Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC blocking random sites?

• 10-02-2011 2:28pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone on UPC see if they can access this site:

www.soulrevolver.com

It's a UK company that sells leather jackets. I've been trying to access it for several days without any luck. The weird thing is I can access it perfectly from my phone (using the phone network) and from my college wifi network. I've tried using OpenDNS with no success as well.

Any thoughts on why this site isn't working on UPC? Has anyone found other sites like this? Could this just be a routing issue?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Working fine for me and I have UPC. I'm using google dns servers and my own router so maybe that has something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

For what its worth it works fine for me on UPC in south Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Cheers, guys.

That's really strange. So why might it not be working for me?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Cheers, guys.

That's really strange. So why might it not be working for me?

Screwed up local DNS cache maybe? Try ipconfig /flushdns to clear it and then try in a fresh browser session.

/also works for me on UPC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That was one of the first things I did. Nada. It's the same with every device in the house.

My only other thought is that my current IP address is being blocked/blacklisted somewhere along the way. I'm going to try leaving the router off for as long as possible and see if I can get a new IP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Maybe try doing a tracert and see where it is getting stopped.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That was one of the first things I did. Nada. It's the same with every device in the house.

My only other thought is that my current IP address is being blocked/blacklisted somewhere along the way. I'm going to try leaving the router off for as long as possible and see if I can get a new IP.

Could always check your DNS response. I'm getting 109.104.70.250 from Google's public DNS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Not working for me, Dublin North, upc.

I tried leaving the router off for 20 minutes but the IP is still the same.
    Spear wrote: »
    Could always check your DNS response. I'm getting 109.104.70.250 from Google's public DNS.
    I'm getting the same using UPC's DNS server.
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    Not working for me, Dublin North, upc.
    Interesting. At least I'm not the only one. I'm Dublin West btw.
    Maybe try doing a tracert and see where it is getting stopped.
    It's getting no further than:

50g-portchannel-ldc4.core.webfusion.com (109.104.95.74)

I tried leaving the router off for 20 minutes but the IP is still the same.

I'm getting the same using UPC's DNS server.

Interesting. At least I'm not the only one. I'm Dublin West btw.

It's getting no further than:

50g-portchannel-ldc4.core.webfusion.com (109.104.95.74)

That's weird. The exact same thing happens to me yet I can still access the website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I'm in Dublin City Centre and it worked for me just now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Nope, just times out for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

in Navan and its working okay for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

West Dublin on UPC and the connection just times out,using Google DNS too.

That's weird. The exact same thing happens to me yet I can still access the website.

Not weird at all, no-one's obliged to respond to ICMP requests like that, and many won't for security reasons.

Spear wrote: »
    Not weird at all, no-one's obliged to respond to ICMP requests like that, and many won't for security reasons.

Never knew that. Thanks for the info.

This must be a UPC problem, so. Strange that it's only affecting some users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

UPC and cant connect, using opendns

its likely to either be a routing issue somewhere or a blocklisted range of IP's.

best thing to do is to contact UPC for support and see what they can do to fix it. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

North Dublin & working fine for me.
    Re turning off modem for 20 mins. My UPC Ip has never changed.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

Im in North Dublin(Finglas) and its working fine for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Hey sorry to resurrect this thread, trying to get on http://www.g2play.net/store/ for a while with no success, have tried in my mates who is also with UPC and lives in the same area as me and has the same problem. I got it to work via proxy or phone network, but no joy with UPC.

Can anyone on UPC access the site?

It's okay for me. I still can't access Soul Revolver though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

It's okay for me. I still can't access Soul Revolver though.

I can get on soul revolver no problem. Wanna swap :pac:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

both are fine for me, I am also on UPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

As it happens, I can't reach soulrevolver.com here either.

The best method you have to check where the problem is is to open a command prompt and traceroute to the site you're trying to reach.

This goes for any sites you ever have problems accessing.
    traceroute www.soulrevolver.com
    traceroute to soulrevolver.com (109.104.70.250), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets
     1  * * *
     2  109.255.253.190 (109.255.253.190)  12.310 ms  16.737 ms  30.204 ms
     3  84.116.239.2 (84.116.239.2)  26.136 ms  64.243 ms  71.426 ms
     4  84.116.238.42 (84.116.238.42)  46.082 ms  48.027 ms  120.282 ms
     5  84-116-130-241.aorta.net (84.116.130.241)  47.664 ms
        84.116.134.130 (84.116.134.130)  52.643 ms
        84-116-130-241.aorta.net (84.116.130.241)  25.185 ms
     6  84.116.132.66 (84.116.132.66)  29.602 ms  22.834 ms
        84.116.132.70 (84.116.132.70)  65.266 ms
     7  te2-2-1.ar6.lon3.gblx.net (64.212.107.13)  23.062 ms  41.027 ms  22.507 ms
     8  ae3-20G.scr3.LON3.gblx.net (67.17.73.94)  67.944 ms  56.055 ms  24.244 ms
     9  lag1.ar9.LON3.gblx.net (67.17.72.21)  57.551 ms  39.196 ms  40.982 ms
    10  WEBFUSION-LTD.TenGigabitEthernet14-1.ar9.LON3.gblx.net (208.178.246.254)  75.797 ms  24.306 ms  25.744 ms
    11  tn5-ldc5.core.webfusion.com (109.104.95.114)  33.738 ms  40.779 ms  37.659 ms
    12  ldc5-ldc4.core.webfusion.com (109.104.95.85)  27.551 ms  30.210 ms  34.445 ms
    13  * * *
    14  * * *
    15  * * *

In windows the command is tracert instead of traceroute. The principle is the same though.

In the traceroute above, it leaves the UPC network between hop 6 and hop 7, where it crosses from aorta.net (aka UPC's core european network) to gblx.net (aka Global Crossing, a transit provider) and then on to webfusion which is presumably SoulRevolver.com's hosting company. So we can see that the reason you can't reach soulrevolver.com is almost certainly caused by either soulrevolver.com or webfusion's network. Whether this is due to a fault or a conscious decision is another matter. If the traceroute started to time out before hop 6, then it would more than likely be a problem inside UPC's network and for them to sort out.

If it's a problem for you, fire off an email to UPC support and they may be inclined to contact webfusion and sort out where the problem lies... or they may just politely tell you that it's outside their network and hence outside their control - which is perfectly true.

You could also try contacting soulrevolver or webfusion, but since you're not a customer of theirs they may be less likely to pay you much attention.

Either way, if you're going to contact someone, you're going to get a lot further if you can provide all the information that you can reasonably get and be polite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭mollser

Has anyone resolved this problem?

I can't access the soul revolver site, but more importantly I can't access the MS Outlook web server for my work emails. i.e. the website is mail.COMPANYNAME.ie.

It worked no problem up to a couple of months ago, but nothing now :( Seems to be the same problem, it times out on step 7 above...

Do you mean the step 7 in Moriarty's trace? If so that's an issue at Global Crossing. You could try raise a ticket with them, or badger UPC to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

maybe its the fashion police?

• Advertisement

mollser wrote: »
    Has anyone resolved this problem?

I can't access the soul revolver site
    it's working fine for me this morning. http://www.soulrevolver.com/

Advertisement