Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5th of march NOGI Irish cup

• 10-02-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

THought i might start a thread for this.

2ndirishcup.jpg

What are the weight Classes?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

It was IBJJF NoGi weight classes last year, so I assume it will be this year.

Good tourney last year even though there were some competitor induced delays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

It was IBJJF NoGi weight classes last year, so I assume it will be this year.

Good tourney last year even though there were some competitor induced delays.
    Link if anyone is looking for it
    http://www.ibjjf.org/nogiweightlist.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ramunas

Or this weight classes? http://www.gnpevent.co.uk/weight-classes.html who can tell which one???

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

they're the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ramunas

dasmoose wrote: »
    they're the same...

not same, check more intently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Ramunas wrote: »

Your link is weights with a gi on, the other list is no gi, I believe it's the no gi weights they'll be using..

Ramunas wrote: »

You're looking at the gi weights, look at http://www.gnpevent.co.uk/nogiweight-classes.html see it's the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭illeagles_mcc

sounds good! could take a trip up!

is there any more details? times, cost, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

Anyone have a link to the rules? First tournament I'm entering so want to have a quick look over them..

Also, do we have to follow the IBJJF no gi uniform code? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Also, do we have to follow the IBJJF no gi uniform code? :(

I'd be pretty sure we don't, that would be crazy!

Do you have to wear a cup?
    Is it ok to wear earguards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

ibjjf rules dont allow cups or earguards, but i cant remember the stance these guys took last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Niall0 wrote: »
    Do you have to wear a cup?
    Is it ok to wear earguards?

Wearing a cup is a bit unfair in competition, really makes armbars extra painful. I also heard that back control hurts too.

Dermighty wrote: »
    Wearing a cup is a bit unfair in competition, really makes armbars extra painful. I also heard that back control hurts too.
    I dont think it makes much diference really, its alot more painfull when you get an accidental knee in the balls. Everyone in mma wears a cup and it makes no difference to the grappling aspect of it, but if its the rules its the rules i guess. I was just wondering if it was part of the rules of this competition.

I dont think it makes much diference really, its alot more painfull when you get an accidental knee in the balls. Everyone in mma wears a cup and it makes no difference to the grappling aspect of it, but if its the rules its the rules i guess. I was just wondering if it was part of the rules of this competition.

Fair enough. And yes, a knee in the balls from half guard happens me half the time but all I know is whenever I got armbarred by someone wearing a cup it was ten times tighter and ten times as painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭NG-DOC

it definitely makes a massive difference.

arm bars from every position, triangles, double under pass defense, deep half guard defense, back control, mount.

they increase leverage for submissions and create pressure/extra discomfort.

they are worn in mma because it is a different sport that involves striking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

and if someone has your back from turtle. You will be flattened out a hell of a lot quicker if someone is wearing a cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

aaah fond memories of someone stabbing their pointy groin guard into your spine. No need for groin guards in bjj, where they can become more offensive than defensive. And if you keep getting your nuts banged, maybe change your tactics to not having that happen?

I guess some gron guards must be worse than others, hopefully my ear holds up until Saturday cant wait for the comp!

• Advertisement

I'd be pretty sure we don't, that would be crazy!
    Thank god for that :pac:

Sooo.. Is just like a plain black underarmour type thing alright, or should it be like a rashguard?

Last question I swear :p What's the deal with leglocks in this competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gusuk

Hi Guys - I will keep the registration at 24 euros till it closes. Please sogn up before the end as w can not do it on the day.

here it goes

Click here to register

All the best
    Gus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

will there be absolute this year and if so will it be beginner , intermediate , advanced divisions or one total absolute division

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭draylander

When does registration close for this event? can you register on the day?

gusuk wrote: »
    Hi Guys - I will keep the registration at 24 euros till it closes. Please sogn up before the end as w can not do it on the day.

here it goes

Click here to register

All the best
    Gus

And if you follow that link you see:

Registration closes:
    4 March 2011 12:00 AM Europe/London

Registration 18 and over? :( :runs away and cries in the corner:

what are they going to id you?? unless youre like 12 or something i would sign up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Ive done adult catagorys since I started bjj, first competition I was 16 and I performed fine against the 'Adults'

don't let it stop you, its a challenge

Do you weigh in in the morning or before your division/fight starts?

