Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking landlord for a new matress

Options
  • 10-02-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about peoples thoughts about asking my landlord for a new mattress. As background information i have rented the room in a house for 3 years ( the house is not owner occupied). I have anyways paid my rent on time and the landlord has only had to replace a toaster and tv that wore out. I realise the landlord does not have to replace the tv, but it was their tv that they left there when the house was rented out, so that is why they decided to replace it. The toaster was replaced with a €10 tesco job that didn't actually fit slices of bread in it, so i had to go and buy one myself.

Anyway, back to the mattress. When i first moved in the person who was in the room i am in now asked for the mattress to be replaced and the landlord didn't. That person moved out soon after for an unrelated reason and i moved into the room they vacated. The mattress is so bad that i have two memory foam toppers on it and i can still feel the springs in the matress. The is absolutley no padding in the mattress and you are sleeping on springs directly (hence the need for the memory foam toppers). I've put up with the mattress all this time with the aid of the memory foam, however i have hurt my back and the poor support in the matress is exacerbating things.

I'd be prepared to contribute or split the cost with my landlord, however this is where things get tricky. I'm not originally from Ireland and i don't know how long i will stay (or even in this house). If i decide to stay in Ireland i will be looking at buying in18mths or so and then i have spent money on a matress that i don't get to take with me ( and therefore have to buy a new matress). If i decide to leave ireland, again i've spent money that is utimately wasted. If i decide to buy a matress myself and stay in ireland that's all good, but if i buy it and leave, again i've just wasted (even more) money.

When would/should a landlord replace the matresses? To be honest all three matresses in the house are just as bad. I got the second memory foam topper orignally when my sister came to visit and i had to pad her matress out with that, a thick padded sleeping bag opened out and a fleecy blanket.

Also my rent hasn't changed in the three years i have been there even though other similar rooms for rent on daft are quite a bit cheaper. The landlord only rents out two of the three rooms available. My salary has dropped by around €300 p/fortnight in the 3 years, but i don't want to move out until i either buy or leave Ireland as i like the house and location.

So should i be approaching my landlord or a new matress? How much say should a tenent get in choosing a new matress? I'd be worried they would get something that isn't much better than what i currently have.

Sorry for the long rambling post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭lau1247

not sure of the legality side of things but I think you can just ask, don't even mention about sharing the cost.

I previously live in two different rented house and the matress was pretty much soft and and had no support..

Is there no other house in the same area to rent?? from what you're saying about it being pricier than others on daft and your salary drop. It might make sense to move out plus you'll probably get a decent bed.

That to me is a no brainer..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Of course you should definately ask for a new mattress.
    It is not an expensive or unrealistic request from a tenant who has been there for three years.
    It is really not a big deal and if the landlord makes it one, leave.

Good luck.

Advertisement