Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joomla or Wordpress?

Options
  • 10-02-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for some feedback on which of these I should use. I've taken on a website to design for a musical band, and they will need to update the site themselves at a later stage once its live.

Basically they will need to log in and update a news section, I'd like the date to be on each post and also and option to see "archived news" rather than have all news posts to be on the one page and involve lots of scrolling....so I'm guessing an RSS feed?

Also they will need to be able to upload pictures into an image gallery(s), and possibly at a later date upload mp3s and videos.

Thing is I'm kind of stuck for time, they need site ASAP and I have no CMS experience, although I have designed a few HMTL/Flash sites. Have downloaded joomla and uploaded it to my own personal site, and had a look around it but it seems a bit complicated to learn in a short space of time, modules, articles etc! Was gonna buy a Joomla book and learn it but that could take weeks. Is Wordpress a bit easier to pick up and will it provide all the functionality that I mentioned?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

WordPress will definitely do what you need. Joomla will almost certainly do what you need also.

I would recommend WordPress, mainly in this case because I believe it's more user friendly (which is a fairly qualitative statement). I'm not a Joomla expert, and I'm sure they could come in here and give you an equivalent qualitative reason as to why it would be better. And a Drupal guy Drupal. And a PostNuke guy PostNuke. (ok, maybe no PostNuke guy :))

My logic for liking WordPress is detailed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭whufee

Joomla is much better than wordpress in my opinion, it allows you to power a 100% e-commerce site. However, wordpress is very easy to use, if you dont want to turn your website into a purely e-commerce website (dont sell your products online) then go for wordpress. Wordpress templates are also cheaper than joomla in most cases, if you dont want to build one from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

My vote's for WordPress too, Joomla is overkill for the sort of site you're looking for. KISS - keep it simple stupid! (That's a design principle not an insult, by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Thanks all....

Just downloading Wordpress now and gonna test it out, yeah I dont really need an ecommorce function so wordpress will probably be the way I go. The band might have a CD to sell but that would be it, I can set that up with a paypal link or something.

Advertisement