Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Prophets - PREDICTIONS 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 x.Ais.x

Damo C wrote: »
    Ais if you look at the trend over the past few years you will notice that lig sinn i gcathu has come up every second year so it could come up this year..clare sa speir is unlikely i d say to come up..Faoiseamh has come up every year since 2007 so theres a high chance it will come up and not sure about nil aon ni!
    K.... I was thing the fact that faoiseamh kept coming up might mean it's due a break though... Yeah I s'pose I should probably learn lig sin... Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Shirlz.

x.Ais.x wrote: »
    I'm thinking of leaving out both faoiseamh and nil son ni, is that too risky?... Also thinking about leaving out Clare sa speir and lig sin, just can't stand them like!

And btw any ideas for hl history dictatorship + democracy, i'm banking on hitler/stalin/Mussolini and considering doing the jarrow march which I haven't looked at since 5th year... :/

Is That For HL Or OL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Loads of people are saying that they are leavibg out nil aon no because of the carnal o'searchaigh thing!!! But a's my teacher pointed out ....... If they didn't want him on the course they would have taken him off the new course!! So I wouldn't cancel him out because they have not removed him from the new course!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JamrockRover

HL Irish - Lig Sinn, An Bhean Og
    Gealt, Bimse, Nil Aon Ni
    An t-Oilean, Maigdileanna, Dan Do Mhelissa
    Essay money/politics
    Stair Ruraiocht or Fiannaioct and Ogham

My bets in anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Hi everyone, just to let ye know, I'm running a poll on which poets will come up on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056282021 . . .if anyone thinks they've cracked the code for this year, or just wants to vote for who they really think will come up, your votes will be really useful. . .Thanks!smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 x.Ais.x

Shirlz. wrote: »
    Is That For HL Or OL?
    Irish or history? Well I'm hl in both.
    Tips on history would be reeeeally useful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

That guy who did like 30 subjects last year has predictions up for this year.

See here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MellissaO

any geography that is going to come up please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 coffee.bean

Any body have any french hl predictions..?
    In biology hl we were guarenteed enzyme experiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 thunderthreads

Home Ec:
    Protein/ Carbs
    Eggs/Milk/Cereals/Nuts & Legumes.
    Vitamins a & C
    Household Technology
    Family Resource Management
    The Family
    The Family as a Caring Unit
    Textiles
    Social Studies elective: education (comes up every year), unemployment and work (childcare).

History:
    European:
    Propaganda in Nazi Germany
    Rise of Fascism in Mussolini's Italy
    Totalitarianism in the USSR - Lenin AND Stalin
    American:
    Racial conflict (Martin Luther K + Bus boycott) / Civil Rights
    Role of women and the family
    Later American Foreign Policy (end of Vietnam war, moon landing - cold war etc)
    Irish (later):
    Emergence of Sinn Fein (1918)
    Treaty Negotiations & lead up to Civil War
    Impact of WWII on N.Ireland & the Republic

Art History:
    Irish:
    Newgrange - Bronze Age (also look over high crosses, chalices, brooches- Pre-Christian)
    Georgian (comes up every year)
    European:
    Gothic architecture/painting
    daVinci
    Caravaggio
    Giotto
    Donatello

Appreciation - Exhibition Q

English :
    Poetry:
    Boland AND Dickinson haven't come up in 6 years - they always include at least 1 female poet
    on each paper, and they're the only 2 on our course. AND Dickinson isn't on next year's course.. so to be honest,
    I'd study them and them only!
    Hamlet:
    Character of Hamlet
    Role of female characters in the play
    Comparative:
    Theme/Issue
    General vision & viewpoint

I hope that info helps some people.. it's all from the combination of teacher's predictions, student's predictions and study courses I myself, and friends have gone to!

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Damo C

Thunderthreads: Rich is on our course for this year as well!

Rich always comes up though.
    Dickinson and Boland haven't come up in 6 years, either of them.. so you're guaranteed one of them will pop up - if not both of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Damo C

According to my papers she only came up in 2008 and 2010 since 2000!

My advice is just look at Boland and Dickinson, seriously. Don't confuse yourself with other poets. Neither of them have come up since 2005, so I wouldn't even open a book to look at the rest. And Dickinson you could put money on practically, as she isn't on next year's poetry course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My advice is just look at Boland and Dickinson, seriously. Don't confuse yourself with other poets. Neither of them have come up since 2005, so I wouldn't even open a book to look at the rest. And Dickinson you could put money on practically, as she isn't on next year's poetry course.
    And when neither of them come up?

Like people banked on Boland last year because she was a "sure thing"?

The only way you're *guaranteed* to get at least one poet you have studied is to have studied at least five.

Ok, you may choose to concentrate a bit more on a couple of those if you feel they're more likely, but to be sure of seeing a familiar poet, you must cover five at least at a basic level.

