using exactly the same equipment..:rolleyes:

What is this external Install for Wimax?? I was going to change to them but they never mentioned this to me..

Clondulane - Had to get Eircom to get a line as Vodafone wouldn't do it and Imagine, called to the door a couple of weeks after signing up with Eircom, but I'm not very keen on the External Install from Imagine... This means that I am at a distance from the Mast where the internal Hub will not work, so its a receiver on the outside of the house to pick up the signal and then two cables into the house to the router, and I think they charge 150 for the install.

Where is the exchange in Fermoy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

dub45 wrote: »
    Companies are entitled to change their Terms and Conditions and there are usually clauses within their Terms and Conditions as to how this should be done in respect of notifying customers and the notice period involved.

When they receive the notice customers can then choose to take whatever action they wish.

Unlike your darling UPC who showed contempt for their own Terms and Conditions, E.C. regulations and Comreg requirments in this case Eircom seem to be giving their customers the required notice period.

Comreg of course confirmed this view of UPC's actions.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0202/1224288769135.html

Your beloved UPC attempted to sleepwalk customers into their price "changes". In this case Eircom customers won't be told that they have "tacitly" accepted the price increase as UPC customers apparently were being told according to reports on here.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

UPC? I am asking about Eircon here like everyone else?

Interested in your views of this failing company that are loosing more and more market share every day. Seems like Eircon are making one mistake after another this being the latest by basically handing out get out of contract cards while at the same time loosing massive market share to their competitors.
    No one tends to want to drop the ball but least of all when your already on a loosing streak.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

hightower1 wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

UPC? I am asking about Eircon here like everyone else?

Interested in your views of this failing company that are loosing more and more market share every day. Seems like Eircon are making one mistake after another this being the latest by basically handing out get out of contract cards while at the same time loosing massive market share to their competitors.
    No one tends to want to drop the ball but least of all when your already on a loosing streak.

I am sure that Eircom dont give two hoots about my views on their business decisions.

As a consumer (but not an Eircom customer I might add) I am glad to see them complying with the necessary requirements for changing their Terms and Conditions. It makes a pleasant change as I am sure you are only too well aware?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

as an eircom worker i am sadden by these price hikes in this bad time's money wise for most off us.....and it now seems eircom will just shoot them selfs in the foot with this price hike.....i am now feed up with the price and the sneaky ways they do business....and i am going elsewere for my phone and bb service...i also feel that eircom is now on its knee's and will be shut down or a very small company indeed.....i dont no why they are doing this, alot of people are so pissed off they will just switch to vodafone or 1 or d other providers....and us a eircom the normal joe soap will be on the dole.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

please don't turn this into a UPC versus Eircom thread!
    there are other threads for that....

But can someone confirm if these changes by Eircom
    will have knockon effects to other providers
    that lease the line from Eircom
    provides such as a home phone from this shower..[URL] http://www.icecomms.net/home-broadband[/URL]

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

please don't turn this into a UPC versus Eircom thread!
    there are other threads for that....

But can someone confirm if these changes by Eircom
    will have knockon effects to other providers
    that lease the line from Eircom
    provides such as a home phone from this shower..[URL] http://www.icecomms.net/home-broadband[/URL]

Not unless Eircom put up their wholesale rates I would presume.

These are increases from Eircom the isp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,566 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Where is the exchange in Fermoy?

"Elbow Lane" if you know it?

If not,
    Then picture the rear of the Post Office..The lane by the "Mart Bar"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    1. Call set up fee ( minimum call charge) goes to 9.5c from 5.95c
    2. Calls will be rounded UP to the nearest 1c
    lmao, does this mean a call set-up will actually be 10c?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

please don't turn this into a UPC versus Eircom thread![/URL]

Only one poster is at that (as usual!).;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ShakyJ

My folks are currently with Eircom on the following package:

Eircom NGB Basic: 8Mb and eircom talktime talker.

If we cancel at the moment due to the current changes will my folks still have to pay a fee as calls are included in this package?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Only one poster is at that (as usual!).;)
    Was that post necessary? Dub45 said nothing until someone questioned why he wasn't criticising eircom's moves. Also, I think the answer was obvious in that eircom have lived by existing regulations and their own Terms and Conditions. I reserve concern for eircom's moves to round up call costs.

I can't see where he's done anything wrong in this instance. The best people can do in response to eircom's decision is to look for an alternative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

/\/ollog wrote: »
    lmao, does this mean a call set-up will actually be 10c?

No, :) however if you get a 3c a minute rate outside your bundle here is how it works.

1. Minimum charge is 9.5c so you paid for the first 3mins and 10 secs the minute the phone is answered. Cos that is what 9.5c buys at 3c a minute. Mkay !!!
    2. As rounding applies you pay 9.5c + 0.5c rounding to 10c the minute your call duration hits 3 mins 11 secs.
    3. No further charges apply until you hit 3 mins and 21 secs
    4. Now you bust 10c the next rounding up is to 11c so the next 19secs are included free at which point you just bust 11c

Etc ad nauseum. I suppose you would call this lurching step billing :D

Was that post necessary? Dub45 said nothing until someone questioned why he wasn't criticising eircom's moves. Also, I think the answer was obvious in that eircom have lived by existing regulations and their own Terms and Conditions. I reserve concern for eircom's moves to round up call costs.

I can't see where he's done anything wrong in this instance. The best people can do in response to eircom's decision is to look for an alternative.

Not the point. The thread is about Eircom - not UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Don't suppose anyone would like to take a guess at my question here? :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70609664&postcount=28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Not the point. The thread is about Eircom - not UPC.
    Oh but it is. My point was; the post above about "one poster" talking about eircom vs UPC was not a fair post.

I saw nothing wrong with Dub45 making an accurate comparison between eircom and UPC, especially when for some unknown reason a couple of people wondered why he wasn't commenting in this thread.

If anyone feels a post is off-topic, surely the place to talk about that is in a PM with the mods or using the report button?

Oh but it is. My point was; the post above about "one poster" talking about eircom vs UPC was not a fair post.

I saw nothing wrong with Dub45 making an accurate comparison between eircom and UPC, especially when for some unknown reason a couple of people wondered why he wasn't commenting in this thread.

If anyone feels a post is off-topic, surely the place to talk about that is in a PM with the mods or using the report button?

Inevitably, any thread Dub45 is involved with ends up in some kind of slanging match against UPC. It is becoming extremely tiresome IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 seimid

I am in a bundle that includes talk anytime uk and national with 30mins to mobiles free. I have tryed to cancel and they keep telling me I will have to pay 375 as the price increase does not effect me in any way. My argument is that it does after my 30mins to mobiles are used up my calls are now rounded to the nearest minute thats more expensive also my 30mins are no longer 30 mins as it is rounded to the nearest min so if I make 15 2sec calls thats my 30mins free used up, also to call directory enquires has incresed and the flat call rate for me to call my family abroad, how can they say the price hike is not affecting me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

So if one is stuck with Eircom what bundle do you guys think represents the best value for a std household, BB + Phone.

Last few days to escape the gouge. Remember you must give 30 days written notice to escape an eircom contract after the 11th of March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Last few days to escape the gouge. Remember you must give 30 days written notice to escape an eircom contract after the 11th of March

Is it possible to get out of a 12 month contract ( agreed a couple of months ago ) and stay with Eircom because of the changes coming in ?

This would allow me to take my time and look around .

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is vodafone any better than eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pablop

To cancel conctract then do I have to just make phone call to them???or do i need to write letter. Guy from upc told me that phone call is enough.. is it?
    And am I affected by these changes?? my bundle is talktime friends plus NGB 8mb. Normally i use internet and sometimes make international calls

Just ring and cancel, this week. You cancel immediately though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

I received no letter from eircom stating a price increase... Would the fact that im only with them since November be a reason maybe?

EDIT: Just read up on it and it seems to be only for calls outside bundles. Anyone with a bundle ~ Price stays the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pablop

Rang them today in the morning and cancelled...I thought line wuld go down dead straight away????now i rung again guy tells me that cancellation has to go through the system and it takes 24 hours...is it true or is it some nasty trick to keep me as a customer???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I signed up in Dec '10 and would like to get out of contract, but wanted to know whether they will cancel the service immediately or would I be able to be on month to month now? to be honest I need the broadband only till the end of the month, so can anyone tell me if they cancel it straight away or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I have been with eircom on a broadband bundle for the past 2 1/2 years. Just signed up with vodafone today (similar package....€3 cheaper but cap goes from 30g to 120g).
    Does this mean that i have got out before 11th march as vodafone will let eircom know that i am moving to them, or am i going to be stuck with this new 30 day notice clause ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    I signed up in Dec '10 and would like to get out of contract, but wanted to know whether they will cancel the service immediately or would I be able to be on month to month now? to be honest I need the broadband only till the end of the month, so can anyone tell me if they cancel it straight away or not?

They usually take a week or so to cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

Have been with Eircom for the last 20 years. They are not investing in their network but are now pushing up their prices.

Meanwhile UPC are upgrading their broadband etc and are offering lower prices for a better service. I for one will be moving once UPC Broadbad is available in my area - which I told will be in the next 3 months

Advertisement