Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a part-time course in WIT

Options
  • 10-02-2011 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

I am having real difficulty finding a job at the moment and have been looking at my options over the past couple of weeks. I have been considering going back to education for a while but I cannot afford to go back full-time. I have found a part-time course that would really help build on my experience and may even help me move up in my field.

The course is a Higher Certificate in Legal Studies, 2 evenings a week, 7-10pm for 3 years. It is 165euro per 5 credit module or 1320euro per annum. There is also a BA in Legal Studies which is 18 months and is an add-on for graduates of the Higher Certificate course. The BA is 1480euro for Year 1 and 740euro for Year 2.

I have nearly 6 years experience as a legal secretary and find that potential employers are becoming increasingly more picky and are choosing qualification over experience, much to my disadvantage. Would the application process for this type of course be competitive in WIT? Would my experience help me be successful if the college were to receive a huge amount of applications and find themselves needing to be picky about students?

My main concerns are about work and financing the course. I just want to know if anyone has completed this type of course or one with a similar amount of attendance and study involved and been able to work continuously for the 3 years without it effecting their studies. Also, with these type of courses is it possible to pay per module or maybe in 2-3 installments throughout the year?

I have contacted the college but they have just told me to attend the open day on June 15 and I can speak to someone then. Obviously June 15 is a long way off and I would like to have a decision made way before then so I can start organising my finances to pay for my studies.

If anyone has any advice on undertaking part-time education or this course in particular I would really appreciate the posts :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 S_Snail

I applied for an evening course in WIT a few years ago to finish my degree, so I dont know if some of my information is a bit out of date. I don't think you will have any problem getting onto an evening course, generally when you are paying for it they have no restrictions (if I was to do my course full time I would have needed a merit or distinction in my diploma but by night there was no restrictions), but your experience will be a help if it is overbooked. When I applied I was eligible for a refund (50%, I think) through a Fas scheme, you (or someone in your family) should also be entitled to tax relief. As far as I can remember you could pay by installments, I'm back doing a full time course now and one of my friends has to pay fees and she pays by installments, i think you have to pay the full amount by the end of the year or you can't sit your exams but in general they are very good and understanding when it comes to sorting out fees.
    I'm not sure who you spoke to in WIT but you could try the Mature Students office to see if any is available to talk to you.

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Thanks Snail. I just e-mailed the general WIT address, think it's info@wit or something to that effect but I will try to get in touch with someone at the mature students office.

Thanks again.

Advertisement