Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Butchers

Options
  • 10-02-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend me a good butchers in Sligo town?
    I was just in one on Grattan St and the butcher was really thick with me for some reason. I was asking him about how much pork mince and chuck steak mince was and he told me the price per kg and I was like.. "I just need the pound" and he just blankly repeated the price and walked off..

I told him I was cooking on Monday so I was just passing and thought I'd pop in and inquire about prices.

Didn't bother replying :P

So, if anyone knows a nice, friendly butchers in town they would recommend I'd be very grateful.

I think that butchers just likes oldies. I was in a queue of about 10 old women and my gran never seems to have a problem. It was probably the piercings that threw him! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

The Butchers in Londis Supermarket are REALLY helpful. The do their best to get you the best cut of meat and really know their stuff.
    I always went there when I was living in Sligo, top notch and really down to earth aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

bobcar61 wrote: »
    The Butchers in Londis Supermarket are REALLY helpful. The do their best to get you the best cut of meat and really know their stuff.
    I always went there when I was living in Sligo, top notch and really down to earth aswell.

Thank you very much, only about a 15 minute walk from Londis and definitely will pop in! I also know Christie's to have a butchers but wasn't sure on how good it is as I've not spoken to anyone who gets their meat from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Foggles

'Clarkes' in Wine St. are also good and pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Not in town but Coolaney butcher's is great. Very friendly and helpful and fantastic products.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Sherlocks in Ballisodare do some lovely meat.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I can't believe that a butcher wouldn't sell you a pound of mince.. that's just weird!!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

I can't believe that a butcher wouldn't sell you a pound of mince.. that's just weird!!

i can't believe that the op is unable to divide by two and get a good approximation of how much a pound of mince costs but expects a very busy butcher to do it;)

its also astounding that said butcher was not falling all over the place in anticipation of the possible sale of a pound of mince next Monday:p

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭xxfelix

I'll second the coolaney butchers! :D Up Coolaney

dardevle wrote: »
    i can't believe that the op is unable to divide by two and get a good approximation of how much a pound of mince costs but expects a very busy butcher to do it;)

its also astounding that said butcher was not falling all over the place in anticipation of the possible sale of a pound of mince next Monday:p

Very busy butcher?

I was actually the only one in the shop and I purposely let several people go ahead of me to ensure I wasn't holding up his customers.

I also had a very brief moment of utter stupidity and when I left, I realised a pound was 500 grams and a kg was 1000 grams.
    I was half way up to work at that stage.

Also, I could have just gone to Tesco, but I want to give my custom to a local business and I would like to talk to someone who is a professional.

I needed the guts of 15 euro's worth of meat. I needed 2 varieties of meat minced and I also needed some things for someone else so yes he should have shown interest, I did get him to price other things for me as he only had certain prices of certain items on display.

Do you think that I was stupid to have gone in and enquire about prices?
    I'm on a very tight budget.

No reason to comment on a thread and be a little smart sh*t about things though! :) No good can come of it.

He was rude to me, he showed me absolutely no interest in a sale of several meats I priced, he couldn't have just explained to me that a lb was half a kg.

If someone looks a little confused when making an enquiry in my work place, I make sure they leave with as much information as I can fill them with.

Anyway! Thank you all for recommending some friendly, local butchers :)
    I'll keep the list for future reference! :)

Lornen wrote: »

No reason to comment on a thread and be a little smart sh*t about things though! :) No good can come of it.

and no reason for insults or threats.....comments are part and parcel of public fora.

especially if you are running down a local business... a business who from the first post had either 10 in a queue in front of you or the last post where there were apparently tumbleweeds blowin through the place:confused:
    just think ....if you had'nt had your brief moment of stupidity the outcome could have been so different and you may have been on here singing the praises of said butcher :cool:

• Advertisement

and no reason for insults or threats.....comments are part and parcel of public fora.

especially if you are running down a local business... a business who from the first post had either 10 in a queue in front of you or the last post where there were apparently tumbleweeds blowin through the place:confused:
    just think ....if you had'nt had your brief moment of stupidity the outcome could have been so different and you may have been on here singing the praises of said butcher :cool:

Aren't you a treat! ;)

I said "about 10". I didn't verify that number.
    I over exaggerated a touch, but who doesn't when they are a bit miffed?
    There was actually 5 old women and 2 were in together with one making a purchase. I was browsing for a few moments to let the butcher sort his money out and get himself together before saying hello. :)
    There was no one bar himself and myself in the shop when we spoke briefly.

Also, it's hadn't. You put the ' not where the first word ends but in place of the missing letter in the second word.

Brief moments of stupidity are had by all seemingly! :D

And furthermore, there is a good reason that man is behind a counter selling meat and I am not. That is his trade and his skill. Not mine.
    If I ask for 500 grams of meat why can't he just tell me what that costs?

If I went to a clothes store and picked up a jumper and asked how much it cost and the cashier said "Well 2 are 47.50" Where is the sense in it?

I just thought it was a bit awkward. Either that or he didn't know himself! :P

Anyway, thank you so very, very much for your reply.
    I needed a laugh this afternoon and you have provided! Have a great day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭xxfelix

Well said Lornen:D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

bobcar61 wrote: »
    How long ago was that? A few years ago they got rid of a lot of their staff(who were helpful and friendly) and hired a few auld ones in their place. I dont even live near there but still went there, I dont anymore as a result. Butchers in Centra Maugheraboy is good.

Aren't you a treat! ;)

I said "about 10". I didn't verify that number.
    I over exaggerated a touch, but who doesn't when they are a bit miffed?
    There was actually 5 old women and 2 were in together with one making a purchase. I was browsing for a few moments to let the butcher sort his money out and get himself together before saying hello. :)
    There was no one bar himself and myself in the shop when we spoke briefly.

Also, it's hadn't. You put the ' not where the first word ends but in place of the missing letter in the second word.

Brief moments of stupidity are had by all seemingly! :D

And furthermore, there is a good reason that man is behind a counter selling meat and I am not. That is his trade and his skill. Not mine.
    If I ask for 500 grams of meat why can't he just tell me what that costs?

If I went to a clothes store and picked up a jumper and asked how much it cost and the cashier said "Well 2 are 47.50" Where is the sense in it?

I just thought it was a bit awkward. Either that or he didn't know himself! :P

Anyway, thank you so very, very much for your reply.
    I needed a laugh this afternoon and you have provided! Have a great day! :)

many thanks for the revised and updated installment of your story:D

thank you also for the spelling correction...(you must be fairly confident that you have never made a grammatical error in any of your posts:o)

anywho, your analogy about clothes would have been a good one - if only they sold clothes by the kilo.
    but if you do happen to purchase your clothes by weight and find yourself in need of a pound of jumpers you will require 454 grams and not 500- otherwise you will be exaggerating a touch.... again:)

many thanks for the revised and updated installment of your story:D

thank you also for the spelling correction...(you must be fairly confident that you have never made a grammatical error in any of your posts:o)

anywho, your analogy about clothes would have been a good one - if only they sold clothes by the kilo.
    but if you do happen to purchase your clothes by weight and find yourself in need of a pound of jumpers you will require 454 grams and not 500- otherwise you will be exaggerating a touch.... again:)

Nope, not confident at all!

I just thought I should point out your "moment of stupidity" as clearly as you pointed out mine.

Was it petty?

I think yours was on par with mine. :)

Anyway, Captain Pedantic, please recommend a butcher you have received reputable service from or stop posting in this thread all together. :)

Is your Friday night that unexciting?!

EDIT: If you wish to continue insulting me/questioning my intelligence, please take it to PM'ing me. See up there, top right corner, second line under your name. Go for it!

Nope, not confident at all!

I just thought I should point out your "moment of stupidity" as clearly as you pointed out mine.

Was it petty?

I think yours was on par with mine. :)

Anyway, Captain Pedantic, please recommend a butcher you have received reputable service from or stop posting in this thread all together. :)

Is your Friday night that unexciting?!

EDIT: If you wish to continue insulting me/questioning my intelligence, please take it to PM'ing me. See up there, top right corner, second line under your name. Go for it!

aren't you a treat;)

it would seem that my Friday night is at least as exciting as yours.

my recommendation would be Clarks butchers in Gratten St... excellent meat and good service too :)

aren't you a treat;)

it would seem that my Friday night is at least as exciting as yours.

my recommendation would be Clarks butchers in Gratten St... excellent meat and good service too :)

So very predictable. :rolleyes:

Now, enough of your nonsense. I have a life to get on with. :pac:

The lack of punctuation is KILLING me!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Can everyone here just.........

9677.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think this has gone on long enough so I'm locking the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement