Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spoilers - Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva - This Saturday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

seadnamac wrote: »
    That's the first time anyone has mentioned my post, what are you talking about full of waffle? I stated my opinion on the fighters Fedor fought in the last three or so years and where they were in their careers. Whether you like it or not Werdum had a 2-2 record in the UFC and Zuffa decided he wasn't worth the money they were paying him at the time. So what exactly is so outlandish in saying he didn't quite cut it??

Also I love how people go on about Rogers being a top level fighter. Here's a guy who has done nothing except beat a guy in Arlovski who would be knocked out by his own shadow at this stage and land a few big blows on Fedor. Lesnar has done a hell of a lot more than that and he gets ridiculed.

The amount of snobbery when it comes to MMA is unreal.
    Can't remember who but check the thread and you'll find it ;) Sorry, who were the two fighters he lost against? Oh yeah, Arlovski was ranked number 2 or 3 when he beat Werdum and he lost to JDS? Who should've been fighting for the UFC HW belt.. Hardly good reasons to be cut, and from what I've heard, it wasn't that he couldn't cut it, it was a disagreement with the UFC that led to him leaving.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    A lot of complete rubbish being spoken in this thread and a lot of it isn't worth replying to.

But i wanna make a quick point about people's hating on the UFC HW division vs the Strikeforce HW Division........... the UFC Division is the superior in my opinion! Look at the tournie for instance

Fedor is a top HW, Silva is a Top HW, Overeem too but REALLY needs to prove it against top competition IMO and then what? Kharitanov? Rogers? Arlovski? Please! barnett who hasnt fought anyone in years?

Werdum turned out to be an average fighter in the UFC. he hardly went in and smashed everyone.

If UFC put together an 8 Man HW Tournie tomorrow, the participants would easily be of a higher standard than the Strikeforce tournament.
    Mind quoting the 8 men in that tournament that would overall be better than the Strikeforce's?
    drayme wrote: »
    Being outside the evil UFC gives you at least a +3 in the Top 10 HW rankings it seems. :pac:
    What are you talking about, please make a relevant point..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Gerard.C wrote: »
    How philosophical of you. Fedor hasnt done much to earn my respect in the last 5 years. I'm not THAT intense a person, not everything comes down to respect like

Neither has Muhammed Ali, that over rated piece of sh*t! He's been ducking the Klitchkos for years now!

ScareGilly wrote: »

Mind quoting the 8 men in that tournament that would overall be better than the Strikeforce's?

Lesnar, Velasquez, Carwin, JDS, Mir, Nog...... throw Mitrionne and Shaub in there and give them the shots at the top guys they're looking for.

Overall, a much higher level of HW than the Strikeforce tournie.

Without a doubt.
    Mind posting yours then please?
    Lesnar, Velasquez, Carwin, JDS, Mir, Nog...... throw Mitrionne and Shaub in there and give them the shots at the top guys they're looking for.

Lesnar, Velasquez and JDS = Fedor, Overeem and Werdum

Carwin, Mir and Nog = Rogers, AA and Sergei

Mitrione and Schaub < Barnett and Silva

Strikeforce wins imo..

Jayo_M wrote: »
    It does if you consider Carwin a top heavyweight.

Carwin IS a Top Heavyweight, he smashes Rogers all day long IMO!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Neither has Muhammed Ali, that over rated piece of sh*t! He's been ducking the Klitchkos for years now!

I didnt realise he was still actively competing the last 5 years?

Petty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

What are you talking about, please make a relevant point..

It is highly relevant currently :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I disagree. I think Werdum and Bigfoot are a higher level than Mir and Nog, Overeem evens with JDS, Barnett is much more skilled than Lesnar, Rogers is as dangerous as Carwin, Kharitonov and AA are definitely a higher level than Mitrione and Schaub. Oh, and Fedor was in there too. Cain is now definitely number one in my eyes though, taking last night into account.

That's just my opinion though, take it or leave it.

Strikeforce wins imo..

Lesnar > Fedor, Velasquez > Overeem, JDS > Werdum

Carwin > Rogers, Mir > AA, Nog > Sergei

Mitrione = Barnett??, Silva > Shaub

UFC wins by a mile!

Strikeforce wins imo..

:eek:

I would have those top 3 UFC fighters ranked better than those top 3 SF.

Cro Cop now would take Arlovski too I'd say, I wouldnt have AA anywhere near a top 8!

• Advertisement

I didnt realise he was still actively competing the last 5 years?

Petty.

It's not petty at all. I'm no Fedor nut-hugger. But to disregard someone's achievements and say they didnt earn your respect because their career tailed off when they got older is ridiculous.

Ali had the same problem. he got old, too many punches, do people ever say "Nah, Ali was over rated because at the end he couldnt cut it anymore"?? No, they really don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Lesnar, Velasquez and JDS > Fedor, Overeem and Werdum

Carwin, Mir and Nog > Rogers, AA and Sergei

Mitrione and Schaub = Barnett and Silva

Strikeforce wins imo..

Fixed your post as they say.

Carwin IS a Top Heavyweight, he smashes Rogers all day long IMO!
    Both great stand up with little to no ground game, Equal..
    It is highly relevant currently :P
    Mind elaborating then?
    Lesnar < Fedor, Velasquez < Overeem, JDS < Werdum

Carwin < Rogers, Mir < AA, Nog < Sergei

Mitrione = Barnett??, Silva < Shaub

UFC wins by a mile!
    Apparently, you don't think so? :pac:

It's not petty at all. I'm no Fedor nut-hugger. But to disregard someone's achievements and say they didnt earn your respect because their career tailed off when they got older is ridiculous.

Ali had the same problem. he got old, too many punches, do people ever say "Nah, Ali was over rated because at the end he couldnt cut it anymore"?? No, they really don't!

No one was saying Fedor was getting old a year ago.

Whatever about the rest of those picks, I just can't fathom how anyone can put Mitrione over Barnett. I can understand the others (well, not Lesnar over Fedor) but that actually blows my mind.

:eek:

I would have those top 3 UFC fighters ranked better than those top 3 SF.

Cro Cop now would take Arlovski too I'd say, I wouldnt have AA anywhere near a top 8!
    I said AA was a top 15, not top 8..
    Fixed your post as they say.
    No you didn't, Apparently Strikeforce still win? :rolleyes:

Both great stand up with little to no ground game, Equal..

Both great stand up, Carwin with the MUCH superior size, strength and Wrestling. Carwin ALL day long!
    Apparently, you don't think so? :pac:

I made the mistake of paying attention to your mistake and made a mistake myself.............. stupid maths :P

They were, after the Rogers fight. I wasn't one of them, but there were alot of people who said he had lost speed and a bit of awareness on the ground (failed armbar and taking a bit of g'n'p from Rogers), but it seemed like he had made up for it with KO power.

No you didn't, Apparently Strikeforce still win? :rolleyes:

Ouch, you just schooled me on the internet. I feel so humbled.

Er... yes they were. You just werent listening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Stuffy

Brock Lesnar does not beat Fedor any day of the week.

Does not like getting hit, if any bit of pressure was put on him he would back up into the cage and probably be finished in 1 round.

Whatever about the rest of those picks, I just can't fathom how anyone can put Mitrione over Barnett. I can understand the others (well, not Lesnar over Fedor) but that actually blows my mind.

Did anybody do this?

I don't think anybody did??

Did anybody do this?

Sorry, as equal to Barnett.

They were, after the Rogers fight. I wasn't one of them, but there were alot of people who said he had lost speed and a bit of awareness on the ground (failed armbar and taking a bit of g'n'p from Rogers), but it seemed like he had made up for it with KO power.

I equally read the "good auld cerebal Fedor lulling him into a false of security" type posts too.

Seriously he did very little after PRIDE I dont know why people are freaking out.

A true legend in my eyes wouldnt tail off like it has for Fedor. Thats not trolling, before the "you dont know what your talking about" gems are pulled out. Not by you now, but you know the way people get around here ;) Look at Randy Couture, now theres a legend. What age is he? Age cant really be an excuse for Fedor, he must have just gotten old over night or something cos he was te best of all time after he bet Rogers in some peoples eyes. Fedor is only 34 at the end of the day, if you honestly think he is the greatest of all time and is at the end of his career at 34, then I dunno about his legendary status. Anderson Silva is older than him as far as I know

Sorry, as equal to Barnett.

That was me. Barnett has been living off his "Former UFC Champion" moniker for years now. He's failed multiple drug tests and can't even get a licence.

The last top guy he neat was Big Nog 5 years agom who swiftly beat him in the rematch.

Barnett isn't all he's cracked up to be IMO. And they've fed him the easy fight v Rogers with SF... but he'll go no further.

Stuffy wrote: »
    Brock Lesnar does not beat Fedor any day of the week.

Does not like getting hit, if any bit of pressure was put on him he would back up into the cage and probably be finished in 1 round.

Either that or Fedor would get taken down and get his face smashed worst than last night and like Mir, just saying.

I equally read the "good auld cerebal Fedor lulling him into a false of security" type posts too.

Seriously he did very little after PRIDE I dont know why people are freaking out.

Yep, seen that too.

But he did fight guys who were in everyones top 5s or 10s at the time after leaving Pride. I think everyone he fought after Pride, besides HMC and Lindland, were ranked high at the time. That's my only problem with whats being said in this thread to be honest.

• Advertisement

A true legend in my eyes wouldnt tail off like it has for Fedor. Thats not trolling, before the "you dont know what your talking about" gems are pulled out. Not by you now, but you know the way people get around here ;) Look at Randy Couture, now theres a legend. What age is he? Age cant really be an excuse for Fedor, he must have just gotten old over night or something cos he was te best of all time after he bet Rogers in some peoples eyes. Fedor is only 34 at the end of the day, if you honestly think he is the greatest of all time and is at the end of his career at 34, then I dunno about his legendary status. Anderson Silva is older than him as far as I know

But it's not all to do with age! You just made the point yourself, some peoiple like Randy can continue well into their 40s. Some like Silva can reach their peak when other top sportsmen are "old". Footballers are never at the top of their game at 34.

Another point with Fedor is he was never a GSP or a Silva, he didnt dominate every fight he was in. He had some incredible comebacks.

But just because that one guy, Randy Couture (who by the way HAS tailed off too) can still compete at an advanced age, it doesnt take away from the fact that Fedor was beating all of the top HWs in the world when they were all in their prime. he was Pride HW Champ and didn't actually "lose" a fight until his 34th bout..................

How does this not gain your respect?

That was me. Barnett has been living off his "Former UFC Champion" moniker for years now. He's failed multiple drug tests and can't even get a licence.

The last top guy he neat was Big Nog 5 years agom who swiftly beat him in the rematch.

Barnett isn't all he's cracked up to be IMO. And they've fed him the easy fight v Rogers with SF... but he'll go no further.

I just think the guy is still much more skilled than Mitrione, obviously on the ground but standing as well. I do really like Mitirione, serious potential and gets so much better each time he fights, but I just don't think he's on Barnett's level. In saying that though, I don't know what Barnett is like sans steroids :p

Yep, seen that too.

But he did fight guys who were in everyones top 5s or 10s at the time after leaving Pride. I think everyone he fought after Pride, besides HMC and Lindland, were ranked high at the time. That's my only problem with whats being said in this thread to be honest.

Tim Sylvia had just dominated in a UFC HW Title fight in his previous fight before being caught in a choke.

And AA had just beaten Werdum and Jake O'Brien in the UFC before the rubbish happened, and made mince meat of Rothwell and Nelson....... he was definitely up there at the time.

Either that or Fedor would get taken down and get his face smashed worst than last night and like Mir, just saying.

Fedor has better ability to get up off his back than Mir from what I have seen, the sticking point last night was probably the fact that when he tried to go out the back he was getting flattened out by a BJJ black belt and risked getting choked.

Lesnar would need to close the distance to get hold of Fedor and he would probably have to eat a few punches, cue him covering up and rolling around on the floor like a seal out of water.

Fedor has better ability to get up off his back than Mir from what I have seen, the sticking point last night was probably the fact that when he tried to go out the back he was getting flattened out by a BJJ black belt.

Lesnar would need to close the distance to get hold of Fedor and he would probably have to eat a few punches, cue him covering up and rolling around on the floor like a seal out of water.

Too bad we will never find out.

At least UFC and Brock were willing to put that fight on....

Too bad we will never find out.

Despite your big talk and fantasy fights at least UFC and Brock were willing to put that fight on....

Big talk and fantasy fights :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D

I will need a quote to see where that was said. (the bolded)

Just because he didn't go to UFC doesn't mean he wasn't willing to put it on, if Brock wanted it why didn't he go to Strikeforce ???? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Just because he didn't go to UFC doesn't mean he wasn't willing to put it on, if Brock wanted it why didn't he go to Strikeforce ???? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Because he was under contract at the UFC.

Fedor was the free agent. he was the one who could've easily signed to make the fight happen. But M-1 wanted co-promotion. Why should UFC, after all of the work they've done over the years to drag MMA out of the sh*te and turn it into what it is today, then go and promote a competitor?

I edited my post.

Anyway.

What a dumb point firstly there are things called contract (ask Randy Couture), Brock wants to make money and why should he? Given want UFC was willing to give Fedor there is very few conclusions anyone can give other than he and M1 wanted to protect his record (we can see in hindsight why) and avoid fighting Brock.

I edited my post.

Anyway.

What a dumb point firstly there are things called contract (ask Randy Couture), Brock wants to make money and why should he? Given want UFC was willing to give Fedor there is very few conclusions anyone can give other than he and M1 wanted to protect his record (we can see in hindsight why) and avoid fighting Brock.

I don't think not signing with UFC was to protect his record. It was due to Strikeforce giving them what they wanted (co-promotion and a non-exclusive contract) while UFC wouldn't. It's worked out well for M-1 really, seeing as the M-1 Global brand is probably much more widely known now and afaik have confirmed a deal to show their own events on Shotime. It was all about the promotion of the brand and securing its long term future rather than protecting records in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yawn ...............................

Lol anyway did any one catch the undercard? Wished Bas and Mike "the voice" could have called the main card fights as they were hopping off each other :D

calex71 wrote: »

Lol anyway did any one catch the undercard? Wished Bas and Mike "the voice" could have called the main card fights as they were hopping off each other :D

Haven't seen it yet but I heard they were great together. Any interesting prelim fights? I want to check out the Gracie fight anyway.

• Advertisement

Because he was under contract at the UFC.

Fedor was the free agent. he was the one who could've easily signed to make the fight happen. But M-1 wanted co-promotion. Why should UFC, after all of the work they've done over the years to drag MMA out of the sh*te and turn it into what it is today, then go and promote a competitor?

Why should Fedor sign with UFC and get raped money wise (granted M1 probably did the same to him) by Dana White in the process of making him millions? If they wanted this fight so bad as suggested than 1 co-promotion with M1 is hardly going to result in M1 becoming an organisation to seriously compete with UFC (Strikeforce would not have had to been involved in the co promotion, just M1). UFC wanted this fight on their terms, its nice to see some people not bending over backwards for them.

I'm glad Fedor never went there because hopefully the UFC blinkered fans will realise MMA is not UFC.

But it's not all to do with age! You just made the point yourself, some peoiple like Randy can continue well into their 40s. Some like Silva can reach their peak when other top sportsmen are "old". Footballers are never at the top of their game at 34.

Another point with Fedor is he was never a GSP or a Silva, he didnt dominate every fight he was in. He had some incredible comebacks.

But just because that one guy, Randy Couture (who by the way HAS tailed off too) can still compete at an advanced age, it doesnt take away from the fact that Fedor was beating all of the top HWs in the world when they were all in their prime. he was Pride HW Champ and didn't actually "lose" a fight until his 34th bout..................

How does this not gain your respect?

To take you up on your footballer analogy, Ryan Giggs is 37 and he is playing unbelieveably every week for United this year and is getting another year onto the contract, at 37. Fedor is at the age where MMA fighters arguably peak, and after a string of weaker opponents, he has been hammered in his last two fights. A year or two older than Brock Lesnar when he had his FIRST fight.... just sayin :pac:

I'll put it this way so - In my opinion, Werdum and Silva would be lucky to be in the top 5 rankings in the world right now, since everyone keeps bringing these "rankings" up. They both beat Fedor fairly badly. Yet they have been his toughest opponents since he left Pride? He was offered the chance to fight the best in the world, numerous times I'm sure, and for whatever reason he declined. I suppose thats why I dont see the sun shining out his backside. He was a great heavyweight years ago alright. That was years ago though.

I edited my post.

Anyway.

Ya those contract things that Fedor has with M1 :rolleyes:

No the conclusion is M1 wanted to make as much money as possible.

I'm done now, regurgitated thread with soccer being discussed at the moment. This forum has gone to the dogs.

I'm glad Fedor never went there because hopefully the UFC blinkered fans will realise MMA is not UFC.

Nobody thinks it is. It is, however, where the best MMA fighters are.

Why should Fedor sign with UFC and get raped money wise (granted M1 probably did the same to him) by Dana White in the process of making him millions?

Apparently they were willing to give him $1m a fight. Also, in answer to your question, forget the money. He's an athlete, he could've went for the competition! This isn't boxing you know!
    If they wanted this fight so bad as suggested than 1 co-promotion with M1 is hardly going to result in M1 becoming an organisation to seriously compete with UFC (Strikeforce would not have had to been involved in the co promotion, just M1). UFC wanted this fight on their terms, its nice to see some people not bending over backwards for them.

UFC have made MMA what it is today. Why should they do all of the hard work and then just give in to the demands of M-1?

UFC is not MMA, but if you want to be considered the best in the world, you gotta beat the best in the world. And 90% of the top guys in the world fight for the UFC.

i watched the undercard. Bas and the Voice were awesome. Made me kinda sad to know they werent gonna call the Main Card.
    To take you up on your footballer analogy, Ryan Giggs is 37 and he is playing unbelieveably every week for United this year and is getting another year onto the contract, at 37. Fedor is at the age where MMA fighters arguably peak, and after a string of weaker opponents, he has been hammered in his last two fights. A year or two older than Brock Lesnar when he had his FIRST fight.... just sayin :pac:

Again, Randy Couture and Ryan Giggs, 2 exceptional examples. But before I move on, there's no way you can say that either Giggs or Couture are at the top f their respective games.

And you use Giggs as your example, but conveniently forget that 99% of footballers can't compete at the top lever when they get to that age.
    I'll put it this way so - In my opinion, Werdum and Silva would be lucky to be in the top 5 rankings in the world right now, since everyone keeps bringing these "rankings" up. They both beat Fedor fairly badly. Yet they have been his toughest opponents since he left Pride? He was offered the chance to fight the best in the world, numerous times I'm sure, and for whatever reason he declined. I suppose thats why I dont see the sun shining out his backside. He was a great heavyweight years ago alright. That was years ago though.

I get your point, i agree he hasnt been fighting the best opponents. i actually never said he had.

all I said was, to claim you have no respect for Fedor shows that you probably never ever saw a Pride event in your life or you weren't into MMA at the time when Fedor was the top guy in the world.

Like someone else said, there will be other people who come into watching MMA in 5 years time, just as Anderson Silva is tailing off and isnt the guy he once was. These people werent around to see the guy who completely empties out the MW division and beat everyone, they;ll see a shadow of Silva and say what you're saying now about Fedor.

I know for a fact that you weren't watching MMA when Fedor was Prde HW Champion, because if you had, there's no way you'd be saying you had no respect for him. And if you HAD been around in the Pride days, then you're downright trolling.

If Fedor's history doesn't demand respect, NOBODY'S history demands respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Haven't seen it yet but I heard they were great together. Any interesting prelim fights? I want to check out the Gracie fight anyway.

AH the Gracie fight, there should have been an out right Dq there imo for a purposeful head butt :mad:

AH the Gracie fight, there should have been an out right Dq there imo for a purposeful head butt :mad:

I agree, and something I really din't understand in MMA and in other similar sports is the warning. These guys are professionals, they know they cant headbutt, hold the shorts, hold the cage etc. Before the fight the referee repeats these rules to them........ so if a fighter headbutts another, why the hell is he warned. "Hey, you can do that once, but right now i'm telling you thats illegal. Twice is too much".

Bullsh*t. They have knowingly done something against the rules, deduct a point!

i
    Again, Randy Couture and Ryan Giggs, 2 exceptional examples. But before I move on, there's no way you can say that either Giggs or Couture are at the top f their respective games.

And you use Giggs as your example, but conveniently forget that 99% of footballers can't compete at the top lever when they get to that age.

I get your point, i agree he hasnt been fighting the best opponents. i actually never said he had.

all I said was, to claim you have no respect for Fedor shows that you probably never ever saw a Pride event in your life or you weren't into MMA at the time when Fedor was the top guy in the world.

Like someone else said, there will be other people who come into watching MMA in 5 years time, just as Anderson Silva is tailing off and isnt the guy he once was. These people werent around to see the guy who completely empties out the MW division and beat everyone, they;ll see a shadow of Silva and say what you're saying now about Fedor.

I know for a fact that you weren't watching MMA when Fedor was Prde HW Champion, because if you had, there's no way you'd be saying you had no respect for him. And if you HAD been around in the Pride days, then you're downright trolling.

If Fedor's history doesn't demand respect, NOBODY'S history demands respect.

Thats why Giggs is regarded as a genuine legend, nobody will ever question if he is or not. Its a word thats used too much anyway.

Fedor was great in pride, theres nobody in the world who would doubt that. But had he gone to the UFC when that was over, and fought the Coutures and the Lesnars of the world then there wouldnt be this question mark over him. But in all honesty, there is still this huge question mark over him, in some aspects. To beat the best, you do have to go to the UFC. Fedor, unfortunatley for all of us, chose not to. Now we're let to ponder what might have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Thats why Giggs is regarded as a genuine legend, nobody will ever question if he is or not. Its a word thats used too much anyway.

Fedor was great in pride, theres nobody in the world who would doubt that. But had he gone to the UFC when that was over, and fought the Coutures and the Lesnars of the world then there wouldnt be this question mark over him. But in all honesty, there is still this huge question mark over him, in some aspects. To beat the best, you do have to go to the UFC. Fedor, unfortunatley for all of us, chose not to. Now we're let to ponder what might have been.
    No, there's not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement