Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choc cake - Butter question.

Options
  • 10-02-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

May seem like a silly question but I'm not really a baker, usually.

Just wondering... for making a Chocolate Fudge cake, Should you only use unsalted butter??

Cheers! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Sorry...Mod's feel free to delete this. I just saw a recipe in a thread below which answered my question! Apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Niamho! wrote: »
    Hi All,

May seem like a silly question but I'm not really a baker, usually.

Just wondering... for making a Chocolate Fudge cake, Should you only use unsalted butter??

Cheers! :)

It is an interesting question.

Lots of recipes insist that you only use unsalted butter. I always use salted butter and never noticed any salty taste or anything wring with the cakes.

Does anyone think that it realty makes a difference ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

It only makes a difference I think in buttercream and chocolate biscuit cake with digestives, because digestives are very salty so I always use unsalted then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I agree with Spadina, doesn't make a whole lot of difference to most things.

I can remember going to Newry for work and bought tons of unsalted butter(cheap and good quality and hard to get in my local supermarket before any asks why :p), i froze most of it, and was using it up as i went along. Anyway, I ran out one day making a cake for my dads birthday(first attempt at making creme patissierre with gelatin-disaster!) and just lobbed in ordinary butter-didn't make a whit of difference to the cake! The awful, lumpy creme patissierre sure did though-blergh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Spadina wrote: »
    It only makes a difference I think in buttercream and chocolate biscuit cake with digestives, because digestives are very salty so I always use unsalted then.

I always use salted butter for buttercream, used unsalted once and it was horrible..maybe there are nicer brands but the one I got was rank!

• Advertisement
Advertisement