Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Repeater??

Options
  • 10-02-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

I've read a lot of articles on this all over the net. Some recommend using a third-party firmware in my router.. Others go over steps of linking the two routers by means of an ethernet cable, which I'm unable to do.

I recently moved house and the place I'm living has no internet. My neighbor, however, has a wireless network set up in his house and he lets us use it. It is secured, but we have the password for it, unfortunately there is only one place in the house close enough to his house to actually connect to this network, and my computer isn't in that place. I'd like to use my Linksys Linksys WRT54G-TM router, which I used in my old house, to repeat that signal.

Does anyone know any way I can connect to a secured wireless network using a router, then connect it wireless to my laptop? Like I said I have the SSID and password for the wireless network, so that's not an issue, I just don't know how I'd go about connecting to it.
    If I flash my Linksys WRT54G-TM with DD-WRT will it repeat the signal?

Thanks in advance for any help, I don't know when I'll be able to get back on to check this but hopefully I get some help soon, I hate not having reliable internet.

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

Yes, you will be able to use you WRT-54G router as a wireless repeater with dd-wrt installed,

You might also be able to use the built-in frmware if you friend enables WDS (wireless distrubution system) on his router and you pair yours with his, bearing in mind that wds is often incompatible between different brands of router, and some times between different models of the same brand,

If you want to go down the dd-wrt road you wont have to chnage you friends router settings and it will definately work if you are within range of his house,

Read this post in full before you attempt to install dd-wrt if you don't want to brick your router:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

Then update the firmware based on the wiki instructions:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation

Then once you have it installed successfully follows these instructions to set it up as a wireless repeater:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater

Usine this method you will have your own unique sub-network that can access your friends network through NAT and then the internet using NAT on your friends router, follow the wiki and you should be ok

Advertisement