Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for a stag weekend in Europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gaz200

krakow is deff 1 of the best places for a stag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Hamburg - sick place, perfect for a seedy, sleezy stag weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭papermaker

another vote for Prague...been there 3 times....don't miss Atlas off Wenceslas.. fabulous girls..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Mac puppy

Doberman83 wrote: »
    Im the best man for my mates wedding so its up to me to sort out a stag weekend. The stag is going to be at the start of july and I was thinking of somewhere in Europe for a weekend, preferably somewhere with 24 hour drinking. A weekend in England taking in a premier league game or darts championship would have been ideal but at that time of year its not possible. Any suggestions on where is good for a stag or any festivals on around Europe from late June to mid July. Cheers

copenhagen would be a great place for it, only problem is its not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

firefly08 wrote: »
    Do your friends like machine guns? In the Czech Republic they have beer, strippers and machine guns.
    Yakult wrote: »
    Prague!
    RMD wrote: »
    Prague is the best European city I've ever been to for a stag type trip as it's relatively cheap, clubs are good and open pretty much all hours. Berlin has some great clubs but is a lot more expensive.
    papermaker wrote: »
    another vote for Prague...been there 3 times....don't miss Atlas off Wenceslas.. fabulous girls..:D

I've never left Leixlip, but, according to reports from several stag parties, Prague is brilliant.
    Several friends have gone there repeatedly.
    Following the advise of a Czech girl who lives locally (Philly, you lucky bastard), go to the old part of Prague for cheap hookers and cheap beer. It's dodgier than the newer part though.

The first post above mentions guns. They have shooting ranges there, s you can get a nice buzz firing automatic weapons before getting hammered and doing whatever else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

conorhal wrote: »
    Prague is a decent spot, the city center is quite compact and friendly, downside: there are a hell of a lot of other stag parties there.

I was on a stag in Cork a few months ago, had a blast!

My tip of the day is: Avoid Budapest like the plague that it is. A friend of mine has just come back from a stag there. He said that if you pick up a taxi on the street they charge litterally extortionate rates, many of the strip clubs are mafia fronts that do little but roll tourists for every cent they have, the city is dirty and the people very unfriendly.
    Prague is a bit overdone and touristy. British stag parties everywhere!

+1 on Budapest though. Everybody in that city is trying to screw you one way or another. A strip club tried to charge 10k to a friends Laser card but the bank blocked it.

Edinburgh would be relatively cheap and its got 24hr drinking AFAIK.

If you decide to keep it in Ireland, Killarney is beautiful during the day and a circus a night.

Try Dundalk if you haven't been stabbed in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

cologne was good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Nadser wrote: »
    Cheap booze?? I was in Copenhagen the other weekend and pints were over €7! Great city, but hardly cheap!

Wow really? I was there about 3 years ago and it was really cheap. Depended big time on where you go though. One bar had 4 bottles of beer for the equivalent of about 3 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Tirana.

Top spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    God I've to go to Riga soon for a stag, really dreading it, they hate gangs of British/Irish lads in those places :(

People in Riga hate everyone to be frank

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    God I've to go to Riga soon for a stag, really dreading it, they hate gangs of British/Irish lads in those places :(

Whoever told you that has never been to Riga. The Latvians know how to party, and Irish/English/Scottish are all very welcome to join. That at least has been my experience.
    Ya Riga can be rough, I didn't have many problems my self but a group of us had a glass thrown at us by some Russians. It wasn't even a group of Irish, it was a very mixed group. That was all I witnessed though, other than that most locals where sound just sick of loud tourists in particular.

So one guy from a group of tourists threw a glass at another group of tourists? Wow that never happens in the likes of Dublin. Feel free to paint a whole city as 'rough' because of it.

Do your friends like machine guns? In the Czech Republic they have beer, strippers and machine guns.

Machine Guns? Pfft. There is a place near me(south of Prague) where you can drive tanks, for the cost of a few beers in Temple Bar.
    Following the advise of a Czech girl who lives locally (Philly, you lucky bastard), go to the old part of Prague for cheap hookers and cheap beer. It's dodgier than the newer part though.

Cheap Beer in Prague. Yeah... You have to remember she is using the Czech definition of cheap not the Irish definition. So by going into the old town and getting 'cheap' beer she is probably talking about a beer for 70-80c and a hooker for about 40 euro, versus the 'New' town where a beer is about 2 Euro and a hooker about 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

another vote for prague, stay out of the touristy areas and you can get beer for about 60-70c a pint, its about 1.50-1.75 a pint in the touristy bars, czech beer that is, other stuff will cost you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

When I was in prague with the girls we met a stag party whose groom had decided to have the wedding immediately after the stag party in prague aswell. Met one of the lads in the airport on the way home and asked him how the wedding went. He told me the morning of the wedding he woke up caked in vomit an hour late for the wedding, forin a hotel the opposite side of town. Made a dash for the wedding still dripping caked vomit but completely missed the wedding. After a week in prague I nodded sagely and completely understood. Me and my friends went out for a quiet few the last night we were there and ended up out in the middle of the prague countryside at 5 o clock in the morning. Ah a great place! What's the pub in the centre where they have beer on tap at each table?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

syklops wrote: »
    So one guy from a group of tourists threw a glass at another group of tourists? Wow that never happens in the likes of Dublin. Feel free to paint a whole city as 'rough' because of it.
    It wasn't another tourist Latvia is full of Russians. Two English lads came back to the hostel after getting beaten by the police. We were being shown around by locals and they told us to keep our heads down because tourists have a bad reputation.

Like I said I didn't have any real problems other than that glass being thrown at our group. But others did have problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Went to Edinburgh on a stag a few years back. Good spot + it's only a short flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Amsterdam is always gonna be a good choice. You can also fly with good on Ryanair into Eindhoven (where I'm living) and you can get a train up if the direct flights are too expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Lourdes or Amsterdam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i hear fatima's some spot the wimmins - they appear out of nowhere...

another vote for prague though from me. some spot, was there for my own stag in 2006. find a beer hall, get pissed on great beer at about 70c a pint and fall into one of the many strip clubs where (and i really mean this) the women are some of the best looking i've ever seen not just in a strip joint but ANYWHERE!

on the downside, my best man got a hiding. in fairness, whoever gave him a kicking was probably only human...or paid for by one of his mates...he's a notoriously bad drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

I used this company when we went away to Prague a few years back

http://www.pissup.com/prague/tours/activities/271/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Sorry for digging out this old thread and God help me posting in after hours but please be nice.
    I have booked 11 friends in for Riga next month as part of a stag.
    None of them are a*seholes and none of them drink to excess or act the fool, all are fairly mature too. Anyway, has anyone any recent experience of a stag there? Is it really dodge central and it'll be a case of keeping the head down and being chaperoned everywhere?

Thanks
    irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Pyongyang is buzzing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

ScumLord wrote: »
    It wasn't another tourist Latvia is full of Russians. Two English lads came back to the hostel after getting beaten by the police. We were being shown around by locals and they told us to keep our heads down because tourists have a bad reputation.

Like I said I didn't have any real problems other than that glass being thrown at our group. But others did have problems.

It's just because of this british illness (or national tradition) to piss everywhere like a fcuking dogs. Those brits were beaten by police probably because they were pissing on national monument or in the middle of street so well deserved.
    If they weren't acting like pigs and would behave themselves like other nationalities do nothing would have happen. Brits are having the same problems anywhere in world, not only Riga.
    My vote also goes for Riga or Prague. Cheap booze and beautiful girls. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

My advice: wait till September and go to Munich for the Oktoberfest. They sell beer by the "stein" there and it must be like 2 litres big. But it looks deceptively small, you wouldn't think you were drinking that much. And the beer doesn't TASTE too heavy either. Until you've had 4 of them and are totally obliterated.

I had one night there and it was probably the maddest night of my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Thanks for the advice lads.
    We are already booked in so need to make the most of the advice anyone can give me.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

Amsterdam ofcourse! What a question! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

dates depending, an ireland away soccer game is my ideal stag weekend. the trips are always class and some of the countries get to play in are as good as it gets for cheap p*ss ups.

ive been to riga, bratislava, prague, talinn and skojpe on ireland trips and they were all excellent, 2 of them were pretty much what id expect from a stag weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

TBH I hate it when stag parties don't go abroad. I mean it'll obviously cost money but every stag I've been at abroad has been 10 times better than those at home.

If you're clever about it, it can be cheap enough to go abroad too. If you book early enough to get a cheap flight, go somewhere with cheap food and beer and find a cheap, central hotel so you can walk everywhere, it can be comparable to what you pay here. A proper piss up is horrenesly expensive in this country by the time you pay for drinks, taxis and a hotel. I was at a stag party in Krakow where I was amazed how little we spent over a long weekend where we really didn't sober up at all. That was staying in the city centre - I remember in Prague going to a restaurant 10 minutes walk from the centre that had fantastic food and 3 beers for a euro.

I've been on good stags in Prague, Krakow and Amsterdam. Not from being at stag parties, but I would not recommend Budapest or Barcelona. I've always had a good time in any German city I've been in - Cologne and Bonn in particular - and have heard great things about Berlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Go deer hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Frankfurt, the city centre is a drinking mecca. Everything you need to party is readily available and the policing is quite laxed for a big city.

Ryanair fly into Hahn which is about a 2 hour coach drive from the city, alternatively you could fly into the main airport which is only a 20 min shuttle ride away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement