Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEP Entry 2011

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neurodegenerate

I'd say 61 will be enough for UCD this year - good luck!:) I have RCSI as my first choice but don't think I've a chance of getting in! I've Cork number two so fingers crossed the points won't rise there! I don't know how I'll stick the wait till august...!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

Well best of luck to you neurodegenerate , what points are you hoping to get in on

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neurodegenerate

I've 59, so cautiously optimistic about cork! I'd be very happy with limerick either, I just heard about the open day UL is having on march 31st, hopefully that will be helpful! Are the number of places increasing in any of the courses does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

I'd say you'll definitely get Cork with 59 - best of luck .

At least you know that with 59 you will be doing medicine somewhere come September which is the main thing

The rumours is that UL are increasing their places to meet their quota for the class size but that the increase in places is not as sinificant as last year . Also, there is talk that UCD are going to add a few more places too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brainyladybug

Hi Sparrow

I think you are fretting far too much... You will your pick of UCD, Limerick or Cork with 61.

P.s. I think you're hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilhelmet

I've 59, so cautiously optimistic about cork! I'd be very happy with limerick either, I just heard about the open day UL is having on march 31st, hopefully that will be helpful! Are the number of places increasing in any of the courses does anyone know?

Hey Neuro,

Incase you haven't heard, both UCD and UL are both increasing their places:

UL increasing to 70 to 90 (although it could be 25 extra places, I think)
    UCD increasing from 55 to 77

Also, contrary to what was said earlier in this thread (someone said applicants had doubled), CAO applications have actually dropped this year from 760 last year to 680 this year. So things are definitely looking good this year for at least stability in points, and even a possible drop.

With 80 less applicants, and approximately 45 new places, that's a total difference of 125 lower from last year, which is a drop in 'place demand' of almost 20%, quite significant.

RCSI = 30
    UCD = 77
    UCC = 25
    UL = 90

Total Places = 222
    Total Applicants = 680 (therefore 458 will miss out)

Which means that literally 1 in 3 people will definitely get a place somewhere this year, which is a great percentage! Therefore: 458/680 = 0.67 x 100 = 67%percentile. Therefore judging by this years Gamsat Curve, everyone with a 55-56 and above should get a place somewhere. Obviously, there are variables that this doesn't take into account, like some people will have scores from September and such, but by and large, things are definitely looking better than last year you could say.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scientist1

Wilhelmet wrote: »
    Hey Neuro,

Incase you haven't heard, both UCD and UL are both increasing their places:

UL increasing to 70 to 90 (although it could be 25 extra places, I think)
    UCD increasing from 55 to 77

Also, contrary to what was said earlier in this thread (someone said applicants had doubled), CAO applications have actually dropped this year from 760 last year to 680 this year. So things are definitely looking good this year for at least stability in points, and even a possible drop.

With 80 less applicants, and approximately 45 new places, that's a total difference of 125 lower from last year, which is a drop in 'place demand' of almost 20%, quite significant.

RCSI = 30
    UCD = 77
    UCC = 25
    UL = 90

Total Places = 222
    Total Applicants = 680 (therefore 458 will miss out)

Which means that literally 1 in 3 people will definitely get a place somewhere this year, which is a great percentage! Therefore: 458/680 = 0.67 x 100 = 67%percentile. Therefore judging by this years Gamsat Curve, everyone with a 55-56 and above should get a place somewhere. Obviously, there are variables that this doesn't take into account, like some people will have scores from September and such, but by and large, things are definitely looking better than last year you could say.

You have made my day! I really really really hope you're right, have 56 - hoping and praying to God, Allah, Buddha...etc...that I get into UL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

Scientist1 wrote: »
    You have made my day! I really really really hope you're right, have 56 - hoping and praying to God, Allah, Buddha...etc...that I get into UL :D

Oh God the waiting! I can't take the waiting anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilhelmet

Scientist1 wrote: »

Hey Scientist1, yeah UL is actually increasing places from 70 to 95, so that's even more than I had in my previous calculation. While nothing can be said for sure, with the 10% drop in all GEM applicants and such an increase in places (26% across the board) giving a total drop in real place demand of 127 compared to last year, I would be very surprised if a 56 didn't get you into UL this year, especially based on last years UL closing on a 56*.

My gut "on the very cautious side" instinct is that it will probably have a Round Zero of 57 max (but very likely a 56*), and then in Round One, a 56.

Like I said, nothing can be guaranteed, but I think you could allow yourself some very realistic hope.

So, to update my previous calculations:

RCSI = 30
    UCD = 77
    UCC = 25
    UL = 95

Total GEM Places = 227 (equals exactly 33.3% of all applicants, a great number)
    Total GEM Applicants = 680 (therefore 453 will miss out)

Therefore: 453/680 = 0.665 x 100 = 66.5%percentile. So, still judging by this years Gamsat Curve, everyone with a 55-56 and above should get a place somewhere. (this still doesn't include people with UK scores from september, but I can't see that being too big a factor)

Advertisement