Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spoilers - Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva - This Saturday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Clooney1

Even Lesnar would destroy him at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just got around to watching Fedor and Andrei fights. WOW some start to the tournament! Fedor looked strange in that fight, kinda felt sorry for him at the end announcing possible retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Clooney1

I'd say he knew when Dana came offering that 5 million that he wasn't able to keep up with the UFC top HWs at that stage. It's a real shame he didn't go sooner. I can't help but feel his legacy is somewhat tarnished considering he never fought current UFC champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Jayo_M wrote: »
    But they didn't. He wanted co-promotion, and UFC (rightly, in my opinion) would never agree to that with a company the size of M-1.

Notice I said he not M1 Global. He was offered the biggest guaranteed contract in UFC which is incredible for a non-draw fighter.

Congrats Fedor you severely damaged your legacy and lost out on $10-15 million due to your terrible management and to impress impress fickle Sherdoggers.

History wont remember him kindly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

drayme wrote: »
    Notice I said he not M1 Global. He was offered the biggest guaranteed contract in UFC which is incredible for a non-draw fighter.

Congrats Fedor you severely damaged your legacy and lost out on $10-15 million due to your terrible management and to impress impress fickle Sherdoggers.

History wont remember him kindly.
    Yeah what a coward eh???:rolleyes::rolleyes: Imagine chosing to fight in front of millions of people and not doing it in the ufc. The fact that he partly owns M-1 IIRC surely won't add to his purse anyway.

It's not as if every real fighter out there wanted to test himself againt him.

Imo after his last fight he lost the hunger, fought in this to see if he could regain it, relised he couldn't and retired. If memory serves Ali retired after two losses so don't think Fedor's in too bad company.

Im not saying he was a coward he just took bad advice and damaged his career. But I will also say that the UFC side thought during the negotiations despite offering him and M1 that contract and percentage of the PPV they felt M1 had no intention on signing a deal understand any circumstances.

Technically Fedor isnt fighting in front of millions his last fight only did 412,000 viewers but I digress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Im not saying he was a coward he just took bad advice and damaged his career. But I will also say that the UFC side thought during the negotiations despite offering him and M1 that contract and percentage of the PPV they felt M1 had no intention on signing a deal understand any circumstances.

Technically Fedor isnt fighting in front of millions his last fight only did 412,000 viewers but I digress.
    What countries are those buy rates in? does it include asia? does it include the official stream?? how about illegal ones?

It was just a joke on how relatively small of a platform Strikeforce is domestically.

Ill just end repeating myself here if I hang around longer. Just that there is numerous ways the story of Fedor can written thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I'm kind of surprised at comments like his legacy has been tarnished or history won't remember him kindly because of not fighting in UFC. The vast majority of fighters of this and the last generation always give Fedor's name when asked about who they think the greatest fighter is. He'll definitely go down as one of, if not the, greatest fighter in history and as long as other fighters keep referencing him, then his legacy will remain intact.

Most people with a knowledge of the history of the sport would name Igor Vovchanchyn as one of the greatest of all time, even though his prime was during the dark days of the sport in the mid-to-late nineties, never competing in UFC and in the twilight of his career when MMA became mainstream in Japan. As long as fighters remember Fedor as he was in his absolute prime, steamrolling through the best heavyweight division in the history of the sport, then Fedor's legacy will be just fine.

Besides all that, who really thinks Fedor gives two ****s about his legacy? He doesn't exactly compete for the fame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Knew we couldn't go a thread without fedor should have gone to the ufc chat etc :mad:

Anyway great event over all , fair call on Fedor his eye was mess.

Got my double on Silva and Sergi so I'm a few € better off :)

Arlovski is surely done now? thats 4 losses by KO in a row now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Everyone's time comes.

That's it there. Everyone has to retire at some stage. It just so happens most MMA fans only got into the sport over the last few years so in their minds Fedor hasn't proved himself because he isn't at his peak right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Fedor weighed in at 230 and he'd have weighed about the same in the fight. Bigfoot weighed in at 264 and was about 285 come the fight.

55lbs is a ridiculous weight difference when the guys you are fighting are legit, skilled opponents, not freaks or novelty acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Stuffy wrote: »
    He would have mauled Werdum imo but he got caught and made a mistake, tonight he was just overpowered really and maybe it is time to retire.

Your lack of knowledge of MMA is shining through when you say he got rocked by Rogers, so what? Silva got rocked by Sonnen, Lesnar by Carwin, Cain was rocked by Cheick Kongo, what is your point? Anyone can get rocked.

Even though I'm not a fan of M1, I'm glad Fedor didn't bow to the hands of Dana White, he didn't need to go to the UFC.

Silva is the greatest fighter imo at the moment but his disrespect at times is sickening, most notably Damian Maia.

Fedor was the full package, the epitomy of what every Mixed Martial Artist should aspire to. The guy oozed skill, class and elegance.

Ha my lack of knowledge, are you doing a masters in MMA yourself?

Nobody was asking him to bow to Dana White. People wanted to see him fight the best. Like Dana says, when was the last ftime he fought someone decent? 05 or 06. It says a lot when people are trying to justify who he fought and the word "Sylvia" pops up!

"disprespecting" Damien Maia? Maia had a golden opportunity and he wouldnt take it. What do I, a FAN, care about respect? In a sport where you can kick someone in the face and KO them, what would a fan really care about respect? But thats another argumant.

Did Fedor ooze skill and class when M1 were playing him like a puppet for money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Nothing against the man, but anyone trying to claim that his standard of opponent hasn't suffered for not going to the UFC is just either completely biased or just delusional.

The same Tim Sylva that had been thoroughly exposed by Couture? A shot, glass jawed Arlovski? Brett Rogers?? Even Werdum who beat him didn't quite cut it in the UFC. Come off it.

On a more general note, does anyone else find watching Strikeforce just, I don't know, annoying? Mauro Ranalo is annoying, Gus Johnson is annoying, their stupid graphics are annoying, that way they introduced all the fighters at the start was annoying, their stupid video game thing is annoying....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Stuffy

Gerard.C wrote: »

Nobody was asking him to bow to Dana White. People wanted to see him fight the best. Like Dana says, when was the last ftime he fought someone decent? 05 or 06. It says a lot when people are trying to justify who he fought and the word "Sylvia" pops up!

"disprespecting" Damien Maia? Maia had a golden opportunity and he wouldnt take it. What do I, a FAN, care about respect? In a sport where you can kick someone in the face and KO them, what would a fan really care about respect? But thats another argumant.

Did Fedor ooze skill and class when M1 were playing him like a puppet for money?

No I'm not doing a masters in MMA but the fact you are implying that you can't have respect in MMA because you compete against people says it all really, you haven't a clue.

I don't really understand where you are going, I'm stating that by not going to UFC Fedor did no harm to his reputation as a legend in MMA. Why should he have gone to UFC? If people wanted to fight him so bad they could have left UFC, as Randy wanted to do. The guy fought anyone who was available and willing to fight him.

No disrespect to anyone but people who suggest he ducked fighters and what not are probably UFC/Dana White fanboys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Stuffy

seadnamac wrote: »
    Nothing against the man, but anyone trying to claim that his standard of opponent hasn't suffered for not going to the UFC is just either completely biased or just delusional.

I don't think anyone has, the issue is with people suggesting he was ducking fighters by not going there.

He fought whoever was available and wanted to fight him, you cannot ask anymore of the guy.

I don't really care about the promotion as long as they put on exciting cards like they have been consistently doing for the last year or more, what more do you want?

Stuffy wrote: »
    No I'm not doing a masters in MMA but the fact you are implying that you can't have respect in MMA because you compete against people says it all really, you haven't a clue.

I don't really understand where you are going, I'm stating that by not going to UFC Fedor did no harm to his reputation as a legend in MMA. Why should he have gone to UFC? If people wanted to fight him so bad they could have left UFC, as Randy wanted to do. The guy fought anyone who was available and willing to fight him.

No disrespect to anyone but people who suggest he ducked fighters and what not are probably UFC/Dana White fanboys.

Thats not what I was implying. I dont live and breath MMA. I dont train. I'm a fan. I'm not going around in a tapout t-shirt talking about respect as if I've been up to my eyes in MMA my whole life. I havent. I do, however, have a clue, contrary to your slightly pathetic judgement.

You can call them UFC fanboys, I'd call them MMA fan boys. Fedor was given the chance to fight the best. Instead he fought Tim Sylvia and Hong Man Choi.

I've respect for what he did in pride and that, but what has happened since then? He has done his best to turn his sport into a buisness. Some people would say fair play to him for that. I dont care quite frankly. As a fan I'm only concerned with what goes on in the cage, and lets face it, Fedor hasnt been up to much in the cage in years and years.

Thats not what I was implying. I dont live and breath MMA. I dont train. I'm a fan. I'm not going around in a tapout t-shirt talking about respect as if I've been up to my eyes in MMA my whole life. I havent. I do, however, have a clue, contrary to your slightly pathetic judgement.

You can call them UFC fanboys, I'd call them MMA fan boys. Fedor was given the chance to fight the best. Instead he fought Tim Sylvia and Hong Man Choi.

I've respect for what he did in pride and that, but what has happened since then? He has done his best to turn his sport into a buisness. Some people would say fair play to him for that. I dont care quite frankly. As a fan I'm only concerned with what goes on in the cage, and lets face it, Fedor hasnt been up to much in the cage in years and years.

Okay, maybe you weren't 'around' the sport at the time, but when he fought Fedor, Sylvia was one of the best in the world. Why can't you understand that? When he fought Arlovski, Arlovski was #2 in the world. This is the same Arlovski who beat the snot (and finished) Roy Nelson who only recently fought for a #1 contender spot. When he fought Rogers, Rogers was seen as a top 10 along the same lines as Carwin. He signed up to fight Couture and a definite top 5 in Barnett. It wasn't his fault these fights fell through.

Who are these ultra-talents he could have fought in UFC? Big Nog again? Mir? Vera? Or maybe these supposed 'new breeds' in Carwin, who can't go more than 5 minutes, or Lesnar who got dismantled by a guy very similar physically to Fedor? Cain and JDS have only really come to the fore in the past year or so, so they can't be used in an argument of the top talent being the UFC between 2006-2009.

When looking at Fedor's record, you can't judge his opponents on where they are now in their careers, only where they were then. That's the only thing thats relevant. Outside of Lindland (who I don't think was the original planned opponent - I believe they were trying to get Couture to take the fight) and HMC, its silly to try and argue that the guys Fedor faced weren't top fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Because a lot of " FANS " are practitioners themselves of a martial art and understand the respect aspect of it ?

• Advertisement

By the way, as for the rest of the card -

What a great event. Some nice finishes and impressive performances from Griggs, SDR, Sergei and Bigfoot and a nice way for Valentijn to try get back on track. I thought the Sergei/AA fight was great while it lasted, you were just waiting for something to land. Sergei looked back to his old self, noticeably slower than he was when he first broke onto the scene, but still very dangerous. Should do his confidence the world of good. I don't know what Arlovski going to do now. He looked good until he backed up with his hands down (again). Maybe a drop in standard of competition is the way forward for him to rebuild his confidence.

For a guy who was brought in just to lose to Lashley, Griggs really has taken the break he's been given with two hands. I liked Villante in the fight, but Griggs made it a brawl and looked good. I was impressed with Lavar Johnson even in losing. I thought he'd be steamrolled by Del Rosario, but he was more than a match standing. But once it went to the ground, Del Rosario showed he's much more than 'just' a muay thai guy.

Strikeforce can't seem to put on a bad fight these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

just got to see the fight there now. silva gave him some pounding in that second round. even in the first he landed some big shots

edit: seen all the bouts now - great card

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Outstanding performance by both men.

The extra size of Bigfoot helped him secure the win. Fedor did very well from underneath a giant man who outweighed him by so much.

To achieve what he has achieved, being such a relatively small heavyweight, is truly something else. We'll probably never see another fighter like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

That's it there. Everyone has to retire at some stage. It just so happens most MMA fans only got into the sport over the last few years so in their minds Fedor hasn't proved himself because he isn't at his peak right now.

Exactly a few years from now if Anderson Silva loses a couple of fights at the end of his career you'll get the same idiots asking if he was really all that good and if he can handle the new super breed of middleweights.

By that time the people he beat like Chris Leben, Thales Leites, Patrick Côté might be seen as a joke if there losing fights left right and center like Tim Silvia and Andrei Arlovski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Would have loved Ray and Valentijn's match to have gone longer, Ray still has hands to rival or surpass the best in the game.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Because a lot of " FANS " are practitioners themselves of a martial art and understand the respect aspect of it ?

A lot more arent practitioners I would imagine, though this forum seems to have more who are, and thats why people like myself get attacked for not repsecting the sport when I voice my opinion as a fan. An opinion that isnt out of this world either in fairness.

• Advertisement

Okay, maybe you weren't 'around' the sport at the time, but when he fought Fedor, Sylvia was one of the best in the world. Why can't you understand that? When he fought Arlovski, Arlovski was #2 in the world. This is the same Arlovski who beat the snot (and finished) Roy Nelson who only recently fought for a #1 contender spot. When he fought Rogers, Rogers was seen as a top 10 along the same lines as Carwin. He signed up to fight Couture and a definite top 5 in Barnett. It wasn't his fault these fights fell through.

Who are these ultra-talents he could have fought in UFC? Big Nog again? Mir? Vera? Or maybe these supposed 'new breeds' in Carwin, who can't go more than 5 minutes, or Lesnar who got dismantled by a guy very similar physically to Fedor? Cain and JDS have only really come to the fore in the past year or so, so they can't be used in an argument of the top talent being the UFC between 2006-2009.

When looking at Fedor's record, you can't judge his opponents on where they are now in their careers, only where they were then. That's the only thing thats relevant. Outside of Lindland (who I don't think was the original planned opponent - I believe they were trying to get Couture to take the fight) and HMC, its silly to try and argue that the guys Fedor faced weren't top fighters.

I was "around", ya. Its very easy to think that all mma fans only started watching when BROCK arrived on the scene or whatever isnt it? Beating Sylvia isnt that much of an achievement, face it. Arlovski too. They were past it when they fought him, they got the fights on name-value, not skill, I would imagine.

There were more "ultra talents" as you put it in the UFC than there was in Affliction anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

stop your trolling no one cares what you think

They weren't past it though, thats the point! They were top ranked opponents. Arlovski wasn't cut from UFC, he left. Sylvia had only lost to Nog and Couture in his previous 9 fights in the UFC! Saying they were past it is just pure bull****. Plain and simple.

So, who in the UFC was he ducking then?

Edit: To make it easy for you, here's the Sherdog top 10 the month prior to Fedor's bout with Sylvia.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/2/Sherdog-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-13325

Looking at it, you'll see at that time only 3 of the Top 10 were in UFC at the time - Big Nog, Gonzaga and Werdum.

stop your trolling no one cares what you think

How is not agreeing with everyone here trolling?

People wouldnt reply if they didnt care, foolish statement.

They weren't past it though, thats the point! They were top ranked opponents. Arlovski wasn't cut from UFC, he left. Sylvia had only lost to Nog and Couture in his previous 9 fights in the UFC! Saying they were past it is just pure bull****. Plain and simple.

So, who in the UFC was he ducking then?

Edit: To make it easy for you, here's the Sherdog top 10 the month prior to Fedor's bout with Sylvia.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/2/Sherdog-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-13325

Looking at it, you'll see at that time only 3 of the Top 10 were in UFC at the time - Big Nog, Gonzaga and Werdum.

Maybe he was afraid the pride curse that happened to Cro Cop would happen him, and he would be found out in the UFC. I know he wouldnt have been "in his prime", technically. Can you honestly say Couture was in his "prime" against Sylvia though? He took him apart. Couture is still going strong!

I never said he was "ducking" anyone, I dont think I used the word ducking once actually. He could have cemented his legacy by going to the UFC. He chose not to, now his career has ended horribly for him in fairness, and now we will never know what could have been. All because of his management.

• Advertisement

Great performance from Bigfoot. He won the striking, the wrestling and the ground game, and did so very impressively, making Fedor look like a can along the way. We all know Fedor is no can, so that in itself is a testament to how well Bigfoot is doing.

AA, I realy feel for the guy. He outstrikes almost everyone he fights (except for Bigfoot) but sooner or later his glass jaw undoes him over and over again.

A few other points and observations:

- Fedor loses 2 fights and suddenly he was never that good? Gimme a F'n break. I do however wonder about him going forward due to the fact that he has clearly lost some of his speed, his relative lack of size, and the questions over his camp/management. Dana White may have been trolling twitter last night but he was correct when he said that Fedor is the most mismanaged fighter ever.

- I hope Brett Rogers gets annihilated after his dumb ass comments on Twitter. Nice to see that the majority of the replies called him on such rubbish.

- I personally think that AA should retire. He's been KOd 7 times now, 4 losses in a row, 3 by KO, and 2 where he was out completely cold and stiff. That just cannot be good for your health.

- Sergei can go very far in this tournament. His footwork was very average last night but he has big power and when he's in the right mindset he's going to be a beast. The rubber match with Ubereem would be intriguing.

- I hope Werdum wins the tournament myself.

Maybe he was afraid the pride curse that happened to Cro Cop would happen him, and he would be found out in the UFC. I know he wouldnt have been "in his prime", technically. Can you honestly say Couture was in his "prime" against Sylvia though? He took him apart. Couture is still going strong!

I never said he was "ducking" anyone, I dont think I used the word ducking once actually. He could have cemented his legacy by going to the UFC. He chose not to, now his career has ended horribly for him in fairness, and now we will never know what could have been. All because of his management.

Pride curse? Big Nog was UFC's Interim HW champ at that stage. Fedor would have been fine. Anyway, I'm done with this, endless circles!

I'm kind of surprised at comments like his legacy has been tarnished or history won't remember him kindly because of not fighting in UFC. The vast majority of fighters of this and the last generation always give Fedor's name when asked about who they think the greatest fighter is. He'll definitely go down as one of, if not the, greatest fighter in history and as long as other fighters keep referencing him, then his legacy will remain intact.

Most people with a knowledge of the history of the sport would name Igor Vovchanchyn as one of the greatest of all time, even though his prime was during the dark days of the sport in the mid-to-late nineties, never competing in UFC and in the twilight of his career when MMA became mainstream in Japan. As long as fighters remember Fedor as he was in his absolute prime, steamrolling through the best heavyweight division in the history of the sport, then Fedor's legacy will be just fine.

Who is to say Fedor won’t be the Igor of his generation? He has terrible management which will no doubt botch handling his post-fight career, Zuffa owns the Pride video library, he is outside of the Zuffa family etc. People will question a lot things. From his fight record , his era of dominance taking place in an era of substandard Heavyweights compared to the bigger, more skilled HWs we have now and his business associations.

He won’t be viewed the same way Randy is by the casual fan due to the choices he made and think about that given their respective records. He should have gone to UFC, M-1 squandered Fedor.

Besides all that, who really thinks Fedor gives two ****s about his legacy? He doesn't exactly compete for the fame.

Of course Fedor cares about his legacy look how he marketed himself, check out that documentary M1 put out a few years, listen to overdubbed M1 commentary for his fight with Arlovski etc. His legacy is also influenced by his religious beliefs too.

- Fedor loses 2 fights and suddenly he was never that good?.

Quite the strawman here.

Just in closing I just think whether by his own doing, marketing, him not speaking English, his unique personality, fan perception or whatever his undefeated record was too much a part of his legacy. Pretty much mirroring the business structure of M1. So when Fedor lost we had somewhat a house of cards effect.

Who is to say Fedor won’t be the Igor of his generation?

And whats wrong with that? Anyone with an opinion worth listening to knows Igor is one of the all-time greats. Just because he's not in some meaningless hall of fame doesn't mean he isn't.

Bigger, more skilled? The number one right now is Cain, he's hardly a giant. He is very well rounded, as in he's got pretty good boxing and great wrestling. JDS isn't that big, and has only shown he has good stand up really. Who else is there that are such a better standard than the Pride HWs in their prime? Bigfoot is big and well rounded, but also got beat by Werdum - but Werdum was also part of this supposed era of substandard heavyweights.

Who else? Lesnar?

Pride curse? Big Nog was UFC's Interim HW champ at that stage. Fedor would have been fine. Anyway, I'm done with this, endless circles!

I didnt come up with the term, just sayin.

As for saying Fedor would have been fine, we'll never know...

I didnt come up with the term, just sayin.

As for saying Fedor would have been fine, we'll never know...

I know, but you said he'd have been put off of going to the UFC because of it - even though a guy he went beat twice convincingly was at the top of their division.

And whats wrong with that? Anyone with an opinion worth listening to knows Igor is one of the all-time greats. Just because he's not in some meaningless hall of fame doesn't mean he isn't.

Fedor isnt a person who should be marginlised like Igor or Frank Shamrock (just chose him as he is mainly written out of UFC history)
    Bigger, more skilled? The number one right now is Cain, he's hardly a giant. He is very well rounded, as in he's got pretty good boxing and great wrestling. JDS isn't that big, and has only shown he has good stand up really. Who else is there that are such a better standard than the Pride HWs in their prime? Bigfoot is big and well rounded, but also got beat by Werdum - but Werdum was also part of this supposed era of substandard heavyweights.

Who else? Lesnar?

For everyone Nog and Cro Crop in Pride you had a number of Zulus and Goodridges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I know all the talk will mostly be about Fedor/Silva but for me, Chad Griggs was just awesome. I kinda wished that fight would go for the whole 3 rounds. Punches back and forth. Brilliant fight to watch.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I know all the talk will mostly be about Fedor/Silva but for me, Chad Griggs was just awesome. I kinda wished that fight would go for the whole 3 rounds. Punches back and forth. Brilliant fight to watch.

Great fight to watch but I wouldn't call him awesome. When you put a relatively unskilled nobody in against an even more relatively unskilled nobody you can get a great fight but doesn't make them good fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

great card and no shortage of excitement

i saw yesterday on pp that bigfoot was 11/4 to beat fedor and am
    sorry i didn't have a punt on him
    it wasn't that i was confident of him beating fedor but no way
    should he have been that big a price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Funny how this is the only forum where discussions turn into i know more than you about MMA:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Even Werdum who beat him didn't quite cut it in the UFC. Come off it.
    Your post's already been proven to be choc-a-bloc full of waffle, but this is the part that really annoys me that everyone brings up.. 'Werdum couldn't make it in the UFC' 'Werdum wasn't good enough for the UFC'
    His only notable losses, are against top 3 guys in the world, JDS, Big Nog and AA..
    Werdum is one of the top HWs in the world, and just because he's not in the UFC, people count him out, Strikeforce's HW division is much better quality than the UFC's, it just doesn't have the depth. Silva, Fedor, Sergei, Overeem, Werdum, Barnett, Rogers, AA are all in the top 15 imo, and the first 6 I listed should be in the top ten along with Cain, JDS, Brock and (Mir? Couture? Carwin) I can't really think of anyone around their skill level, there's a top 9 imo and Strikeforce have 66% of it..
    A lot more arent practitioners I would imagine, though this forum seems to have more who are, and thats why people like myself get attacked for not repsecting the sport when I voice my opinion as a fan. An opinion that isnt out of this world either in fairness.
    Who cares if you practice or don't practice MMA? Everyone should have respect for others. You need respect in life, I'd imagine you'll find that out soon if you haven't already ;)
    mailburner wrote: »
    great card and no shortage of excitement

i saw yesterday on pp that bigfoot was 11/4 to beat fedor and am
    sorry i didn't have a punt on him
    it wasn't that i was confident of him beating fedor but no way
    should he have been that big a price

I stuck a tenner on him at 4/1 :D

I like to look at MMA the same way I'd look at rugby, Fedor is the Wille John McBride, JPR Williams, etc. and the HWs nowadays are the BODs, the Richie McCaws, etc.
    Soccer terms, Fedor was the George Best of MMA..

Fedor will and should always go down as one of the greatest fighters of all time, no matter how his career ended. As will Anderson Silva, GSP, BJ Penn, Jens Pulver, Evan Tanner, Chuck Liddell, Vitor Belfort, etc.

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Your post's already been proven to be choc-a-bloc full of waffle, but this is the part that really annoys me that everyone brings up.. 'Werdum couldn't make it in the UFC' 'Werdum wasn't good enough for the UFC'
    His only notable losses, are against top 3 guys in the world, JDS, Big Nog and AA..
    Werdum is one of the top HWs in the world, and just because he's not in the UFC, people count him out, Strikeforce's HW division is much better quality than the UFC's, it just doesn't have the depth. Silva, Fedor, Sergei, Overeem, Werdum, Barnett, Rogers, AA are all in the top 15 imo, and the first 6 I listed should be in the top ten along with Cain, JDS, Brock and (Mir? Couture? Carwin) I can't really think of anyone around their skill level, there's a top 9 imo and Strikeforce have 66% of it..

That's the first time anyone has mentioned my post, what are you talking about full of waffle? I stated my opinion on the fighters Fedor fought in the last three or so years and where they were in their careers. Whether you like it or not Werdum had a 2-2 record in the UFC and Zuffa decided he wasn't worth the money they were paying him at the time. So what exactly is so outlandish in saying he didn't quite cut it??

Also I love how people go on about Rogers being a top level fighter. Here's a guy who has done nothing except beat a guy in Arlovski who would be knocked out by his own shadow at this stage and land a few big blows on Fedor. Lesnar has done a hell of a lot more than that and he gets ridiculed.

The amount of snobbery when it comes to MMA is unreal.

That's the first time anyone has mentioned my post, what are you talking about full of waffle? I stated my opinion on the fighters Fedor fought in the last three or so years and where they were in their careers. Whether you like it or not Werdum had a 2-2 record in the UFC and Zuffa decided he wasn't worth the money they were paying him at the time. So what exactly is so outlandish in saying he didn't quite cut it??

Also I love how people go on about Rogers being a top level fighter. Here's a guy who has done nothing except beat a guy in Arlovski who would be knocked out by his own shadow at this stage and land a few big blows on Fedor. Lesnar has done a hell of a lot more than that and he gets ridiculed.

The amount of snobbery when it comes to MMA is unreal.

Being outside the evil UFC gives you at least a +3 in the Top 10 HW rankings it seems. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

A lot of complete rubbish being spoken in this thread and a lot of it isn't worth replying to.

But i wanna make a quick point about people's hating on the UFC HW division vs the Strikeforce HW Division........... the UFC Division is the superior in my opinion! Look at the tournie for instance

Fedor is a top HW, Silva is a Top HW, Overeem too but REALLY needs to prove it against top competition IMO and then what? Kharitanov? Rogers? Arlovski? Please! barnett who hasnt fought anyone in years?

Werdum turned out to be an average fighter in the UFC. he hardly went in and smashed everyone.

If UFC put together an 8 Man HW Tournie tomorrow, the participants would easily be of a higher standard than the Strikeforce tournament.

Ehm, Rogers did just as much in his career as Carwin had done when he got a number one contender fight in UFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ehm, Rogers did just as much in his career as Carwin had done when he got a number one contender fight in UFC.

So you can compare one guy to another guy, so? Doesn't make him a Top Heavyweight though does it?

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Who cares if you practice or don't practice MMA? Everyone should have respect for others. You need respect in life, I'd imagine you'll find that out soon if you haven't already ;)

How philosophical of you. Fedor hasnt done much to earn my respect in the last 5 years. I'm not THAT intense a person, not everything comes down to respect like

So you can compare one guy to another guy, so? Doesn't make him a Top Heavyweight though does it?

It does if you consider Carwin a top heavyweight.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    A lot of complete rubbish being spoken in this thread and a lot of it isn't worth replying to.

But i wanna make a quick point about people's hating on the UFC HW division vs the Strikeforce HW Division........... the UFC Division is the superior in my opinion! Look at the tournie for instance

Fedor is a top HW, Silva is a Top HW, Overeem too but REALLY needs to prove it against top competition IMO and then what? Kharitanov? Rogers? Arlovski? Please! barnett who hasnt fought anyone in years?

Werdum turned out to be an average fighter in the UFC. he hardly went in and smashed everyone.

If UFC put together an 8 Man HW Tournie tomorrow, the participants would easily be of a higher standard than the Strikeforce tournament.

Without a doubt.

Advertisement