Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brainstorming Dundalk & Newry

Options
  • 10-02-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

I have a Quite a few ideas that would put people back to work on both sides of the border area . Of course we are-going to have people come here with their smart one liner post and who will take a stab at anything and everything a contributor will suggest . So let’s try not entertain any Wally’s by replying to a troll trapper .

From Ostrich Egg Incubation to a chick , to a fully grown bird which will be slaughtered for it’s meat , it’s skin and feathers harvested for leather and decorative boas . Yes, we are talking about a small Ostrich Farm .
    3~4 acres (1 - 2 hectares) of quiet and secluded rented land would be required ?, all trades involved , all the way down to supplying supermarkets and stall holders at Farmers Markets and events throughout Ireland . Who could do this ? A CO-OP group of up to 20 or even more unemployed who had the interest of hatching the egg all the way down to the sales pitch . Interested ? reply to this post or continue with your own other idea for putting people to work in Louth & Down

As sidebar, I’m seeking a handyman carpenter for a very small project .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

shindig-jp wrote: »
    As sidebar, I’m seeking a handyman carpenter for a very small project .

Building an ostrich pen?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Just to reiterate , As a SIDEBAR I am seeking a handyman carpenter for a small project for my own personal business .Someone who is out of work and on the DOLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

25 to 30 years ago this was tried near Dundalk. Failed then as successful hatching is difficult even using incubators. Best of luck but...

Cheers Srameen for the input , Last December I had the opportunity to visit Midland Ostrich Farms Lismoy House Newtownforbes Longford and spoke on the very subject of incubation .

Actually if you look at the business idea as a whole or have researched the subject to get it off the ground , building the hatchery chamber room and conditioning the air before you introduce the incubator is key somewhere down the line of finding land on which to site the project plus gain permission to operate such a business .

See what I'm saying here .

Well good luck with that, :rolleyes:

Any reason this particular scheme neesd to be cross border (Dundalk/Newry)?

• Advertisement

Just to reiterate , As a SIDEBAR I am seeking a handyman carpenter for a small project for my own personal business .Someone who is out of work and on the DOLE

Are you looking to employ this person (Tax PRSI Etc.) and take them off the Dole or looking for a cheap nixer?

Are you looking to employ this person (Tax PRSI Etc.) and take them off the Dole or looking for a cheap nixer?

Good question , Yep, it's a nixer ,

Any reason this particular scheme neesd to be cross border (Dundalk/Newry)?
    There's plenty of small plot rental land in both counties , The advantage would be to have a presence in both giving access to a wider market in mainland Britain where Ostrich meat is now a big seller . Also I have a connection with a leather Tanner who supplies Louis Vuitton

BTW , Personally, I would only have a small interest in this project . If it didn't get off the ground , no sweat on my behalf . I put the idea first in Louth as a tester , if there are no takers here I'll move it to the Business /Entrepreneur's forum ,

Great to see somebody in business advocating those on social welfare work for them as a nixer. Why not pay somebody, legally, to do the job?

As for access to markets. We have an open economy in Europe now. Having your venture in NI does not open any more markets (be they Britain or elsewhere) than having it here or in Germany.

Great to see somebody in business advocating those on social welfare work for them as a nixer. Why not pay somebody, legally, to do the job?

As for access to markets. We have an open economy in Europe now. Having your venture in NI does not open any more markets (be they Britain or elsewhere) than having it here or in Germany.

Fair Comment.

Absolute bullsh*t.

Have a read of this: http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/paye/guide/employers-guide-paye-intro.html#section5

Here are some of the criteria used to determine if an individual is self-employed and therefore are responsible for paying their own tax
    Are exposed to financial risk, by having to bear the cost of making good faulty or substandard work carried out under the contract
    Have the opportunity to profit from sound management in the scheduling and performance of engagements and tasks
    Have control over what is done, how it is done, when and where it is done and whether they do it personally
    Are free to hire other people, on their terms, to do the work which has been agreed to be undertaken
    Can provide the same services to more than one person or business at the same time
    Provide the materials for the job
    Provide equipment and machinery necessary for the job
    Cost and agree a price for the job
    Control the hours of work in fulfilling the job obligations

You asked the op whether this opportunity would take them off the dole or whether it would be a cheap nixer. Dumb quesion. I don't think it's that black & white. Individuals may still qualify for welfare payments if their income falls below a certain threshold (family income supplement), or if the job isn't full time and they are available for work on other days depending on a means test or contributions paid.

It's not the op's responsibly to "take people off the dole" or to ensure self-employed individuals file tax returns.

• Advertisement

tenchi-fan, It a sidebar to my main topic of giving a person a couple of hours work , I am not going to engage in what I do with my disposable income which has already been heavily taxed anyway.

I know where you're coming from ,It's no big deal so let's no go there.
    Cheers.

tenchi-fan, It a sidebar to my main topic of giving a person a couple of hours work , I am not going to engage in what I do with my disposable income which has already been heavily taxed anyway.

I know where you're coming from ,It's no big deal so let's no go there.
    Cheers.

shindig-jp, I was siding with you. Srameen is the one who suggested impropriety on your part.

As a "sidebar", it can be quite confusing having two separate topics in the same message.

You have mis-read my point. Why employ an obvious Grey economy person when there are people trying to make a living from their trade? Asking for someone on the dole to do a small job is encouraging activity detrimental to fair ecomony. And Tenchie-fan we can discuss something without the aggression!

Friendly Employer :
    Seeking Handyman Carpenter to fix my fence , tidy up garden , Remuneration : No Ostrich eggs but we can talk €money privately . Free Tea/Coffee , I hour lunch break , Must not be an obvious Grey economy person, discretion assured . Must be mindful of activity detrimental to fair economy . Please provide references along with resume , Safe Pass , Yellow helmet must be worn while cat is out taking the piss out of next door's dog, Apply in confidence with a PM to HR shindig-jp

Advertisement