Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Prophets - PREDICTIONS 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paperplane93

Also, in every exam they either ask Literary Genre or Cultural Context, and Literary Genre isn't on this year so it's almost definitely gonna be Cultural Context unless they decide to catch us out. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

nicenri wrote: »
    liverpool lad: Thank you a million times over. Our teacher was too lazy to do much stair with us so I had no idea where to start! :)

No problem at all. I never understand why teachers leave Stair just because it is 30 marks! its more than the long question in Prós na Gaeilge, same as Filíocht Ainmnithe and just 5 shy of Dánta Dualgais Breise. It's an easy section to get near full marks in if you learn the relevant points well and if you start with this question you will gain time to answer the other questions and will start on a high if you know the information and have it written down, you know you have points gained!

Also for anyone learning Canúintí as part of Stair (not sure if it was up last year, no paper in front of me) be able to give examples like Prátaí Preataí and Fataí for the differences in the different dialects. they are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

Ok guys, I'm kind of screwed for the Regional in Geography.

Can anybody advise me what I should learn, taking into account that I have one day to study for it?

Example: Primary in Ireland
    Secondary in Paris Basin
    Urban Growth in India etc.

Did anybody get tips off teachers or Leeson St. teachers?

Thank YOU! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Hannahx

sroseb wrote: »
    GEOGRAPHY- REGIONAL WORRIERS, THIS MIGHT HELP!

I made a quick list out of the regions asked since 2006 (when the course was updated and changed). I was terrified of having to learn each aspect of physical, primary, secondary and tertiary sectors of each region. No way would I have the time. Hopefully this list will help me and you too!
    Here's the questions asked and the region I would do for the question, and the number of times the question has been asked
    *Primary economic activities in an Irish region (West- Agriculture) - asked 3 times so far.
    *Secondary economic activities in an Irish region (West- manufacturing)- asked once so far.
    *Impact of EU enlargement on Irish economy (Like on Fishing sector in west, subsidies and encouragement of foreign investment) -Asked twice so far.
    *Primary activites in an EU region (Mezzigiorno- agriculture) Asked twice so far.
    *Manufacturing in a Eu region ( a very specific question mind you, but I'd do P.B) asked once so far.
    *Population distribution in an EU region- Mezzigiorno- asked once so far.
    *Tertiary activities in an EU region ( Mezzigiorno) Asked FOUR times so far!
    *Urban growth in an EU region- (Paris Basin) Asked THREE times so far.
    *Culture of Sub-continental region (Brazil/Indian sub continent) Asked FOUR times so far!
    *Primary activites in subcontinental region-(Brazil/India) asked twice so far.

Hope this helps narrow it down!
    I stilk an unsure do you mean tonlearn all that regional geog or not to learn it?
    Will you please reply :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Hi everyone, im a little stuck on paper 1, trying to get my hands on an essay for paper 1 irish HL on the economy to learn off
    if anyone can help me id be delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 trundlebee

Hannahx wrote: »
    I stilk an unsure do you mean tonlearn all that regional geog or not to learn it?
    Will you please reply :-)

Ok well what I did was I did that list.
    I didn't study Dublin at all.
    because for the Irish regional questions they ask you
    eg; primary activities in AN IRISH REGION. (you can choose!!)
    so I focussed all my irish regional work on the west.
    SAME with EU
    eg; primary activities in an EU REGION (you can choose between mezz and p.b!!)
    so it's not necessary to study every aspect of P.B or DUB if you focus on the peripherals.
    BUT LEARN ALL OF INDIAN SUB CONT. including the map, that's set to come up this year. especially the cultural aspect!!!

however, there are exceptions to this method.
    BECAUSE some questions do not come under primary secondary and tertiary
    eg; population distribution in an EU region -mezz
    and urban growth in an EU region- P.B

hope this helps!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 trundlebee

_BANKSY_ wrote: »
    Geography Geoecology

I have learned the Tropical Rainforest biome and human interactions with the tropical rainforest Biome very well. I have not learned soils.

However, is it possible for all three questions on the geoecology option to be asked on soils?

yeah I'm banking on human interactions with a biome, there's a definite pattern. unless they decide to be cheeky this year! but that behaviour seems to be only found in the english department, pricks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aisclancy

hi peoples,
    anyone have any idea on which, either theme or cultural context will come up?!
    thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Both of them are tipped to be on the paper this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No one actually knows but they're the two most likely modes to come up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aisclancy

Thank u!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paperplane93

Really feel that Cultural context will come up, not sure about other two though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sharmadd

I damn hope CULTURAL CONTEXT will come up. As that is the only comparative I've studied. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

sharmadd wrote: »
    I damn hope CULTURAL CONTEXT will come up. As that is the only comparative I've studied. :/

Same, if it doesn't im screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

If I do Boland and Dickinson really well and also have yeats and Kavanagh done reasonably well should I be okay for the poetry section.?

What topics for Hamlet.? I have Claudius done really well and also the theme of revenge..and the complexities of hamlet.what else?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

I'd say the theme of appearance versus reality/deception could be a good one to do for Hamlet. I'm going to do his soliloquies too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

lmwell wrote: »
    HL IRISH AISTE

I'm studying mainly recession/economy-type essays

keywords I think will be important in the aiste title:

Difhostaiocht (unemployment)
    Polaiteoiri (politicians)
    Saint (greed)
    An toghchain (the election)
    Abharachas (materialism)
    Cumhacht (power)
    Drochstad na tire (bad state of country)
    Todhchai (future)

I'm going to have a good idea on Alcol, fadhbanna soisialta, etc. but I'm sort of banking on economy.

hi imwell.is there any chance you could email me your essay on the economy?if not where do you think is the best place to attain one.i cant seem to find one online at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

I am thinking cultural context and general vision. This is my reasoning

2010 gvv and lg
    2009 theme and cc
    2008 theme and lg
    2007 gvv and cc
    2006 theme and cc
    2005 gvv and lg
    2004 theme and lg
    2003 cc and gvv
    2002 theme and lg
    2001 theme and lg

:D

Following that pattern in the papers Theme is a definate, and i would guess lg would come up with that :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smbledgend

anyone have predictions for business.... i am ****ed for it:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

magicianz wrote: »
    Following that pattern in the papers Theme is a definate, and i would guess lg would come up with that :O

Literary Genre isn't on the course this year. Only 3 on every year so if you study 2 you're guaranteed a question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emma123abc

Learning Boland, Dickinson and Wordsworth well and Yeats if I'm stuck for poetry... Should I be ok?

What theorems are people learning for Higher Level maths?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

emma123abc wrote: »
    Learning Boland, Dickinson and Wordsworth well and Yeats if I'm stuck for poetry... Should I be ok?

What theorems are people learning for Higher Level maths?

:)

De Moivres, Factor theorem, perpendicular distance one. Can't remember the rest off the top of my head!

Oh and the integration ones (cone and sphere) if you're doing that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

polka dot wrote: »
    De Moivres, Factor theorem, perpendicular distance one. Can't remember the rest off the top of my head!

Oh and the integration ones (cone and sphere) if you're doing that question.
    I'm doing all of that as well as the Trig proofs. Hopefully that'll be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 moirak88

My brother is doing the leaving cert this year and
    I have been looking through the thread and i have so far obtained English and Business predictions
    i was hoping someone could help with engineering, Ag science Maths and music predictions! ( All Higher level)

He is stressing out seven fold so i just want to help out in any way i can :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dodgybarnet

Would I be OK for Regional Geography if I learned

Characteristics of regions
    Primary Activities in Mezzogiorno/India
    Secondary Activities in Dublin/India
    Tertiary Activities in Dublin.
    Urban area in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 moirak88

Then memorize.. i did my leaving cert 4 years ago.. i have poor Irish to say the least but because i memorized a good essay i managed a B in it..... u will lose up to 20 marks for not having content to match the title but 80 marks are up for grabs if u memorize a good essay......Look up some good phrases that are mainly used in gaeltact areas so your essay is more fluent and not overly technical!

Can anyone gime a few styles of writting? Jno for the test tomorrow please

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

Hannahx wrote: »
    Can anyone gime a few styles of writting? Jno for the test tomorrow please

If you mean a question on the comprehension's style ya?

Use of images, metaphors, similes, personification.
    Using "sound" words- alliteration, onomatopoeia, assonance.
    Use of senses-sight, sound, smell,touch.
    Creating atmosphere using any of above.
    Use of colour.

Language
    -to give info.(why, when, where etc.)
    -to make an argument.
    -to persuade
    -to tell a story(narrative)
    -aesthetic language(heightens perception and feeling)
    -subtle or direct language

Short clear sentences or long wandering ones.
    Comparing and contrasting.

Hope this helps
    Good luck!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pinkeymonkey

hi i'm not sure if any one will be online tonight?
    i was wondering does any one know any definate essays i will be safe with learning in human processes geo??
    any tips would be a great help thanks

• Advertisement

Augumented reality you are a life saver thank you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement