Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfish turning black

Options
  • 10-02-2011 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

This is on behalf of my friend, she asked me and I have no idea! I don't know much about fish . . .

But she has two goldfish, in an aquarium.

She was using bottled water for them, but recently changed to half bottled/half tap water, and used a conditioning treatment or whatever you call it . . .

She had just cleaned out the aquarium a few days before, so it was clean, and then she noticed one goldfish was getting black patches. The other one is fine.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? She asked a vet, but she didn't know about fish, and just suggested it could be a fungal infection or something but it's weird that the other one didn't get it. She looked up the internet and read about ammonia burn, but the water was clean.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Has she tested the water? Ammonia isn't visible.

She needs to get a test kit and test the water.

Sounds like when she cleaned out the aquarium, she removed the bacteria that break down ammonia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I doubt she has tested the water. I don't think she'd be an expert on fish.

I'll tell her that anyway, thanks :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I doubt she has tested the water. I don't think she'd be an expert on fish.

I'll tell her that anyway, thanks :)

You don't have to be an expert to test the water, I can do it and I'm not an expert on anything!

It's fairly simple to do, but it is an important part of keeping fish healthy.

Other than that, I'd advise that she changes out 50% of the water now, then 25% of the water once/ twice weekly from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

How long has she had the fish? Some goldfishes coloration develops as they age so it might be entirely natural.

Why is she using bottled water? That's a complete waste of money. Tap water is fine if she lets it stand for a while before adding it to the tank.

Silverfish wrote: »
    You don't have to be an expert to test the water, I can do it and I'm not an expert on anything!

It's fairly simple to do, but it is an important part of keeping fish healthy.

Other than that, I'd advise that she changes out 50% of the water now, then 25% of the water once/ twice weekly from then on.

Ah you know how a lot of people who have fish mightn't really know all the things you have to do. Saying that, maybe she does know more than I think she does :)

• Advertisement

How long has she had the fish? Some goldfishes coloration develops as they age so it might be entirely natural.

Why is she using bottled water? That's a complete waste of money. Tap water is fine if she lets it stand for a while before adding it to the tank.

No idea how long she's had them, I'll ask. I dunno why she was using bottled water really . . . I'll tell her that anyway, thanks :)

Advertisement