Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flour Question ??

Options
  • 10-02-2011 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey everyone,

This is my first attempt at making banana loaf and I already messed up when I was in the shop- got the wrong type of flour! Here is the recipe that I'm going by: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9960/banana-breakfast-loaf

I got strong white flour instead of plain flour by accident, any idea if I can still make the banana loaf with the strong white, or if I have to go back and get the plain? Obviously instructions are instructions but can I compromise in this case??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

odetojoy wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

This is my first attempt at making banana loaf and I already messed up when I was in the shop- got the wrong type of flour! Here is the recipe that I'm going by: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9960/banana-breakfast-loaf

I got strong white flour instead of plain flour by accident, any idea if I can still make the banana loaf with the strong white, or if I have to go back and get the plain? Obviously instructions are instructions but can I compromise in this case??

Thanks

It should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Your cake will be fine.

The difference between strong white flour and plain flour is that strong white flour has a higher gluten (wheat protein) content. This helps make dough elasticy and therefore is used in baking bread and dough.

Plain flour has a lower gluten content and is therefore more suitable for cakes, which you want to have a crumbly texture.

However using flour with a high gluten content will do your banana bread no harm!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

odetojoy wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Thanks

Will be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

I've used the strong flour when I've run out of ordinary plain flour in a few things and it was grand. I would be disinclined to use it the other way around though (plain instead of strong) as dough recipes need the extra gluten. You've got me thinking bout banana bread now - I haven't made it in a while :)

Advertisement