Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monster Beats by Dre Tour Edition with Control Talk

• 08-02-2011 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

I know ye said cheap but my brother got a set of *proper* in-ear headphones a few months back.

I left my apple ones in college so I borrowed his for the bus trip to college and back.

"Monster Beats by Dre Tour Edition with Control Talk"
    Oh. My. God.
    They're staggeringly good! Technically not noise cancelling but the funny cone shaped rubber grometts are designed to kill background noise, and they do! Witht he volume around half on an iTouch, someone could sit beside you speaking loudly but you wont hear a peep inside! The bass and the treble are both amazingly crisp, with no distortion, no mateer how loud you turn up your ipod/mp3/laptop/ etc.

They're very expenseive but definitely worth it. They look slick, the control talk feature works brilliantly (Pause and volume control without taking the ipod out of your pocket...I think it'll skip/go back a track too but i didnt try).
    On top of all these nice features the sound quality is beyond words. The quality from these heaphones is waaay beyond hi-fi, laptop, or surround sound dvd type setups...I didnt think it was possible to have sound quality that good from in-ear headphones but monster have achieved it!
    Couldnt recommend them enough, well worth every penny!!!

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5097

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

A lot of people who have never tried high end audio will the first time trying out something decent be amazed by what differences they experience over the stock earphones bundled with an mp3 player. I still remember the first time I listened to a new set of good earphones/ headphones and getting goosebumps from that very first song.

TBH if you consider £124 sterling on amazon.co.uk cheap then great, but for me I'd consider it a reasonably large purchase as headphones go, and I'd want to make sure I was getting the best value for money.

I paid £18 for a pair of shure se110 ages ago and they're normally the bones of €100 in bricks and mortar store, I'd consider that cheap. I know now that they're not brilliant by any means and have their faults but they were a step up for me.

If you found something you love then more power to you but there is a reason why people dislike Monster as a brand, because it's overpriced. Monster like Skullcandy spend large amounts of money on getting their brand out there. I spent many wasted euros/sterlings on skullcandy before I realised how bad value they were and how their lifetime warranty was more like a lifetime of hassle for me.

Edit also Zombie thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

On top of all these nice features the sound quality is beyond words. The quality from these heaphones is waaay beyond hi-fi, laptop, or surround sound dvd type setups...I didnt think it was possible to have sound quality that good from in-ear headphones but monster have achieved it!

Imagine what the 56 models of in-ear phones rated more highly than the Beats would sound like then. :Dhttp://www.head-fi.org/products/category/in-ear

They are not 'waaay' beyond hi-fi - fact! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

The only thing "way beyond" was the hyperbole in that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Baza210 wrote: »
    The only thing "way beyond" was the hyperbole in that post.

Have you tried the headphones in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Nononolan

Tried them and I didnt notice anything out of the ordinary compared to bose, sony and shure in ears i ve tried before. Their philosophy seems to be bass driven which suits the untrained ear but as you graduate onto other similar priced brands your tastes will change. I'd love to try the Monster Miles Davis in ears though but I dont think in ears represent good value at that price. Anyone out there try them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Recent posts split from Best Cheap In-Ear Headphones

Other than the arguably cheap build quality of the Monster beats, their price range renders them unsuitable for that thread.

Yes. Have you tried a range of other earphones at the same price?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Baza210 wrote: »
    Yes. Have you tried a range of other earphones at the same price?

Tried a €320 set yeah...felt the beats were better tho:)

Edit:
    Have you any reccomendation on the Bose/Sony/SennH alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Nononolan

I liked the bose in ears, its just the buds supplied arent for everyone. They are by no means as powerful as the beats in terms of volume but are a good all-rounder. The missus got me klipsch s4i's for xmas and they are the mutts, once again the buds arent for everybody as I seemed to be the only one in the house that could get them to fit properly. I had a pair of Shure Se115's and they were ok for a long as they worked, one ear went after 2 or so months...probably my own negligence. The Klipsch are the best in ear I have tried in quite some time but then again peoples perception of sound quality is subjective. I think most of the negative post regarding the beats are down to the fact that they are not great value for money compared to whats out there at the same price.

Tried a €320 set yeah...felt the beats were better tho:)

Edit:
    Have you any reccomendation on the Bose/Sony/SennH alternatives?

Fischer Audio DBA-02, Head-Direct RE0, Etymotic MC5, Hippo VB, whatever else is FOTM on head-fi.org

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

I have a set of the Beats Tour with control talk and I couldn't agree with you more. I paid 145 sterling for them in the apple store in Belfast. One of the best things I've ever bought.

The Monster Beatbox is next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Do you mind me asking those of you who own monster beats what other ear/headphones you have and or have heard?

I'm just curious if you have listened to others before and didn't like them and went on to buy and like the beats by dre? Or did you buy them because they were well known? Also what bitrate music do you listen to?

Here is what I've had/have chronologically:
    (It starts off awful and I sort of redeem myself later)
    • cheap sonys/philips/jvcs/no name earbuds
    • sennheiser mx 260s
    • apple buds from ipod
    • skullcandy ink'd x2 (both broken and weren't replaced despite lifetime warranty)
    • skullcandy fmj (same as above)
    • skullcandy gi (broke and replaced 4 times, I'm not sending them off again for them to break in another few months)
    • shure se110 (first steps into proper sound & isolation)
    • allesandro ms1i (personal faves)
    • head direct re0 ( very delicate but they're ace)
    • sennheiser 435 (very meh but they have a use to me)
    • fischer audio dba-02 (haven't had enough of a listen to find out where I rate them)

Advertisement