Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork air crash.

• 10-02-2011 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Well done to all involved........

cc30.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Horrible news. I'd like to offer my condolences to those who have lost family and friends in this terrible tragedy. I'm deeply sorry for your loss.

I also applaud the work of the ES personnel who are on-scene dealing.

This is a sad day for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

My thoughts go out to those killed and injured, their families and the ES personnel who responded.
    10/02/2011 - 12:41:47
    The Health Service Executive (HSE) has said four of those injured in this morning's aircraft crash at Cork Airport are in a serious condition.

Six passengers have already been confirmed as dead. The remaining two injured passengers are described as being in a comfortable condition.

A casualty information bureau has been set up at the airport with staff operating a helpline on +353 (0) 21 4328 820.

Aer Lingus cancelled four flights in and out of Cork after the accident while a number of others have been diverted to Shannon.

Jurgen Whyte, senior inspector with the Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU), said the plane had crashed, inverted and caught fire about 1,000ft down the runway.

He said a team of investigators had been dispatched by helicopter to Cork and a second team was on its way.

The AAIU will examine air traffic control tapes, radar information, weather reports and the condition and operation of the aircraft to establish the cause of the crash.

President Mary McAleese expressed her deep shock and sadness.

A spokeswoman said: “The President said her thoughts and prayers, and those of all the people of Ireland, are with the families of the deceased and the survivors at this very difficult time.”

Micheal Martin, Fianna Fail leader, extended his sympathies to the families of the dead and injured.

“I am greatly saddened to learn of the tragic accident in Cork airport,” Mr Martin said.

“My thoughts and prayers are with those who have sadly lost their lives or have incurred injury.

“I want also to commend the emergency services for their work and commitment.”

Northern Ireland Secretary of State Owen Paterson said: ``This is a terrible tragedy.

“I offer my profound condolences and sympathy to the families and friends of those killed and injured.

“I have spoken to our Ambassador in Dublin who is on his way to Cork and who will be working closely with the Irish authorities.”

He said a special phone line has been opened by the British Embassy in Dublin on 00353 1 205 3780.

Chief executive of Belfast City Airport Brian Ambrose said the passenger details from the ill-fated flight had been passed to police.

Mr Ambrose said the airport had been contacted by a number of people who were concerned for friends or relatives.

He added: “At the minute we have to emphasise that this is a tragic set of circumstances. A number of people have lost their lives and the families who have been affected are our priority.”

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/six-dead-four-seriously-injured-in-cork-air-crash-492937.html#ixzz1DYxq3Zoi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Good video of ES arriving and leaving airport.

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/0210/media-2903702.html#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

very sad alright. Thoughts go out to the families.

Hearing that the ES, airport brigades and gardai responded very professionally to very tough incident.well done lads, and all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

RIP.

On another note its amazing (and sickening) how quickly the media starts to attribute blame, Sky News in particular. We live in an age of trial by media :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

I saw the emergency people realise their training this morning at the airport... brilliant and well done!

A very sad day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

Emergency Plan well executed, good work to all involved. Condolences to families of the deceased and speedy recovery to the injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Terrible tradegy. Thoughts are with the family and friends of those killed. Hopefully those that survived will make a full recovery.

Job clearly very well done by all the ES involved.

RIP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Terrible tragedy for those who died. RIP.
    To take half the people on board that airplane out alive after what it must have gone through is a testament to the emergency services' quick, effective action. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

This is probably the first incident of its kind since 1968. Feel both very sad but comforted by the fact that the response was incredibly well co-ordinated and executed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

It was a hard day for every member of the emergency services! They have done well and deserve the greatest respect for their hard work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I hope those ES personnel who were at scene will take advantage of all the support services on offer.

Extremely traumatic experience for everyone involved and by all accounts, a first class job done by all concerned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The Major Emergency Plan worked perfectly. Considering the criticism that PS workers and the HSE usually gets, this shows that when lives are on the line, they get it right.
    HSE ambulances were on scene within a minute of the plan being implemented. The decision to locate the HSE ambulance control at the magic roundabout proved to be a win.

Getting 50% of casualties off a commercial aircraft alive after impact with ground is nothing short of a miracle, thanks in no small part to the actions of the Emergency services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

First of all I want to express my sympathy to the friends and families of those who died.

On the other hand it indeed looks like all training and planning has paid off big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Though with the family's of lost ones tonight.

Well done to the ES and Airport fire crew. Great to see all the ES working so close to getter watching the clips on RTÉ it looks like an extremely well oil machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

In the last 30 years there have been 15 fatal crashes involving this same type of aircraft. 1980 Nebraska 12 fatalities 1987 Utah 10 fatalities 1987 Idaho 3 fatalities 1988 Colarado 17 fatalities 1988 Mulhern Germany 21 fatalities 1988 North Carolina 12 fatalities 1991 California 12 fatalities 1998 Montreal 11 fatalities 1998 Barcelona 2 fatalities 2001 Shamattawa Canada 3 fatalities 2002 Mallorca Spain 2 fatalities 2002 Aberdeen Scotland 2 fatalities 2005 Queensland Australia 15 fatalities 2005 Stratford New Zealand2 fatalities 2011 Cork Ireland 6 fatalities not a very good safety record is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

barney4001 wrote: »
    In the last 30 years there have been 15 fatal crashes involving this same type of aircraft. 1980 Nebraska 12 fatalities 1987 Utah 10 fatalities 1987 Idaho 3 fatalities 1988 Colarado 17 fatalities 1988 Mulhern Germany 21 fatalities 1988 North Carolina 12 fatalities 1991 California 12 fatalities 1998 Montreal 11 fatalities 1998 Barcelona 2 fatalities 2001 Shamattawa Canada 3 fatalities 2002 Mallorca Spain 2 fatalities 2002 Aberdeen Scotland 2 fatalities 2005 Queensland Australia 15 fatalities 2005 Stratford New Zealand2 fatalities 2011 Cork Ireland 6 fatalities not a very good safety record is it

How many flight hours has the type? How many were built?
    Impossible to suggest it has a poor safety record based on casualties alone. For example concorde had a fantastic safety record, until it suffered a single crash that caused the type to be taken out of service.
    Numerous 747's have crashed or fallen out of the sky, causing thousands of deaths on the ground and in the air, however this wouldnt be a type to be considered to have a poor safety record.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Also to be taken into account is that these types of smaller aircraft often operate in & out of much smaller airports in mountainous terrain and remote areas which may not be as well equipped to deal with accidents as larger ones like Cork for example.

The contingency plans appeared to work very well with the airport services and the city and county services all proving they are well up to the job.

Out of curiosity what medical personnel are stationed at the airport? Or can someone give a breakdown of all the rescue services stationed at an airport like cork? I see several airport fire tenders, can all these be manned & on location inside the required 3 minutes?

Advertisement