• Advertisement

As Longer your parent sign up the waivers form and you a OK fighting adult. It is all ok. Hope to see you there

Do you weigh in in the morning or before your division/fight starts?

we will do before the division, however as the competition gets moving we will try to weight all the guys, but if do not make weight early you can try again before you step on the mat.

Hi can are looking for 2 table stuff to work on the day. Pay will be 40 euros. Please getting in touch email 2011@gnpevent.co.uk

All the best
    Gus

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

Gus,
    We have a few of us coming from Cork , should be able to help out on the day.

Liam_B wrote: »
    Gus,
    We have a few of us coming from Cork , should be able to help out on the day.

Hi Liam. So great to hear that. Many Thanks mate. Can we meet up at 9.30. So I can show the score boards and talk about the rules.

Best
    Gus

Click here for the competitors list updated on 03 march 2011 - 17.56pm

• Advertisement

absoloute advanced division on the cards??

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

Hi Liam. So great to hear that. Many Thanks mate. Can we meet up at 9.30. So I can show the score boards and talk about the rules.

Best
    Gus

Depending on how many speed Camera's I encounter , I should be there for that time.

Liam_B wrote: »
    Depending on how many speed Camera's I encounter , I should be there for that time.

Cool Liam. Drive safely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

what time is the competition scheduled to start?

gusuk wrote: »
    As Longer your parent sign up the waivers form and you a OK fighting adult. It is all ok. Hope to see you there

Where's the waiver form?

• Advertisement

Where's the waiver form?

You get it email email after you made the payment. but here it is below.

WAIVER OF PARTICIPATION

I do hereby submit my application for participation in the 2nd NOGI IRISH CUP held at Shoreline Leisure, Mill Road, Greystones, Dublin, IE.

I hereby assume full responsibility and liability for all damages, injuries and losses that I may sustain or incur while participating in or watching the tournament.

I realize that serious injury is commonplace in martial arts tournaments such as the one I am hereby entering and that death is a possibility. I also realize that if I am injured, I might be disfigured, disabled and/or rendered unable to work again. By entering into this competition I agree to and fully accept and assume liability for any and all injuries that I may incur expressly give up and waive any and all claims that I or anyone acting on my behalf or through me might have against the promoters G&P EVENTS LTD, Gustavo Oliveira, operators, sponsors, officials, participants, non-participants, and their agents, employees and representatives for any injury regardless of its nature, effect or affect on me as a result of my participation and/or presence at the tournament.

I authorize, and agree to hold harmless, whatever medical personnel may be present at the tournament to take any action necessary, should I become injured.

I further understand that tickets will be sold to spectators to watch the tournament; that news media and others might cover the tournament and that it may also be videotaped or otherwise shown to audiences around the world. I hereby expressly and irrevocably forever consent to having my likeness shown, publicized, commented and/or reported on; and I do not expect to, and in fact waive any compensation I might otherwise be entitled to as a result thereof.

I represent that I am in good health; that I am not presently, nor will I participate while under the influence of any drug or medication; that no one affiliated with this tournament has encouraged me to enter or made any representations regarding my fitness or ability to participate; that I have read and understood every provision of this release; and that I am legally competent to and freely enter into this waiver, release and assumption of risk agreement.

If an athlete's registration application is accepted and the athlete permitted to compete, Organizer hereby expressly reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, with or without cause, to change, modify or otherwise edit information contained upon a the registration form, including but not limited to: the athlete's academy's name and affiliation and/or the competitor's name and/or nickname. Organizer likewise expressly reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, with or without cause, to add or remove an athlete from the open weight division.

Changes to an athlete's registration including but not limited to academy affiliation will be permitted up to one business day before the registration deadline. There will be no changes permitted to an athlete's after that time. If an athlete or coach of an athlete wishes to make a change, any such change(s) are strictly limited to: competitor's name/nickname, academy affiliation and those member's of the academy that will be competing in the open weight division.

The head coach of an academy's competition team shall be granted the right to change a competitor's registration information. Such changes are limited to: weight division, competitor's name/nickname, academy affiliation and those member's of the academy that will be competing in the open weight division.

I further understand that I am responsible for checking and must check my registration information for the event on the website on the registration list for: weight, belt, academy, age division, and name information by the specified registration check day. I further understand that the registration check day is the last possible day to make any corrections (including typographical errors made by the organisers), to my registration information for the event. I understand and acknowledge that after the registration check day, no changes will be made and no refunds will be given. I understand that if I don't verify my information and send a notification for the correction by the specific time, no changes are permitted after that time and any mistakes in the brackets, whether or not caused by me, may lead to my immediate disqualification.

The Organiser hereby expressly reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, with or without cause to deny a potential athlete/competitor's registration/application for permission to compete in the event. The terms athlete and/or competitor may be used interchangeably.

If any dispute arises out of, or is any way related to your participation in this event, by entering your registration application, you are hereby expressly waiving and giving up your right to the make any legal claim in court and a trial by jury. The word "dispute" as used above refers to anything, including claims for injury (which you have already waived) that may have occurred or you claim did not occur at the event.

In case of minors under 18 years old.

Furthermore, if the competitor is a minor I, hereby certify that I am parent and/or legal guardian of the above named minor who has been given my express permission to compete in the event for which we are registering. And, that I have read and understood every provision of the release of liability and that I am legally competent to and freely enter into this release of liability and assume all risk on behalf of the minor (competitor) named herein and any and all successors, assigns or any other representative acting upon the minor's behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭draylander

what is the difference between beginner category and intemediate? Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭NG-DOC

draylander wrote: »
    what is the difference between beginner category and intemediate? Anyone know?

beginner - under 1 year training

intermediate - under 3 years training

over 3 years training - dont register apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

over 3 years training - dont register apparently.

Very true. In about 2 weeks there will be yet another post "when is the next no gi competition?" Well there is one this weekend and yet again considering how many clubs there are in the country, its pretty poorly supported. Unless of course the usual 50 are going to show up and try and register on the day.

Its why I dont run competitions anymore.

Good luck to Gus and everyone who is supporting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Very true. In about 2 weeks there will be yet another post "when is the next no gi competition?" Well there is one this weekend and yet again considering how many clubs there are in the country, its pretty poorly supported. Unless of course the usual 50 are going to show up and try and register on the day.

Its why I dont run competitions anymore.

Good luck to Gus and everyone who is supporting it.
    Are they a different 50 from the ones that enter the competitions then don't show and never pay? We've had lots of them as well.

Best of luck to all the competitors today. Only 3 from my place going but they're under strict instructions to bring home medals or they're out on their ear.

Best of luck to all the Pedro Bessa guys that headed up today :)

I bitched about this enough today and at the risk of sounding like a crybaby, ill do a little more.

I did the adult, advanced (training over 3 years) u79kg today at the nogi cup.

the exact same two lads were in my division as the last nogi cup, both way better than me, so i get killed in my first match this time, my second match last time, by the same guy, who is very good.

I have no problem with that though, im not a bad loser and im definitely not taking issue with the lads that were in my division, far from it, my problem is with the lads that werent in my division. A number of blue belts asked me today why i wasnt doing the intermediate division. i said because ive been training for 3 years, so i cant.

I asked them how long they have been training for and they roll their eyes and laugh. Medals aside, there is no victory in my opinion, in winning a division you shouldnt be doing.

Especially on the irish scene, where theres not a great deal of active people that have been training for over 5 years, anyone with a blue belt should definitely be doing the advanced division.

Im not calling any individual out at all, thats definitely not my place and i have no credentials to back myself up, but it definitely pisses me off that i cant get a competitive match for my money.

I could always move down a division but i was never one for cheating.

Chris- telling it like it is since nineteen eighty nine apparently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement