Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genius Move Studio

• 10-02-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

I just put up a Facebook page for my Genius Move Studio

with a couple of (unmastered) Fox Avenue mixes.

Have a listen if you're inclined ...

180789_140623072668132_140573246006448_281903_7621813_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

Cool room. I like the picture on the wall. It must be like mixing in Tellytubby land?

www.jjvernon.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Yea ! The front wall is a tuned membrane (around 47hz) with a mural pasted to it . It really brightens up the room and gives it some personality ...

Chris from Munro Acoustics, who designed it for me, is over the weekend after next to measure it.

It's certainly very good - but the figures will say how good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

... have to say, I'm digging that chair Paul. Tasty looking space too and best of luck with the project.

old gregg wrote: »
    ... have to say, I'm digging that chair Paul. Tasty looking space too and best of luck with the project.

It's not just a chair Gregg, it's a MASSAGE chair !
    Thanks for the good wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

Is that little controller between the NS10s for when you get the urge to let rip with a Keith Emerson style keyboard solo? ;)

www.jjvernon.com

• Advertisement

That's the Akai iPhone thing ... where I can play the Synth Apps in the iPhone with regular(ish) keys !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

Nice one Paul. I would have to have the computer monitor in front of me between the speakers. Old habits etc etc:D

I hear ya Denis ...

However I do think there's some value in keeping the two processes separate i.e. when you're editing there's one thing going on and when you're mixing there's another. The screens are on arms so they can be dragged out closer to centre if needs be.

If you're not 'watching' the sound - 'Oh that looks wrong!' - I find you're more in tune with the music.

I also have another pair of Dell computer speakers in a window to the right of me as opposed to beside the NS10,000s ..... so when I use them I'm not 'monitoring' at all really just emotionally reacting to the tune as it passes.

I would consider myself naturally analytical - so perhaps I pursue balance in this area more than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

That photo looks like it was taken in the 70s!

Did you use some after effect on it, or is it simply a unique feature of your camera? ;)

It's an iPhone app - Hipstamatic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    It's an iPhone app - Hipstamatic

Awww sweet! Its very convincing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Dumb question here... Why put the speakers so close to wall? - looks like they have very little clearance? - or is that an optical illusion?

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Dumb question here... Why put the speakers so close to wall? - looks like they have very little clearance? - or is that an optical illusion?

Not dumb at all ...

The 'wall' is actually a tuned membrane absorber (around 47 Hz with a broad Q ) . The two side panels are full range.

All speakers will have a notch in freq response that's relative to the distance from the surrounding walls because of bass freq reflection/cancelation.

So if you have it tight to the wall that problem is reduced.
    This only applies to an absorber wall that doesn't give you a coupling boost though.

If I stick my head in the corner there's very little bass boost as most is being absorbed.

The room isn't huge so it was to maximise space.

That's one of the advantages of tuned membranes over general corner trapping.

Chris from Munro Acoustics was over to measure a few weeks ago and the room frequency response is very good though my RT is a little low. That's to be expected in a small room.

However it's good enough for a country job !

207253_153773514686421_140573246006448_365613_7914197_n.jpg

Multiple monitor options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Not dumb at all ...

The 'wall' is actually a tuned membrane absorber (around 47 Hz with a broad Q ) .

I think your insane in the membrane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

dav nagle wrote: »
    I think your insane in the membrane!

**you're ;)

223389_10150227043589874_645694873_8379506_2812687_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Paul I love the studio it looks amazing well done!

Advertisement