There is no rule that says a female poet *has* to come up.

There is no rule that says a poet will come up because they haven't been up in years.

And the SEC are getting fed-up with teachers / students predicting and cutting the course to the barest of bones, and have been deliberately throwing in some unexpected twists over the last couple of years.

I gave my opinion, that's all. There's no need to bash it or come across arguementative. I'm doing what everyone else is doing on this post, and I gave my own personal predictions, along with some of my teacher's predictions. Whatever.

I gave my opinion, that's all. There's no need to bash it or come across arguementative. I'm doing what everyone else is doing on this post, and I gave my own personal predictions, along with some of my teacher's predictions. Whatever.
    No-one is bashing you.

What we are trying to do is point out (to you and everyone else reading) is that you are adopting a very risky strategy.

Hell, you might even get lucky with it! ... but it's a long, long way from being a safe bet.

I doubt teachers and Leaving Cert course instructors, would put us in such a risky position. Anyone with common sense would know not to just go into the exams knowing just those those predictions and nothing else. They're just N.B's for the tests, and major areas for people to look over.

I doubt teachers and Leaving Cert course instructors, would put us in such a risky position. Anyone with common sense would know not to just go into the exams knowing just those those predictions and nothing else. They're just N.B's for the tests, and major areas for people to look over.
    Fair enough.

But what you actually said was:
    ... and that's what I responded to. :)

Ok, I'm confusing myself now..
    Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PaddyP056

Cicero is quite likely to be the second prose unseen this year on the Latin paper :pac: :pac: :pac:

Indeed,as is Horace but hes horrible to learn off

Cumann na Ngaedhael/ Fianna Fail comes up EVERY YEAR
    Montgomery Bus Boycott should come up along with American Foreign Policy
    And I think theyll ask a question this year on comparing Stalin and Lenin on economic policies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

PaddyP056 wrote: »
    Cumann na Ngaedhael/ Fianna Fail comes up EVERY YEAR
    Montgomery Bus Boycott should come up along with American Foreign Policy
    And I think theyll ask a question this year on comparing Stalin and Lenin on economic policies

Considering they asked a question on stalin last year I doubt one will be repeated this year, I'd focus on hitler/mussolini foreign policy, hitler/mussolini rise to power, nazi propaganda/nurembourg rallies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

Art - Newgrange ~~ irish history . european ~~ botticeli , leaonardo michelangelo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Regarding History, would it be safe to leave out World War 2 completely? I have everything covered bar WW2 and France in European History and dont think I will have time to write another essay, as I have yet to learn every single essay I have wrote :/

For America, I have everything covered bar Foreign Policy before 1972 (Cold War), The Affluent Society and Technology (although I do have a Moon Landing Essay)

Irish History...well I have Northern Ireland covered, partition, Causes of the Civil War, Contreversial Treaty, FF,CG, Split in Sinn Feinn, Religion/Language/Culture and I plan to do Ireland during the war this weekend...

Do people think that this will suffice?

Regarding History, would it be safe to leave out World War 2 completely? I have everything covered bar WW2 and France in European History and dont think I will have time to write another essay, as I have yet to learn every single essay I have wrote :/

For America, I have everything covered bar Foreign Policy before 1972 (Cold War), The Affluent Society and Technology (although I do have a Moon Landing Essay)

Irish History...well I have Northern Ireland covered, partition, Causes of the Civil War, Contreversial Treaty, FF,CG, Split in Sinn Feinn, Religion/Language/Culture and I plan to do Ireland during the war this weekend...

Do people think that this will suffice?

Oh definately! If anything you are covering too much!! Its better to cover a few things really well than a good few sort of well.(not that im accusing u of not covering them really well).
    For America: Im learning montgomery and foreign policy.
    Dictatorship and Democracy: Lenin,Stalin, Hitler and Mussolinis Rise to power and The Jarrow March
    And then for Ireland Im learning all of Cumann na nGaedheal and Fianna Fail and the treaty.
    Hopefully itll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

PaddyP056 wrote: »
    Oh definately! If anything you are covering too much!! Its better to cover a few things really well than a good few sort of well.(not that im accusing u of not covering them really well).
    For America: Im learning montgomery and foreign policy.
    Dictatorship and Democracy: Lenin,Stalin, Hitler and Mussolinis Rise to power and The Jarrow March
    And then for Ireland Im learning all of Cumann na nGaedheal and Fianna Fail and the treaty.
    Hopefully itll be grand
    Hopefully! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grant92

hahaha you are some ****ebag... BAN ME!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TaraP1993

Anyone have any idea of what could come up for spanish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PaulSul

Anyone have an idea for H.L D.C.G and H.L Physics o and maybe O.L irish??
    My english teacher said Boland Wordsworth and Dickinson are the 3 to know for english! hope It helps!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement