Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registering a domain and business name.

Options
  • 10-02-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi all

Im want to register a dot ie domain so will be registering a business name with the cro to get a business number.

My questions is do people generally register the business name as the domian appears. For example registering ''boards.ie'' as the business name.
    Also if i register a business name do i have the complete any accounts as i dont plan to operate the business until later in the year.
    It will be trading as a sole trader.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

I dont think you should include the domain in the name. If you have "dunnesstores.ie" you would just register the name as dunnes stores and exclude the .ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

AFAIK the CRO no longer allow you to register a business as "website.ie" - they used to, but I think they changed their policy a few years ago (I could be wrong)

In any case ..

Your business name does not have to match the domain name you want to register. The domain name registration process will be simpler and faster if it does (assuming you're just registering a .ie domain name), but you can easily use a generic business name and apply for a .ie domain name under the discretionary category. If you do that, however, you would need to provide a signed letter outlining why you are registering the domain and how it is related to your business

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fishy21

thanks for the info guys.

But does anyone know when a business name is registered (sole trader) do accounts have to be completed when they are not trading?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Not if you intend to be a sole trader and you are just registering a business name

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fishy21

thanks freddio, thats the answer i was looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 george007

Just a little note .
    Be carefull about what you call your business.
    i.e if you call your business DVD Wholesale you cannot register a domain name www.flowers.ie.
    Your business name has to do something with your domain name or they will not give it to you

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

george007 wrote: »
    Your business name has to do something with your domain name or they will not give it to you
    Just to be clear, the business name and the domain don't 'need' to be directly connected, the applicant just needs to have a legitimate claim to the proposed name (more info here from the IEDR).

If the business name was "Bob's Place" and Bob sold flowers, there could still be a legitimate claim to a flower related domain name even without a direct business name link.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Blacknight wrote: »
    AFAIK the CRO no longer allow you to register a business as "website.ie" - they used to, but I think they changed their policy a few years ago (I could be wrong)

In any case ..

Your business name does not have to match the domain name you want to register. The domain name registration process will be simpler and faster if it does (assuming you're just registering a .ie domain name), but you can easily use a generic business name and apply for a .ie domain name under the discretionary category. If you do that, however, you would need to provide a signed letter outlining why you are registering the domain and how it is related to your business

Thats interesting and disappointing if thats the case.
    What if your business is a website?

Also to the Original Poster....I will advertise myself as mywebsite.com when I start up because that will lead people directly to my website.
    You could spend thousands on leaflets etc but you will never have better value for money as a great website that is updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

You definitely can't register a domain name as a business name - I tried last year when registering an online store.
    In my case I just replaced the .ie with Ireland for the business name

Mods....sorry for resurrecting this 2+ year old thread again but I am only now going about setting up a Business through circumstances changing.
    Not sure what the ct off point is for getting told off for starting a new thread when another one addresses my point so feel free to set me right.

I still want to use my domain name as my Business name and going by the previous and last answer to my query above this is on the cro.ie website

The registration of business names ending in a domain name suffix such as ".ie", ".com", ".net" or prefix such as "www" is considered undesireable, for the purposes of section 14(1) of the Registration of Business Names Act 1963. Proof of domain name ownership is required to process these applications.

They say undesirable so maybe they will let me have my .tv name?
    I have invested a lot of time and effort in putting my .tv domain name out on photos, videos etc that I have done on a voluntary basis in build up to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Just leave the dot out!

Never thought of that Peter....even though thats what I had to do with one of my social networks usernames......I suppose they then wouldn't frown on me then including the dot and advertising as my domain like I always have....

thanks for that.

Advertisement