Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Prophets - PREDICTIONS 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

answer me wrote: »
    Biology OL anyone please please i really need it!!
    Really, there's no way at all of finding out. Just accept it and study.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭xEmily2011

Repeat2011 wrote: »
    Any predictions for geography?

Ya cant really predict geography but the same thing comes up every year. just asked in different orders. If i got my mock paper in the LC id be DELIGHTED :D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

NotExactly wrote: »
    It means SFA if it was on your mock TBH, they're only interested in making money.

I dunno, our Irish teacher pointed out that the comprehensions even run in the same vein as what'll come up on the Leaving. They do a good job at picking likely questions IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Steve!

Tabular Statement 100 marker in Accounting maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

id say club, ratios and incomplete for the 100's in acc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 FreshTillDeath

Predictions for Economics HL

The government
    National Debt
    The Multiplier + Circular flow of income
    Oligopoly
    Perfect Competition
    Factors of Production - Capital + Enterprise
    International Trade
    Economic growth + Development

Since the leaving cert is made out between November and January, the budget was high priority so I guess topics related to it will come up + Ways to get out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ShotgunBoy

English HL

It's Wordsworth's last year so there's a possibility he could come up.

And generally there's ALWAYS a female poet.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭xEmily2011

ShotgunBoy wrote: »
    English HL

It's Wordsworth's last year so there's a possibility he could come up.

And generally there's ALWAYS a female poet.

Dickinson and Boland havent been up since 2005 or something...they are defo a shoe in for this year :) xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 xtrcy17x

Hi was just wondering if anyone knows whether a biome question always comes up in the geoecology section of the LC geography paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

quick piece of advise - everyone went for Boland last year because she was so heavily tipped

guess what happened and screwed people over so badly on the day

predictions are predictions just like tips for a horse race are tips and when they go wrong you have to be ready to accept it

just remember that before trying to take predictions from anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I really hope Frost comes up. My English teacher said there's a good chance that it will be him, Dickinson and Boland. *fingers crossed*

Bimse Buan, Jack and Gealt are tipped for HL Irish.
    johnmcdnl wrote: »
    quick piece of advise - everyone went for Boland last year because she was so heavily tipped

guess what happened and screwed people over so badly on the day

predictions are predictions just like tips for a horse race are tips and when they go wrong you have to be ready to accept it

just remember that before trying to take predictions from anyone

I can't believe that people had the nerve to complain about that after the exam last year even though they're the people that only studied 1/5 poets. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

kilrush wrote: »
    my chemistry teacher thinks winkler method will almost definitely be on it and shes pretty good at this kind of thing

Wow you really think? (sarcastic)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Repeat2011 wrote: »
    Any predictions for geography?

I haven't got any direct predictions but I did geography as an extra subject last year and I managed an A2 with some seriously exam focused learning as I didn't have a lot of time to invest in it.

These were my main questions:

Physical:
    Landform development - always on the paper
    Human interaction with rock cycle /natural processes - always
    Sedimentary rock and resulting landscape
    Igneous rocks
    Metamorphic was on it last year, bit of a shock
    Know all the labeled diagrams for the first part of the question

Regional:
    Know about the photos and maps and be able to draw decent sketch maps of the regions you studied.
    Core: Sedcondary, tertiary, (I did Paris and knew a few statistics for Dublin so I could write the same answer just about Dublin)
    Peripheral: I did all 3 primary, secondary, tertiary for Mezz
    India / Brazil / SW USA one of these do some questions
    Culture
    Changing borders over time

Geoecology:
    Biome Characteristics
    Human Impact on a biome
    Realistically you could get away with solely the above 2. I did the rain forest biome and it was very easy. I did soil characteristics which was also very easy to cover myself.
    This is by far the easiest part of the paper to get a ridiculous amount of marks for so little time spent studying.

I don't know what elective you do but last year the questions were fine and were as predicted with no deviation from past papers.

Hope that helps :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

Im a mature student studying pass english at home. Anyone have any advice on poets etc. As i didnt have a mock exam or anyhting. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Vaselina

Victoria. wrote: »
    I haven't got any direct predictions but I did geography as an extra subject last year and I managed an A2 with some seriously exam focused learning as I didn't have a lot of time to invest in it.

These were my main questions:

Physical:
    Landform development - always on the paper
    Human interaction with rock cycle /natural processes - always
    Sedimentary rock and resulting landscape
    Igneous rocks
    Metamorphic was on it last year, bit of a shock
    Know all the labeled diagrams for the first part of the question

Regional:
    Know about the photos and maps and be able to draw decent sketch maps of the regions you studied.
    Core: Sedcondary, tertiary, (I did Paris and knew a few statistics for Dublin so I could write the same answer just about Dublin)
    Peripheral: I did all 3 primary, secondary, tertiary for Mezz
    India / Brazil / SW USA one of these do some questions
    Culture
    Changing borders over time

Geoecology:
    Biome Characteristics
    Human Impact on a biome
    Realistically you could get away with solely the above 2. I did the rain forest biome and it was very easy. I did soil characteristics which was also very easy to cover myself.
    This is by far the easiest part of the paper to get a ridiculous amount of marks for so little time spent studying.

I don't know what elective you do but last year the questions were fine and were as predicted with no deviation from past papers.

Hope that helps :)

hi i'm also studying geo outside school! Wondering, what were your main study methods as this has been a bit of a quandary for me all year!?

Vaselina wrote: »
    hi i'm also studying geo outside school! Wondering, what were your main study methods as this has been a bit of a quandary for me all year!?

The main thing I did was to reduce to whole thing down to what I really needed to do and this made me feel a lot better. I knew I didn't know every single thing on the course like a person who had done it since 4th year but what I did know, I knew well.

All my exam questions I basically had on 1 A4 sheet of paper each. These were lists of SRPs (relevant points just in case you don't know. You have to have so many of these per question in order to get the marks. Each point = marks). I had them very colourful and they were organised into sections of the exam.

For the geoecology I learned off A standard essays and I would suggest the same to anyone. I gave such a feeling of security going into the exam knowing I could get full marks in that question and I did that first as well in the exam which was great so I didn't feel like I knew nothing in the exam and freak out. I did biome characteristics, human impact on a biome - for that I did deforestation and I also did soil characteristics just to cover myself but didn't need it.

Get out all the past papers and any qs like the section As and make sure you can do all of them. These are brilliant marks to get in the exam because there's one in every section :)

Be smart with things like your regional geography because you can learn off a whole load of stuff and just end up getting confused and know nothing. Do like a skeleton of a question that you'll use and can be used for a load of questions and then just fill in the blanks depending on the question.

A few of my friends in school had Rapid Revision I think it was. It was basically a book of essays and I heard really good things about it although I never had it myself.

The whole thing for me studying at home was just to accept that I'd never get the entire syllabus covered and to just do exam focused learning. It can be a big unnerving at times especially about 1-2 weeks before the exam when the 'oh god what have I done' feelings begin to set in but you'll be ok. A bit of focused cramming in the next 2 months will do you wonders and everything will be fresh in your mind and it's actually an advantage over people who have been writing waffly answers in school.

The best thing I did was to sit down with the papers and drew a few columns and made a table of when the different questions were coming up. Much more effective at this stage if you haven't done this than staring at a book. You'll see a very definite pattern and it will be so reassuring.

Hope that helps a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

What are people focusing on for HL history, only being offered OL in class but im doing HL by myself. Anyone have any ideas what topics are expected to come up?? Any help would be great:D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mozzypuffs

I think people should stop predicting Irish as this is the last year of this course as it has changed and that means anything could come up!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Vaselina

Victoria. wrote: »
    The main thing I did was to reduce to whole thing down to what I really needed to do and this made me feel a lot better. I knew I didn't know every single thing on the course like a person who had done it since 4th year but what I did know, I knew well.

All my exam questions I basically had on 1 A4 sheet of paper each. These were lists of SRPs (relevant points just in case you don't know. You have to have so many of these per question in order to get the marks. Each point = marks). I had them very colourful and they were organised into sections of the exam.

For the geoecology I learned off A standard essays and I would suggest the same to anyone. I gave such a feeling of security going into the exam knowing I could get full marks in that question and I did that first as well in the exam which was great so I didn't feel like I knew nothing in the exam and freak out. I did biome characteristics, human impact on a biome - for that I did deforestation and I also did soil characteristics just to cover myself but didn't need it.

Get out all the past papers and any qs like the section As and make sure you can do all of them. These are brilliant marks to get in the exam because there's one in every section :)

Be smart with things like your regional geography because you can learn off a whole load of stuff and just end up getting confused and know nothing. Do like a skeleton of a question that you'll use and can be used for a load of questions and then just fill in the blanks depending on the question.

A few of my friends in school had Rapid Revision I think it was. It was basically a book of essays and I heard really good things about it although I never had it myself.

The whole thing for me studying at home was just to accept that I'd never get the entire syllabus covered and to just do exam focused learning. It can be a big unnerving at times especially about 1-2 weeks before the exam when the 'oh god what have I done' feelings begin to set in but you'll be ok. A bit of focused cramming in the next 2 months will do you wonders and everything will be fresh in your mind and it's actually an advantage over people who have been writing waffly answers in school.

The best thing I did was to sit down with the papers and drew a few columns and made a table of when the different questions were coming up. Much more effective at this stage if you haven't done this than staring at a book. You'll see a very definite pattern and it will be so reassuring.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Wow thanks so much for taking your time to do that! So you only learned d3 geoecology qs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'll eat my hat if Boland/Dickinson/Wordsworth doesn't come up for English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Wordsworth hasnt been on the new english course yet and isnt coming up next year.. would love it if he came up!

Vaselina wrote: »
    Wow thanks so much for taking your time to do that! So you only learned d3 geoecology qs?

No problem I know what it feels like to have to do a subject by yourself. Yeah I only did the 3. You can basically split the geoecology section into qs on biomes and qs on soils. There are only 2 possible qs on biomes and at least one has come up every single year.

I did soil characteristics as a soil one just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭squishness

Gav77 wrote: »
    What are people focusing on for HL history, only being offered OL in class but im doing HL by myself. Anyone have any ideas what topics are expected to come up?? Any help would be great:D

I don't know what topics you're doing. I assume you're doing Late Modern and not Early Modern. We're doing America, Dictatorship and Democracy, Sovereignity and Partition and the Northern Ireland one for the document.

Not Eucharistic Congress that much that's for sure.

All the case studies (obviously) eg. Belfast, Jarrow March
    Stalin and Lenin's Russia
    USSR's role in the war
    Britain's role in the war/Britain during the war
    The Treaty Commission/The Treaty (1921? I think. Don't have my notes on me.)
    JJ McElligott and how FF and Cumann na nGaedhael tackled Ireland's economic situation.
    Vietnam... not so much though.
    Reagan's role as President
    Civil Rights Movement
    Montgomery Bus Boycott
    Counter-culture, youth culture, multi-culturalism
    Economic bust in the US
    Cold War
    Changes in Technology (wouldn't come up by itself though...)
    Red Scare/McCarthyism

You can't really narrow down history that much though. :rolleyes: I basically just typed out everything that wasn't up last year. Dictatorship and Democracy no one is quite sure of though. American everyone thinks it's going to be Montgomery/Civil Rights. Ireland ... it's really a toss up but hopefully it's going to be the Treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Megan.mcgowan

Does anyone have any ideals about Chemistry HL? I got 37 on the mock and havent been doing well all year but now have grinds so hoping to stick out the honours and get a pass! Any thoughts/ideas would be really helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Repeat2011

home ec anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 triedtwice

Protein for Q1 with milk / eggs
    family - disabled people within the family unit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

I believe one of these 3 poets will come up
    Frost
    Hopkins
    Boland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭soup1

oh i love to see these threads :) signals desperation to me :) I could tell you over and over again to leave nothing to chance kids, but i doubt any of you would listen. At this stage i almost look forward to laughing at the teary eyed fortune tellers leaving the exam hall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

soup1 wrote: »
    oh i love to see these threads :) signals desperation to me :) I could tell you over and over again to leave nothing to chance kids, but i doubt any of you would listen. At this stage i almost look forward to laughing at the teary eyed fortune tellers leaving the exam hall!

:(

You have a seriously warped sense of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

soup1 wrote: »

However valid your point is (which I do agree, predictions only cause trouble!) I really think you could of put it in a nicer way. But then again I get the impression you were meaning to cause offense. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement